User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternative self-defense methods

Thought I would ask about some of the alternative self-defense methods that are being used in the RV world. This day and age the firearm issues can get a law- abiding person in a lot of trouble when doing nothing wrong. I hear ideas like using wasp spray because it sprays farther than pepper spray and there are no laws against trying to kill insects, at least not yet. lol. So, any good ideas?
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my bear spray handy for angry bears and people acting like angry bears. It is suppose to have a range of 30 feet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kimber, .45 caliber, laser/light......it's my "mobile castle" so I can defend it.....would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because we stay on military installations a lot - firearms policies vary from command to command - my firearms are in climate controlled storage with the rest of our stuff. I'll second the bear spray recommendation (make sure it's labeled "bear spray" and not "pepper spray" if you plan on traveling to Canada, though). All that said, the closest we've come to a dangerous situation was with a pack of coyotes that chased my wife back into the Escapees park at dusk on her bicycle in New Mexico. She doesn't have much experience with firearms...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy enough with bear spray.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big boy rules. Concealed means concealed, even in conversation.

Having said the above, I myself would never break a local law and would just lie on the ground, blow my rape whistle and piss myself until help came if I were confronted. That's the correct choice right?

BTW, in most localities you can get in just as much trouble for using bear spray as a firearm. Both are considered weapons in NPEs (Non Permissive Environments) if they are used against people. OTOH, strict observance of the 4S rule will keep you out of most trouble. 4S Rule: 1)Stupid people, 2) Doing stupid things, at 3) Stupid times, and in 4) Stupid places.

Examples: Do you need to be at an ATM at 2:00am? Do you need to go to the protest march? Do you need to hang out with drunks at unruly bars? Do you need to wear the opposing team's jersey at the game?
    Last edited by JColeman; 02-20-2020 at 02:36 PM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trick is having an effective deterrent that is unlikely to cause a fatality if accidentally deployed or deployed against a loved-one in error. I expect bear spray could be fatal in the right circumstances, but I do feel a bit better about it than a gun. I personally don't care two cents about local laws. I hope to never use it on a person. If I do, I'll take the wrap.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea that wasp spray is effective as a defensive weapon is a myth. It is slightly irritating, while pepper spray hurts so much it can incapacitate you.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    The idea that wasp spray is effective as a defensive weapon is a myth. It is slightly irritating, while pepper spray hurts so much it can incapacitate you.
    Military grade pepper spray is the real deal. Consumer grade, not so much. Unpleasant for sure, but not disabling against a determined adversary.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to enter this debate in any substantial matter as I am a lifelong firearm enthusiast and have been a firearms instructor for a few decades now. One of the things I instruct upon is personal defense outside of the home, and make it VERY clear to my students that they need to be keenly aware of the law and its interpretations. If you believe you are ok with bear spray and using it on a human being, and do not possess as concealed carry license/reciprocity in the State your discharged in on a human, you can find yourself on the wrong side of the law in many States of the US - you can be charged with using a weapon! Further, never forget about potential civil consequences for States lacking castle doctrine and stand your ground laws.

So, know the laws. Know your limitations. Be at peace with how you decide you will react.

The one piece of advice I will give with regard to self defense, and it is the most important and also the most difficult for many people - you must learn to have situational awareness ALL OF THE TIME - all of the area details, the appearance and body language of everyone in proximity, escape/avoidance routes, check blind spots, and so-on. I can tell you since the era of cell phones, earbuds, and rush-rush-rush, people are more oblivious than ever to the situation they put themselves in. Awareness of the situation at all time is your best protection.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast