User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Road Armor for 2800 BH

Since discovering I have to replace the leaf springs on my trailer due to the originals flattening out, I've also been looking at replacing the equalizers. Initially I had planned on going with the morryde cre's but now I'm looking at the Trailair Road Armor equalizers.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the two different equalizers I'm looking at or just the Road Armors? Has anyone installed these on the 2800bh and did they just bolt on, or did you need to make other changes. I think I will also be upgrading to heavy duty shackles and wet bolts while I'm at it.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbostinker View Post
    Since discovering I have to replace the leaf springs on my trailer due to the originals flattening out, I've also been looking at replacing the equalizers. Initially I had planned on going with the morryde cre's but now I'm looking at the Trailair Road Armor equalizers.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the two different equalizers I'm looking at or just the Road Armors? Has anyone installed these on the 2800bh and did they just bolt on, or did you need to make other changes. I think I will also be upgrading to heavy duty shackles and wet bolts while I'm at it.

Thanks!
    I haven't had a broken spring but I have some oscillations I'm trying to damp and thought they might work well because of their bidirectional nature. I reached out to lippert and they recommended agree for me. I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet as we have a baby coming this summer.

The big thing is that they use different length shackles based on you axles. I'll try to dig up the email explaining what size to use in a bit. Off to the OB with the DW.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was what the customer service rep with Lippert sent me RE: the shackle lengths. I hope this helps.

"The short shackle links (2.25" hole space dimension) will be used for 29.5" hanger spacing and the long shackle links (3.125" hole space dimension) will be used for 30.5" hanger spacing. Generally, the 33.5" wheel center spacing uses the short shackle links and the 35.5" wheel spacing uses the long shackle links."
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool thank you. I think I'll have to figure out the measurements on the hangers now. Have you seen anything about an increase/decrease in clearance between the top of the tires and bottom of the trailer by adding the road armor?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool thank you. I think I'll have to figure out the measurements on the hangers now. Have you seen anything about an increase/decrease in clearance between the top of the tires and bottom of the trailer by adding the road armor?
    That was specifically what I'd asked them about and they said they have no measurements to verify like the morryde has.

2019 Imagine 2600RB

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    That was specifically what I'd asked them about and they said they have no measurements to verify like the morryde has.

I actually just got off the phone with them and they really weren't able to provide much info on the road armor at all. Kinda makes me wonder about going with that product. It seems like it's an upgrade to the morryde but its difficult to purchase something when you can't find all the correct information on it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually just got off the phone with them and they really weren't able to provide much info on the road armor at all. Kinda makes me wonder about going with that product. It seems like it's an upgrade to the morryde but its difficult to purchase something when you can't find all the correct information on it.
    That's fair. It's a tough call. The cre Is proven, but I like the idea of the road armor's additional range of motion.

2019 Imagine 2600RB

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after some more research and talking to people/techs at both LCI and Grand Design, it seems the center of the bolt holes are closer together by 1.87" on the Road Armor which can be offset by using the longer (3 1/8") shackles. Still no exact word on minimum clearance between the top of the tire and bottom of the trailer. Typical answer I've received so far has been "about 3 inches should be good"

So the current plan for my trailer is to upgrade the leaf springs to 2200lb springs, equalizers to the Road Armors, and the tires to the Goodyear Endurance (slightly bigger and load range E instead of the D's I have. ) Then this summer I'll get a 5000 mile test drive out of the set up. Hopefully it all works out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any updates after the install and road testing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Road Armor. Waited 2 months for it. Went to put it on and won't work with my setup of 2-1/4" shackles. Needed to go to a 3-1/8" shackle. I just upgraded the 2-1/4" shackles to a heavy duty wet bolt kit, so I'm not doing that again. I wish id know that it wouldn't work from the beginning. Will be going with the Morryde equalizer.