User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion Back up camera

IS it really necessary to spring for a Furrion? The TT is pre wired, so some camera to assist, but why not a cheaper model? WHat do you use? MY Arlo camera system at home is slowing being phased out by cheaper cameras that do the same thing (WYZE), is this like that too? Anyone try PODOFO, below?

Podofo Wireless Backup Camera 7" HD TFT LCD Vehicle Rear View Monitor + Waterproof Back Up Camera Night Vision Parking System with Car Cigarette Lighter Charger for Truck RV Trailer (NO GUIDE LINE)
    Product Title
    Podofo Wireless Backup Camera

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch for sales or promos and you might get lucky. I picked up a Furrion FOSO5TAASF, 5 inch monitor one rear camera, for 40% off retail price at a Camping World in Wilsonville OR. It was literally plug and play. Unless an alternate fits the Furrion fin holder, using something else means changing the mounting doesn't it?
    After one season of use, the Furrion was well worth the price, IMO.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have to reinvent the wheel. The Furrion is plug and play, it works well and they have good customer service.

Keep it simple
    Chris

2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2018 Chevrolet 2500HD

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the Furrion, and really like it. Yeah they cost a little more, but install is easy and fast (as long as you don't drop one of the screws). Worth the money in my opinion - DW and I don't yell at each other any more.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you used the search function on the forum? There are dozens (if not more) of posts on this topic.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Be sure to get the observation camera set up and not just the backup camera. It better and you can use it as a rear view going down the road.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have it and really like it. Easy set up.
    Grand Design Imagine 2020 2600 RB
    Bob and Kathy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased mine on Amazon for a cheaper price than the dealer and had them install it. The camera works well and gives you a bit more peace of mind when changing lanes. I have noticed dropped connection at times but usually turning off the monitor and then back on fixes the issue. Also, later in the summer I was having issues with the battery draining while boon-docking (had not purchased my normal 2, 6 volt batteries yet). Anyway, I was going through the trailer and turning off any unneeded electrical drains and I pulled the camera off because on my 28G it is always on if the 12 volt is on. While pulling it off I found that all the screws were stripped and there is no backing for the screws to bite into. My main concern was water leaking through the gasket due to the loose seal. I had some drywall inserts in the tool kit and drilled to fit the size and reinstalled the camera, luckily this pulled everything in compressing the seal enough to make me feel comfortable there is a leak proof seal. Moral of the story if you have a camera installed by the dealer or already from the factory it may be worth having a look to see how the seal is. Also, I am looking into adding a switch allowing me to turn off the camera.
    Last edited by bcv1218; 03-22-2020 at 06:57 PM.
    Scott O.
    2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins
    2019 28G Momentum

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ???? My camera only works when I have the trailer plugged in, or the "bypass" wire in the plug to keep the trailer lights on when in our site and unhooked.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holoview Wireless Observation Camera Alternative

I just installed a Haloview wireless camera and monitor. see https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    and
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its much less expensive. Its completely plug and play. If you don't use the Haloview adaptor the Haloview kit comes with everything you would need to simply screw it onto the outside of the Furion cover or into the trailer itself. You would need to drill a hole into the Furion cover for the wires to enter.

I would caution that the screws that both Furion and Haloview provide are tiny. I also found that the screws were over tightened on Furrrion adaptor GD installed on the trailer, so the screw holes were crushed and cracked (yet another example of poor RV workmanship). So I applied black exterior caulk to all the screws and seams to ensure it was sealed. The Haloview adaptor leaves a small hole at the top of the existing Furrion mount where the antenna for the Furrrion camera would go. I sealed it with the black caulk. I left a small opening at the bottom assuming that eventually water would enter and have to drain, and I'd prefer it to drain ouside.

At the monitor end I got three bars of signal strength in the cab of my pickup. The monitor can be turned off using the power button on the monitor. The 5 inch monitor is clear and detailed. The microphone on the camera was better than I expected. I could hear my wife and kid converse in the back yard quite clearly. Not sure how it would do in a windy or noisy enviroment. I decided to ditch the Holoview monitor mounting hardware, which is made of cheaper plastic. Instead I used two of my wife's hairbands to hold the monitor to the (useless when towing) rear view mirror. The monitor has adaptors and wiring that can be hardwired into the TV as well as the usual cigarette lighter style plug, which I used.

The wiring on my trailer turns the camera on whenever the lights are turned on. Obviously the power comes off the upper driving lights located just above the Furrion mount. Lights on, camera on.

Its a great alternative to the Furrion camera and monitor and a lot less expensive. On the downside the adaptor plate leaves a hole at the top of the OEM furrion mount, which has to be filled with caulk and the mounting hardware for the monitor is kind of cheezy. It will work, but maybe not for long. On the other hand it looks to be compatible with RAM brand mounts, which are top quality.
    Last edited by Dadeo6472; 03-30-2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: clean up misteaks ;-) add detail
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast