User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full timing if I “have to leave”?

Hello everyone! I’ve been doing a ton of research on 5th wheel toy haulers and planning on jumping in head first and full timing it! However I still have a few important logistical items to solve.

I work from home but do occasionally travel to job sites all across the U.S.

I’m sure there’s gotta be a handful of you that telecommute but still have to travel for work, so what do you do with your truck trailer during that time?

My work trips average only 3 days of being gone in a single stretch so it’s not too long each time.

I also have a dog but I think that would be easier taking her to an overnight dog care/kennel place where she could still have fun.

Let me know all your tips n tricks, thanks everyone!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FA,

First, Welcome, and I think you’re spot on about the dog.
    Second, HOW are you planning to Full Time? Are you sticking to campgrounds? We’ve left our trailer unattended in CG sites for the months of May and September using it only on weekends for the last two years. No incidents to report, but vermin repellent is definitely a must (ants, mice, squirrels, raccoons, etc).
    If you’re boondocking, I’d pack it up and find secure storage. Check your insurance policy for conditions under which you are covered as well (occupied vs. unoccupied).
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstAscent View Post
    Hello everyone! I’ve been doing a ton of research on 5th wheel toy haulers and planning on jumping in head first and full timing it! However I still have a few important logistical items to solve.

I work from home but do occasionally travel to job sites all across the U.S.

I’m sure there’s gotta be a handful of you that telecommute but still have to travel for work, so what do you do with your truck trailer during that time?

My work trips average only 3 days of being gone in a single stretch so it’s not too long each time.

I also have a dog but I think that would be easier taking her to an overnight dog care/kennel place where she could still have fun.

Let me know all your tips n tricks, thanks everyone!
    First figure out what airport to fly out of. Small airports are great, no crowds, easy parking less hassels, but may be more expensive or you will have to connect through a large airport. Find a “nice” RV park and tell the managment that you will be gone for a few days and leave them contact info. Most private parks don’t care or know if you are there. Set your heater or air conditioner, lock the place up and turn off your water and water heater before you leave. If you are concerned about someone stealing your trailer put a hitch lock on it. If it is winter and cold enough to freeze up the trailer then you may want to consider winterizing it. We are full time and have left the trailer many times over the years. The biggest thing is to have confidence in the RV park where you leave the trailer. RV parks go from great to good, to bad and ugly. Stay away from bad and ugly parks by reading online reviews, looking at Google maps and a visit to the park.
    Last edited by J&J___; 02-21-2020 at 08:52 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We often leave our rig in the park where we are staying at the time in order to fly to see the grandkids for up to a week. We usually tell park management we'll be gone. If it's winter, I turn off/disconnect the water outside and set the furnace thermostat to about 50 degrees. In the summer, I leave the ACs set to about 80 to keep heat and humidity down.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good advice. To take what Rob said above about the water even one step further; definitely turn the water off at the spigot, regardless of weather (as Rob said, disconnect and drain the hose in colder weather)
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much everyone!

Obviously everything right now is hypothetical since i haven't yet ordered it but here's how I would like it to be haha

I definitely see myself doing a mix of everything (campground/RV parks to boondocking). The more boondocking the better but that would also depend on the specific area, if there's cell service, and how good my solar setup is (I plan to put a big focus on solar setup). This would all take time and trial and error to see what works so probably more campgrounds etc as I do some dry runs on scenarios. Boondocking full time just isn't possible, for me, so even if I ever had it dialed in I'd still need to replenish (and dump) at full hookup sites.

So I have what I'd LIKE to do, but also realize reality will be slightly different. I'm pretty adaptable though. Give me somewhere to climb or mountain bike and I'm good to go haha.

With that being said, I plan my own travel when I need to visit a job site so I'd typically have at LEAST a couple weeks timeframe but usually more. So I would have time to relocate to a "good" campground etc as all of you have mentioned and sounds like it's no big deal to let the staff know I'll be out for a few days.

I currently live on the West Coast and prefer it over here, but my projects as I mentioned are all across the U.S (California, Texas, Colorado, Chicago, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Florida), what I'm thinking would be really cool would be just to drive to where my next site visit would be and just stay near by. I can definitely see myself doing that some of the time as well and then I don't have to worry about airports etc. But obviously if I need to be in Cali one week and Florida the next I'm not going to drive. So I would just play that by ear and figure it out as they come.

Thanks also on the tips for water/rodents etc.I suspected prepping water (turning off) but didn't think about rodents! make sense though. Is that a common issue that everyone deals with!? or is it a rare occasion but something to be mindful of?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wildlife is always a concern, whether you’re in the trailer or not. Right outside our house, we’ve had both a bird and a chipmunk inside (carry something in with 2 hands and leave the door open for a second and there they are). They definitely get bolder if you’re not around, sometimes chewing their way in. And it’s not just food items they’re after. They’ll chew up soap, paper products, towels and linens. Search here and find many threads on nice-smelling repellents that various folks use to keep them at bay. We travel with and refresh these frequently, not just before storage.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know! Well hopefully my husky will help in that department at least a little, she has a crazy high prey drive.

But I’ll for sure take other measures as well
    2021 Momentum 381M (Ordered 3/6/2020, Delivered 8/27/2020)
    -- Full Body Paint, MORryde IS 7k w/ disc brakes, Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion, 3 AC, Heat Pump, Dual Pane Windows, Slide Toppers, Residential Fridge

Setting Up Camp LivingAdventure's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I follow a few full-timers on YouTube, and some of them prefer boondocking to staying in a campground. Depending on the length of the trip they sometimes put their trailer in an RV storage lot when they're flying/driving elsewhere.

As to the rodent/wildlife concern, it would surprise you at how determined they can be to find a safe place for shelter. Our old trailer had a carpeted pass-through storage compartment, and when we emptied it out we discovered that mice had eaten their way up through the flooring and the carpet to make a nest in there. We found lots of droppings, and a pile of chewed grain that they must have carried in. From there, they explored the rest of the trailer and helped themselves to any crumbs and remnants they could reach. In this case, we believe that it was more the abundance of fabric and other soft materials for making a home that attracted the mice, rather than food.
    So if your trailer were to be left unattended in a cooler season and happened to be located close to a source of food for the rodents, they may attempt to get inside your rig simply to make a home for themselves.

When you return from your trips, do a quick and careful look through the trailer. Check the floors for droppings, and open any cupboard or drawer in lower cabinets to check that there are no traces of current or previous unwanted visitors. It will only take a couple of minutes.

We also have two large dogs, and regularly take them to daycare or overnight boarding at a nearby facility to where we are usually parked. The occasional trip to daycare just for them to play and have fun while we're busy keeps them happy to go be dropped off, rather than dreading a long stay.
    Living a never-ending adventure together!
    2018 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport EcoDiesel
    2019 Imagine 2150RB

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you a glamp-bagger? Not many climbers on this forum.

My first thought was just take the RV and travel, but you covered that. NY to CA is a pretty good haul, we have done it a couple of times, but we did it in 3 months, not 3 days, big difference. But we still in enjoy just the traveling part of our full time RV life, 250-300 miles a day, stop, take a walk, eat dinner, do it again. Books on tape... 10 days = 3000 miles. Really depends on your stamina and inclinations.

IMHO invaders are not a huge problem. We have had them. Many places are loaded with them many places have none. But sitting empty is an invitation. We don't get too excited about it and just deal with it when it occurs.

I have met several people that travel extensively for work at RV parks. They winterize and disconnect everything, like you would if you were storing it. Then power it back up when they come back. Our dog has stayed at some wonderful kennel's, and we have hired pets sitters from rover dot com.

You'll find your way...
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast