Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told at the RV show by a Grand Design rep that once the trailer is hitched the pin weight now belongs to the truck and the trucks cargo carrying capacity, not the trailer. This makes some sense because you reasonably can’t count the pin weight on the trailer AND truck once hitched. No clue whether he was yanking my chain or not but if he is correct then you would have that much more capacity in the trailer. My husband and I did a lot of editing, but we are not packrats to begin with...even so, we are mindful about overloading either. Our cupboards are definitely not full. I keep thinking why would GD give us all of this storage if we can’t put much in the trailer because of the CCC? It really bothered me at first. Now? Not quite as much.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovetocamp View Post
    I was told at the RV show by a Grand Design rep that once the trailer is hitched the pin weight now belongs to the truck and the trucks cargo carrying capacity, not the trailer. This makes some sense because you reasonably can’t count the pin weight on the trailer AND truck once hitched. No clue whether he was yanking my chain or not but if he is correct then you would have that much more capacity in the trailer. My husband and I did a lot of editing, but we are not packrats to begin with...even so, we are mindful about overloading either. Our cupboards are definitely not full. I keep thinking why would GD give us all of this storage if we can’t put much in the trailer because of the CCC? It really bothered me at first. Now? Not quite as much.
    Now you really opened a can of worms! Don't worry, I'm an overthinker too.

The logic of the GD rep makes sense because there is no way to weigh the trailer on highway scales unless you unhook and reweigh the truck.

Except... The GVWR on the trailer is almost always (in the RV world) higher than the axle ratings. So how can both be true?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. Time for a rant...

The dealers are often uneducated or misinformed. Now it appears that a manufacturer sales rep is also uneducated or misinformed... Who should we ask and hope to get the truth?

Here is an example. I was looking at 5th wheel hitches and noticed that the pin weight ratings we're all 25% of the trailer weight ratings. So I called both GD and Lippert asking about max engineered pin weights. The answer was a big ?????

This is not rocket science. The loads are calculated and a design is made. Why do we have to put up with misinformation and even worse, conflicting information from the very people that designed the thing?

Rant over... Where's the Tylenol?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an FYI, we have a 2019 295RL and love the floor plan. We have done many upgrades. The wife wants a bigger one with room for a clothes washer. (337 most likely) Ours will be going up for sale!
    SW Michigan.
    Dan and Deb
    2021 337RLS
    2020 Lariat Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab Max Tow, Air Lift 5000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12