User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real World Experience

Getting ready to do a camera setup for my Solitude. I've seen lots of discussion about the Furrion versus Haloview. I like the Haloview (with repeater), but that means drilling a hole in the back of the rig, snaking wire through cabinetry, dropping the belly, etc. But my Solitude comes plug and play for the Furrion, both back and sides). It would be nice for once to have a simple project that goes in easy (Unless I just jinxed it. ).

For anybody with a ~40 foot trailer and Furrion system, what has been your experience? Does it provide stable video while driving, or is only really good for backing? Do you regret getting the Furrion and wished you had gone with a repeater setup? Thanks in advance.
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK
    2019 F350 Lariat Superduty DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggates View Post
    Getting ready to do a camera setup for my Solitude. I've seen lots of discussion about the Furrion versus Haloview. I like the Haloview (with repeater), but that means drilling a hole in the back of the rig, snaking wire through cabinetry, dropping the belly, etc. But my Solitude comes plug and play for the Furrion, both back and sides). It would be nice for once to have a simple project that goes in easy (Unless I just jinxed it. ).

For anybody with a ~40 foot trailer and Furrion system, what has been your experience? Does it provide stable video while driving, or is only really good for backing? Do you regret getting the Furrion and wished you had gone with a repeater setup? Thanks in advance.
    Well I don't have a 40' (just 27') and it currently cuts out at speed. One of my round-to-its is to replace the antenna with a bigger (taller) one to get above the trailer roof to see if that helps. To be honest I did not research enough. There are some systems that can use the Furrion mount (adapter) and power wiring.

Hope this helps a little.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following up to my earlier post on my Haloview camera.... now with 3000 miles of use.. The Haloview camera kit works well for us. It sometimes cuts out or pixelates and there is about half a second delay between real world and what you see on the monitor. You still need to check the mirrors! With a taller antenna or an antenna extension, I would think the dropouts would be completely eliminated.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the positive posts on Furrion, maybe my experience is not typical but after less than 2 years from installation, the camera got moisture inside and display in monitor is cloudy. The tech rep said sorry it is out of warranty but could try covering in rice and see if that removes moisture and then try to reseal. If that doesn't work, $158 for replacement camera. Think I will try a different company.

Charlie 2
    Imagine 2600RB
    F-150 Eco

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie 2 View Post
    From the positive posts on Furrion, maybe my experience is not typical but after less than 2 years from installation, the camera got moisture inside and display in monitor is cloudy. The tech rep said sorry it is out of warranty but could try covering in rice and see if that removes moisture and then try to reseal. If that doesn't work, $158 for replacement camera. Think I will try a different company.

Charlie 2
    Imagine 2600RB
    F-150 Eco
    Welcome. Too bad your out of warranty Furrion leaked. I’d try what the support tech suggested, rice dip for a few days and see if it clears up, then re—seal the unit using something like LEXEL. You might just find you can fix it for the cost of a few minutes of your time and 25 cents worth of rice.

If you try something else, the warranty is likely similar to Furrion and you might have the same issue down the road.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skiddy,

Thanks. True, Might as well go ahead and try the rice trick at this point. Just disappointing to think you are spending the money to buy the 'cadillac' of observation cameras and get these kind of results. After removing camera from holder and scanning with a magnifying glass, looks like the problem is with the lens. Here is a photo of it:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV Camera.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	30057 (Hope this worked, haven't tried to upload a photo before.) It appears the problem is a bad rubber seal around the camera lens installation. If the rice works, do you think the LEXEL would fix this problem?

Charlie 2
    Imagine 2600RB
    F-150 Eco

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Furrion kit and am not happy yet. I bought it for the ease of installation and it was easy.
    First trip it was cutting out. probably settings were wrong but we messed around and got them correct but it would still cut out.
    If I cycled the running lights it would come back on MOST of the time but would still cut out randomly.
    Second trip it would stay on longer most of the time but would still cut out randomly. Driving for almost 6 hours this way I started to think it was a thermal issue, cutting out when it got hot. At least it appeared that way.
    I had been going back and forth with Furrion tech support which I consider pretty good by the way. They finally conceded that I needed a replacement camera and sent one.
    In the mean time, I pulled the camera and set it and the monitor up in my garage on the bench and started mucking around with it. I found that the socket in the power cable to the monitor was oversized and if I lightly wiggled the connection or tapped on the bench the signal would go out yet the camera power light would stay on.
    New camera same situation.
    So I took the new camera to the trailer and the pre-wired connector in the trailer was also loose fitting with the camera plug.
    Hooked the long cable supplied in the kit to power and that connection was tight.
    So I cut off the pre-wired connector wired my long cable (cut off short of course) to the trailer and now the camera seems to stay on, but I will know for sure once I go on another trip next week.
    Furrion sent me another monitor cable, and I'm supposed to send back the cables and camera for their analysis, but I'll wait until I see that the new setup works correctly.

I am frustrated, but I have to give tech support credit for helping out.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following up on my March 2020 Haloview install. It's been many months and several thousand miles. I am still thrilled with the performance of the 5 inch Holoview camera and monitor on our rig. By adjusting the antenna on the camera so it angles down and having the antenna on the monitor straight out to the side, dropouts went away. It simply works. I don't know if its better than the Furrion camera, because I am too cheap to cough up more money than needed. If you have a long rig, you may need a second antenna mounted up front, but Haloview has that accessory, its retail price is $14.00. It comes with a magnetic base, which wouldn't be of much value on my RV, but it looks like it could be epoxied wherever you'd want.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie 2 View Post
    Skiddy,

Thanks. True, Might as well go ahead and try the rice trick at this point. Just disappointing to think you are spending the money to buy the 'cadillac' of observation cameras and get these kind of results. After removing camera from holder and scanning with a magnifying glass, looks like the problem is with the lens. Here is a photo of it:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV Camera.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	30057 (Hope this worked, haven't tried to upload a photo before.) It appears the problem is a bad rubber seal around the camera lens installation. If the rice works, do you think the LEXEL would fix this problem?

Charlie 2
    Imagine 2600RB
    F-150 Eco
    Sorry for delay, yesterday was a day to forget. From what I see in the picture, I’d agree with you. Not much to lose by trying, IMO. After the rice dip, I’d check the picture is clear (moisture gone) before bothering with trying to seal the seal. I have respect for LEXEL, stuff works under water and it stays somewhat flexible, much better than silicon. Dries clear and sticks to just about everything. Small tube, enough to do 100+ cameras, is about $7CDN. I re-attached the eyebrow light strip on the front of my trailer with it and after three years it looks like it was done yesterday, it does not yellow like silicon.
    Good luck.
    Judy & Larry
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=jleonard;324738]I bought a Furrion kit and am not happy yet. I bought it for the ease of installation and it was easy.
    First trip it was cutting out. probably settings were wrong but we messed around and got them correct but it would still cut out.
    If I cycled the running lights it would come back on MOST of the time but would still cut out randomly.
    Second trip it would stay on longer most of the time but would still cut out randomly. Driving for almost 6 hours this way I started to think it was a thermal issue, cutting out when it got hot. At least it appeared that way.
    I had been going back and forth with Furrion tech support which I consider pretty good by the way. They finally conceded that I needed a replacement camera and sent one.
    In the mean time, I pulled the camera and set it and the monitor up in my garage on the bench and started mucking around with it. I found that the socket in the power cable to the monitor was oversized and if I lightly wiggled the connection or tapped on the bench the signal would go out yet the camera power light would stay on.
    New camera same situation.
    So I took the new camera to the trailer and the pre-wired connector in the trailer was also loose fitting with the camera plug.
    Hooked the long cable supplied in the kit to power and that connection was tight.
    So I cut off the pre-wired connector wired my long cable (cut off short of course) to the trailer and now the camera seems to stay on, but I will know for sure once I go on another trip next week.
    Furrion sent me another monitor cable, and I'm supposed to send back the cables and camera for their analysis, but I'll wait until I see that the new setup works correctly.

I am frustrated, but I have to give tech support credit for helping out.[/QUOTE

Amazing that the electronics works, it’s a simple connection that was poorly made. Was the poor fit close enough a conductive adhesive might work? I’ve had a couple times that plug in connectors will not stay together. If the connection is permanent and solder is out of the question a permanent conductive epoxy has done the job. For removable connections Green Loctite seems to work.
    Judy & Larry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast