User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No PDI.... really???!!!!

Ok, GD Family, here's a good one for you. We're planning on picking up our new 260RD 5er next Friday. This is not my first rodeo, in my previous RV purchases I always conducted a thorough PDI. This is the first time dealing with Lazy Days in Seffner, FL. I spoke to my salesman today to explain that I would be conducting a thorough PDI. He said he had NEVER had a customer request a PDI before. He practically blew a gasket when I explained it would include removal of all four brake hubs to inspect for improper greasing. He calmed down somewhat when I asked if it was LazyDays intention that I tow a potentially unsafe RV. He says he'll check if a technician can do the hub removal and take pictures for us. Has anyone at Lazy Days in Seffner FL ever requested your own PDI? Were you denied? Did you request proof of dry brake hubs (no grease on brakes on in appropriate bearings)? The best part was that I reminded him that before we placed the order that we told him we would conduct our own PDI before taking delivery. He recollection seemed "fuzzy", gotta love it! Anyone had other experiences with LazyDays in Seffner FL, please share. Update: Delivery manager called and will go over my PDI list tonight and let me know of any concerns.
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost Supercrew 4x4 with 7.2kW generator
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it a used or new unit? I know you said "new" 260RD in your post, but was that new to you or new off the lot?
    Reason I ask, is seems to me to be unreasonable to request a hub removal on a factory fresh new unit. Can't say I've heard of this request on a factory new unit. On the other hand, it is required and expected on any pre-owned unit IMO.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dealer did the hub removal and grease check for us back in 2017 on a new unit, but that was authorized and paid-for by GD due to their issues with Lippert axles at that time. I've not heard of it being done as part of a new PDI typically. Otherwise it sounds like you intend to be very thorough, which is a very good thing. A thorough PDI by the customer is common regardless of what the dealer says.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    is it a used or new unit? I know you said "new" 260RD in your post, but was that new to you or new off the lot?
    Reason I ask, is seems to me to be unreasonable to request a hub removal on a factory fresh new unit. Can't say I've heard of this request on a factory new unit. On the other hand, it is required and expected on any pre-owned unit IMO.

I am ******-u-ming it is brand new. He said they ordered the unit.

I disagree with you on pulling hubs of a brand new unit. We ordered our Solitude and required the dealer to pull all four wheels and check brakes for no grease. This was right after Grand design had switched from Lippert to Dexter axle and the greased brand new lippert brakes issue were still fresh in everyone's mid. I requested to be there during the inspection. They could not let me watch due to "insurance" reasons, but were fine with taking pictures and sending them to me. They did not find any issues with grease on the brakes, but did adjust the brakes (they were way off) while they were there and greased the suspension (which was dry from the factory). So, I do not think it is an unreasonable request.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    It is a new unit, we ordered it from LazyDays and it was built on 2/13/2020, delivered to them on Monday. If you do a search on here and FB you'll see lots of brand new units that were improperly greased and had grease spraying out of the bearing around the brake hub. We bought a new Tiffin motorhome and even had it done on that rig as there was a record of grease leaking out of the axles. I'm sure everything will be fine but why not insist on a proper inspection to be sure. At the same time I can verify lug nut torque with them.
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be obvious... They did not include the loss of shop labor in their sales price to you. Chain dealers like Lazy maintain uniform profit margins on sales. This is fact. Now you are asking them for free service. I'm not in any way backing them, just explaining the why. I'm sorry, but pulling hubs is not a standard PDI and is atypical. Thorough - yes, but not the norm. This is where customer satisfaction and maintaining loyalty decisions come in, and perhaps you have already presented to the dealer as a buyer who won't return for servicing. Now, the matter of no PDI at all, if I read you right, needs a quick dial to GD because it is a requirement of the dealer's contractual obligations with GD to perform such!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I always thought the greased brake fiasco ended when they switched to Dexter axles in mid-2017. Dexter certainly isn’t perfect. The bearing play on the Dexter torsion axle on my InTech was huge from the factory (both sides).
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    Wow. I always thought the greased brake fiasco ended when they switched to Dexter axles in mid-2017. Dexter certainly isn’t perfect. The bearing play on the Dexter torsion axle on my InTech was huge from the factory (both sides).
    We ordered a factory-built unit last spring. Picked it up in April. I just had the annual safety inspection done, which is a requirement in PA. Guess what? Failed inspection, due to greased magnet and brakes on one wheel. I don’t know if it came from the factory that way, or if it is an issue that came to be during the 3,000 miles that we towed it over the summer, but it’s still an issue.

The dealer was not aware of the prior history of this issue, and didn’t let on as knowing that this should be a warranty-covered item, since the trailer was not yet a year old. The service writer already had a quote written on the expense (to me) for the cost of the repair so that the trailer would pass inspection.

It was covered by warranty, once I mentioned these facts to the service writer.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearii View Post
    Ok, GD Family, here's a good one for you. We're planning on picking up our new 260RD 5er next Friday. This is not my first rodeo, in my previous RV purchases I always conducted a thorough PDI. This is the first time dealing with Lazy Days in Seffner, FL. I spoke to my salesman today to explain that I would be conducting a thorough PDI. He said he had NEVER had a customer request a PDI before. He practically blew a gasket when I explained it would include removal of all four brake hubs to inspect for improper greasing. He calmed down somewhat when I asked if it was LazyDays intention that I tow a potentially unsafe RV. He says he'll check if a technician can do the hub removal and take pictures for us. Has anyone at Lazy Days in Seffner FL ever requested your own PDI? Were you denied? Did you request proof of dry brake hubs (no grease on brakes on in appropriate bearings)? The best part was that I reminded him that before we placed the order that we told him we would conduct our own PDI before taking delivery. He recollection seemed "fuzzy", gotta love it! Anyone had other experiences with LazyDays in Seffner FL, please share. Update: Delivery manager called and will go over my PDI list tonight and let me know of any concerns.
    Hi Dave,

I bought a new 337RLS from LazyDays in Seffner back in Jan 2017.

I did a PDI with their delivery rep. I insisted they remove the brake drums and inspect for leaking grease seals and take pictures for me before I arrived and had the sales rep write it on the sales order.

When I arrived they had not done the brake inspection. I told them I wasn't going to sign any closing paperwork until I was fully satisfied with the PDI and the brakes were inspected. They had no problem with that, so I proceeded to do the PDI with their delivery rep, found several small items which they immediately had a tech repair while I was there. They then towed it to a service bay and removed each brake drum while I watched. 2 of the 4 hubs had leaky seals and contaminated the drums, magnets and pads. They took pictures for warranty credit and replaced all with new parts while I watched.

Only then did I go the the main building and sign the closing paperwork.

The delivery guy gave me his cell phone number and then I spent that night in the trailer doing a shake down night trying out every item. The next morning I found water dripping in the basement and the main door had to be slammed to close. I called the delivery guy on his cell phone and he sent a tech over immediately. The tech found poor calking of the shower door frame causing the dripping water in the basement and he took care of that. He could not get the main entrance door to close without slamming. The delivery guy then came over with the body shop manager. They looked at it and then towed it to the body shop where they had tools they would need. 1 hour later it was returned to the delivery spot and the door had been fixed. I asked if I could stay another night to do another shake down and they said no problem. We spent the second night and all was good so we departed after 2 nights in the camper.

Last edited by Jerryr; 02-20-2020 at 11:32 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    ...I did a PDI with their delivery rep. I insisted they remove the brake drums and inspect for leaking grease seals and take pictures for me before I arrived and had the sales rep write it on the sales order.

When I arrived they had not done the brake inspection. I told them I wasn't going to sign any closing paperwork until I was fully satisfied with the PDI and the brakes were inspected. They had no problem with that, so I proceeded to do the PDI with their delivery rep, found several small items which they immediately had a tech repair while I was there. They then towed it to a service bay and removed each brake drum while I watched. 2 of the 4 hubs had leaky seals and contaminated the drums, magnets and pads. They took pictures for warranty credit and replaced all with new parts while I watched.

Only then did I go the the main building and sign the closing paperwork...
    Hey Jerry!
    Thank you very much for the info. I sent the sales guy your pics to show him it can happen and mentioned that it happened at their shop! We'll see how he responds. I was pleased that he got the delivery manager involved last night. I sent them my PDI list today so hopefully that will clear up the matter and we'll be good to go.
    Thanks again - it's great to be able to use the interwebs to set things straight.
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast