User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple choices really. Given a choice between watching my wife being attacked or spending 10 years in prison working on my bench press, it's a no brainer.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bear sprays and similar devices seem like an inherently bad idea in the small confined space of a TT/RV.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a relatively new product out you might want to look at called "Reflex Protect". Type into your search engine for the details.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    Thought I would ask about some of the alternative self-defense methods that are being used in the RV world. This day and age the firearm issues can get a law- abiding person in a lot of trouble when doing nothing wrong. I hear ideas like using wasp spray because it sprays farther than pepper spray and there are no laws against trying to kill insects, at least not yet. lol. So, any good ideas?
    This is a very broad question. Are your speaking to "out and about" or in your home/RV. My recommendation would certainly be different depending on your answer. What level of training and responsibility are YOU willing to undertake prior to selection of your self defense method? If this topic is important to you, I would recommend formal training in your preferred method. Philosophical conversation is only good until you have to put reality in to action.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of you who think Bear spray is effective self defense I have some simple questions. Do you carry it with you everywhere you go, or is it just for those times you'll be attacked? Have you actually tried to deploy the spray in an extremely short period of time or do you keep it in your purse or man purse with the safety on?

Tools without training and mindset are just placebos.

And just for reality's sake, the only way Bear spray would be fatal is if you beat someone to death with the can.
    Jeff and Jen
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    For those of you who think Bear spray is effective self defense I have some simple questions.
    Do you carry it with you everywhere you go, or is it just for those times you'll be attacked?
    Have you actually tried to deploy the spray in an extremely short period of time or do you keep it in your purse or man purse with the safety on?
    Tools without training and mindset are just placebos.
    And just for reality's sake, the only way Bear spray would be fatal is if you beat someone to death with the can.
    It's about as useful as the mace or stun guns a lot of people carry (buried deep in their purse or backpack).

Unfortunately, as you eluded to, most weapons provide a false sense of security for the masses.
    I have a term I use for certain people, I call them "first wavers".
    These are the people that will die in the first wave of a zombie attack or martians landing.
    LOL
    First wavers represent most of the general public. The average Joe carrying a stun gun/mace/revolver or ninja sword also has a false sense of security because like you said, they don't have the proper training. In a real world scenario, I can easily close the gap and overpower most people because I have the element of surprise, and most people don't train for that.

About a hundred years ago in my younger days I was involved in several forms of martial arts. I also grew up in some tough neighborhoods and I got into a lot of fights. So I know what it's like to get beat down and I learned how not to. I figured out early on that my best weapon for self defense was my ability to run away from a fight. I have seen a lot of guys get their butts kicked because their ego wouldn't let them run and they underestimated their attacker.
    I'm 6'5'' 240, and carry a gun, but if a midget with a knife starts acting crazy... I'm running! My ego is fine especially when I'm not bleeding. My point is never assume any scenario is going to result in you having the upper hand just because you're bigger/stronger/younger/armed/etc. I've seen people that were scared miss every shot and die against an unarmed attacker. Real life doesn't play out like the movies and the good guy doesn't always win.
    Avoidance is always the desired approach.
    I've passed my valuable life lessons and training on to my dear wife so that we can work as a team to outrun, outwit or outfight our attacker(s).
    We try to avoid transitional spaces and maintain awareness of what others around us are doing. We don't stare at our phones while walking across the parking lot. We don't go to an ATM at 2am, or to protests, or walk down dark alleys. We try our best not to participate in any action that results in making ourselves targets or not being capable of defending ourselves (like getting drunk in public).
    Training is beneficial, so is being armed with whatever your weapon of choice is, but the #1 thing that keeps us safe is being aware of our surroundings and living our lives in such a way that we never intentionally put ourselves into a situation that has a high probability of resulting in our deaths.
    LOL
    I should print that out and frame it.
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 02-22-2020 at 11:39 AM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @DaveMatthewsBand

Absolutely frame worthy... Good advice.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best thing is avoidance. Even if you are armed or not, it is better to avoid the situation with a smart head and good awareness.

Spray is enough to stun someone and get away. If you have a person that is out for you and you spray them you can still gain the advantage by blurring their vision and cutting down on their ability to breathe. Anyway you cut it you are better off using it unless you end up spraying yourself which happens often. Watch out for the wind and keep your hands from your face after you spray.

Pocket knife, legal size, machete or some other type of breaker bar pipe can be useful. Even a large torque wrench or some other heavy item that can be easily wielded can be used as a weapon without getting into trouble for illegal carry. Even a roll of coins in the fist. or some soap in a sock, whatever you have available to you can be used in a pinch. Don't bring a <insert item> to a gun fight. Don't show your hand unless you are prepared for the other guy to draw on you, guns are everywhere. This is why you avoid confrontation because a .45 hollow point will kill a second degree black belt as fast as a drunk fat guy with a bat.

If it comes down to getting dirty and in close contact with another individual there are a few things to remember:

1. Either get away if you can or be aggressive. Most people are not trained fighters and once they get popped they will be reeling. Feint, and attack a different area, should net a few easy blows. Jab to the face will bring hands up and then a solid kick to the side of the knee will drop most people if done correctly. Same with a stomp kick and follow up jab to the nose. Inexperienced people will overreact, opening themselves up for an attack. Always punch or kick through the target, as if they are a foot further past where they actually are.

2. Eyes, nose, throat, balls and knees are the soft spots. You can add diaphragm area as well but body shots can be difficult to land when people are moving and defending.

3. Most people are righties and will favor that hand.

3. Unless you are confident, you don't want to be up close with people.

4. Elbows in close are incredibly effective

Always deescalate and attempt to remove yourself from the situation.
    Last edited by Aridon; 02-22-2020 at 01:09 PM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful when using wasp spray, even for wasps, it is very toxic. I like the ideas presented: situational awareness, removing oneself from the situation and if there are no alternatives to being injured or killed use your gun. There aren't any laws prohibiting you from shooting the guy coming at you with a knife, baseball bat, etc.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mindset. Training. Avoidance. And if unavoidable, extreme violence with no quarter given and using any and all weapons available. In my case, first choice is a number of small pellets delivered at high velocity.

There are generally going to be two fights, the first one physical and the second legal. You must win the first one before concerning yourself with the second.
    Jeff and Jen

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast