User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    self defense is a personal choice ... train and stand ready ... your mind is your best friend ... choices you make and where you go will make a difference ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calnca View Post
    Seriously, glad it worked for your daughter.

Just not my way/style of handling a potentially bad situation, must go back to that MP training in 67
    Thank you.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still ?

Quote Originally Posted by Calnca View Post
    Kimber, .45 caliber, laser/light......it's my "mobile castle" so I can defend it.....would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    WOW...That`s so old time to come up with something new, maybe an excuse with the name Rambo in it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m old......ha ha, so old time for sure

You take care of your loved ones and I’ll take care of mine,
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually don't get involved in these discussions because they rapidly deteriorate. I did read through the comments and my thoughts kept going back to the couple they found in shallow graves here in Texas down near the boarder. Now I don't know all the circumstances of how and why that happened, I just know stuff like that can and does happen.
    The wife and I discussed this issue, there are a lot of a-holes out there, criminal, stupid, drunks, rage, you name it, and we understand that you just can't mitigate 100% of the risk when traveling in an RV. But then you have some nut shooting up a mall or concert. I guess they figure they are so miserable they might as well make everyone else pay for their misery.

We can limit our risk by making smart decisions and at least trying to stay aware and avoid potentially risky situations. Look we are both in our 60s, smaller stature, just two people traveling alone, and that makes us a more likely target of opportunity. We try to eliminate as much opportunity as possible. That is why we plan our trips, have reservations in campgrounds along our route in advance of our trips, instead of spur of the moment tear assing across country with no plan at all. You will not catch us overnighting in a Walmart parking lot, isolated rest park, or boondocking out in bfe with no one else around. Just too risky. Yeah I know everyone has the right to pursue their happiness but you just can't do as you please anymore, you can be inviting trouble. Yeah guns, clubs, knives, bats,crowbars, sprays, name a weapon, a persons 6'2 250 pound frame looking bad ******, you can all come up with scenarios where it wouldn't matter what you carry or who you are, if you make yourself a target.

You can mitigate some risk. If someone knocks on our RV door there is no way in heck I'm gonna unlock and open that door if I can't see who's there looking out the slide window, especially in the middle of the night. They can beat our truck and RV to smithereens trying to get us to open the door and come outside, nope, we are not coming out to investigate. We will get the damage fixed but we are not going to increase our risk to confront a drunk, or some enraged want to be rambo. Yes we do have a 4' snapon metal prybar in the closet by the door, so what, false sense of security perhaps, but by minimizing our risk, I hope its never needed.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Alternative self-defense methods

Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I usually don't get involved in these discussions because they rapidly deteriorate. I did read through the comments and my thoughts kept going back to the couple they found in shallow graves here in Texas down near the boarder. Now I don't know all the circumstances of how and why that happened, I just know stuff like that can and does happen.
    The wife and I discussed this issue, there are a lot of a-holes out there, criminal, stupid, drunks, rage, you name it, and we understand that you just can't mitigate 100% of the risk when traveling in an RV. But then you have some nut shooting up a mall or concert. I guess they figure they are so miserable they might as well make everyone else pay for their misery.

We can limit our risk by making smart decisions and at least trying to stay aware and avoid potentially risky situations. Look we are both in our 60s, smaller stature, just two people traveling alone, and that makes us a more likely target of opportunity. We try to eliminate as much opportunity as possible. That is why we plan our trips, have reservations in campgrounds along our route in advance of our trips, instead of spur of the moment tear assing across country with no plan at all. You will not catch us overnighting in a Walmart parking lot, isolated rest park, or boondocking out in bfe with no one else around. Just too risky. Yeah I know everyone has the right to pursue their happiness but you just can't do as you please anymore, you can be inviting trouble. Yeah guns, clubs, knives, bats,crowbars, sprays, name a weapon, a persons 6'2 250 pound frame looking bad ******, you can all come up with scenarios where it wouldn't matter what you carry or who you are, if you make yourself a target.

You can mitigate some risk. If someone knocks on our RV door there is no way in heck I'm gonna unlock and open that door if I can't see who's there looking out the slide window, especially in the middle of the night. They can beat our truck and RV to smithereens trying to get us to open the door and come outside, nope, we are not coming out to investigate. We will get the damage fixed but we are not going to increase our risk to confront a drunk, or some enraged want to be rambo. Yes we do have a 4' snapon metal prybar in the closet by the door, so what, false sense of security perhaps, but by minimizing our risk, I hope its never needed.
    This is basically what I and others have said... avoid danger at all costs and if you can’t, use your weapon of choice.
    No we can’t plan for every scenario but if it comes down to people trying to break into our RV while we’re there, we’re way better off with a gun than a 4 foot pry bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 02-28-2020 at 12:06 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too rarely get involved in these types of discussions but some really good stuff has been put out here.

I miss my guns, they have to stay with my daughters family in Texas as we have been crossing into Canada and plan to go again this summer. I like shooting, it's fun. I don't ever want to shoot a living creature, did that, over it.

Personal Security starts with awareness. I have had a number of questionable people turn around and walk the other way simply because I looked at them. No I didn't scare them, I just let them know I was aware of them.

It does not matter what physical defense method you use, it's all pretty useless if you don't have training. Your human mind will shut down, your animal mind will react, training provides a method for the animal mind to react with. In other words, you don't have time to think about, if you are trained you will react the way you were trained and you won't even think about it.

3 possible reactions; run, hide, fight. I list them in my order of preference.

But my first line of defense is always awareness. Not afraid or paranoid, but just look around. Look out the window before you open a door. As you pull into a parking area look around. Having grown up in the western US a nod is a kind of hello, it's also a friendly means to let folks know you see them.

Speaking of training, I love this "How to survive a knife fight" video. This guy is so cool and macho and I think he has the perfect answer. Youtube, How to survive a knife fight.

Another personal security technique that I learned later in life; there was a suicide murder at a place that I worked. It happened before I was hired. But the event triggered a required training session. The event happened several years before I arrived so the training had been distilled a couple of times to the minimum essence. But it basically evolved around one simple statement; "Absence of normal behavior". It took me a while to understand it.
    Last edited by D2Reid; 02-29-2020 at 10:28 AM.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor The_Traveling_Neelys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are both in corrections, so we take our security very seriously. I am not going to repeat what has already been said, because (1) they said it better and (2) it is some great advice.

I will say (1) have a code word; (2) consider a camera system to see what is going on around your RV; and (3) whatever plan you have, practice it.

In terms of safety, this video was helpful for us and we actually bought a few of the products: 10 Deadly RVers Mistakes (RV Safety & Security Tips Full Time RV Living)
    Truck: 2012 Ram 3500
    5er: 2018 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 35+ years as a LEO, my first level is situational awareness. Once it gets beyond that, my options are (in no particular order) Glock, Sig, Mossburg, and Ruger. In prepping for the full time gig, I'm going to mount the Ruger in a locking gun mount under my side of the bed. Kelly knows when my hackles get raised.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sig P938 and it stays concealed even in states where its ok to open carry
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717