User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving warm air into the basement

I haven’t seen this discussed, so maybe there isn’t any discussion to be had. Question is: How do you warm the basement if you are not using the furnace? We’re going out on an extended (6-week) trip, and things look a little colder than expected for the first few days. It will be below freezing for the two days before we leave, both day and night, then temps will be fairly chilly (likely below freezing) for the first six-hour drive, before we have shore power. Then it will be well below freezing over night.

We’ve not put many hours on the furnace, and usually use the electric fireplace to heat, if needed. We had the second a/c installed and, since heat rises, we turn on the living room unit to fan, when we go to bed. This circulates the warm air up into the bedroom and bath. I believe that method only moves the air around the racetrack, upstairs, and nothing goes into the basement area.

My plan is to de-winterize and put some water in the fresh tank, then turn on the furnace for the two days before we leave. I think that should pump enough warm air into the basement to ensure that nothing freezes before we leave.

I’d wait to de-winterize until we hit warmer weather but, since this is the first year we’ve had the trailer, I want to be sure that I didn’t miss anything when I winterized, and that nothing froze and broke. If that has happened, I’ll have a couple of days before we leave to make any repairs. Much easier at home where I have all of my tools (and wits) at my disposal.

My concerns are for the six hours that we drive, there is no heat to the basement and, unless we use the furnace at the campsite, there won’t be any.

With this long of a trip, the storage areas are going to be quite full, so putting an electric heater there probably isn’t practical. Is there any way to circulate warm air downstairs to the basement, outside of using the furnace?
    Last edited by Richter; 02-21-2020 at 06:31 PM.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take a swag at this.

With electric hook ups at the house I will likely use a electric heater in the under belly if temps in the mid to low 20's if I need to preheat the belly. We are only talking about an 8" x 8" heater

I have not had had any issues with plumbing freezing while towing when we were in the mid 20's. I have not towed in lower temps.

There are several members on the board who have experience with "cold weather" winter camping who may provide additional information to assist. I can state that I have towed several hours in low 20's and had no freezing issues in the plumbing.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A ceramic heater in the basement is fine... but there is a furnace duct leaving the basement going back to the kitchen island area to protect those water lines. A portable heater in the basement won't reach those water lines - and they are much more poorly insulated and protected than the stuff in the main basement. We've had travel days where the temps don't get above freezing until mid- to late-morning. We don't run any heat but make sure the water pump is off and the lines depressurized. We haven't had any issues. We always use the main furnace at night when the temps are forecast to be 28 F or below.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I can't comment on running down the road with sub freeze temps however I can contribute to being in my 310GK-R in temps down to 15 F.
    On extreme cold days during the day, I run the electric fireplace and accessory space heater in Liv/Kitchen area. I also put a small space heater in the basement being sure
    it has a safe zone. I run it off the RV 110 plug in the basement. You do have to manage "voltage/watt/amp pull" during this time. The Res. fridge will do fine, water heater, etc.
    If you want to turn on the microwave/convection oven, run a separate small heater in the bathroom, etc., you must turn off the extra space heater in the Liv/Kit. area.
    I also at same time (if available) run a separate small heater in the battery and electrical area using a SEPARATE 110 outlet shore power. I've insulated the front battery/electrical area so not a lot of heat is needed. I also will run the propane furnace off and on a little during the day (on very extreme cold days).

At night I leave the fireplace on about 68 and turn on the propane furnace on about 70. I plug a small heater up in the bedroom next to the washer/dryer and leave the washer dryer door open since the most extreme temps are at night. I also turn on the black and gray water heater blankets (fresh if needed). I have these on during the day also if extreme cold. I'm very happy with the 310GK and weather package. You do have to learn how to balance your heat sources. This is just what I do, your system is just as good as mine.
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK - FB Paint, 300W Solar, Onan 5500 Gen, DP Windows, Samsung R-Frig, Splendide Stacked W/D.
    Tow Vehicle: 2020 3500 Silverado, DRW, HC Pkg., D-Max 6.6L Diesel, 10 Spd. Allison Trans.
    Hitch: Andersen 3220 Ult 2 With Safety Chain Package.
    Satellite: Winegard Pathway X2/Wally Rec. RV Tow Camera Rear: Furrion Sharkfin 7" Monitor.
    Autoformer/Surge Protect: Hughes 50 AMP