Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fiver experts, help an over (under?) thinker out

I'm seriously considering the 295RL but the weight it can carry concerns me. The one I looked at the other day could only carry 1203 pounds according to the sticker on the side of the trailer. Fresh water alone will cover a third of that weight. Adding whatever is in the grey and black tanks along with batteries and propane leaves roughly <600 lbs for supplies which seems way too low to me. But then I started thinking that the pin weight is about 1400 lbs and that weight gets put on the truck side of the equation, so does that free up an extra 1400 lbs to carry on the trailer while it's hitched up? And if so, do the jacks on the ground when unhitched then carry the "extra" weight?

Or is all that figured into the weight carrying capabilities already?

The trailer has two GAWR 5100 lbs axles and a GVW of 10,195 lbs and a UVW of 8932.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by It's about time View Post
    I'm seriously considering the 295RL but the weight it can carry concerns me. The one I looked at the other day could only carry 1203 pounds according to the sticker on the side of the trailer. Fresh water alone will cover a third of that weight. Adding whatever is in the grey and black tanks along with batteries and propane leaves roughly <600 lbs for supplies which seems way too low to me. But then I started thinking that the pin weight is about 1400 lbs and that weight gets put on the truck side of the equation, so does that free up an extra 1400 lbs to carry on the trailer while it's hitched up? And if so, do the jacks on the ground when unhitched then carry the "extra" weight?

Or is all that figured into the weight carrying capabilities already?

The trailer has two GAWR 5100 lbs axles and a GVW of 10,195 lbs and a UVW of 8932.

1263 #
    There is the cargo capacity, which won't allow you to load up as you are describing but not undoable. Unless boondocking all the time there is no reason to travel with full water tanks.
    Your pin weight doesn't enter into it. Also that pin weight is only for manufacturer's advertising purposes and not a real world number. 10195 * .20 = 2039# would be a better estimate of actual pin weight.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 02-22-2020 at 05:19 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not overthinking at all. Everything you said is accurate and unfortunately, pin weight is part of trailer weight so you are stuck with the 1200 ish pounds. Also consider that the UVW listed may not be accurate. Mine was almost ten percent higher when I put it on the scale.

As @Wicked ace said, you may not need to carry the water and also consider the truck bed for carrying as much of the heavy gear as you can.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember - you won't have your fresh water and waste tanks full at the same time. You'll leave with a full fresh tank and empty waste tanks. As you camp, you'll pump the water from the fresh tank into the waste tanks. The amount of water on board remains the same.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to carry all the water even when boondocking. We have always left with enough to get a through a day or 2 then find a place to fill 4 or 5 - 7 gal jugs when going back in the woods. Either by begging at a gas station or a if there is a ranger station or state park near by. Of course this only works if you plan on going out and about, if you are staying in camp the whole time it can be brought in the bed of the truck then transfered easily if you have the payload. We've done this with all our trailers including the 303.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    No need to carry all the water even when boondocking. We have always left with enough to get a through a day or 2 then find a place to fill 4 or 5 - 7 gal jugs when going back in the woods. Either by begging at a gas station or a if there is a ranger station or state park near by. Of course this only works if you plan on going out and about, if you are staying in camp the whole time it can be brought in the bed of the truck then transfered easily if you have the payload. We've done this with all our trailers including the 303.
    Once again, I thought I was the first to come up with something... I made a 70 gal tank that fits in front of the hitch; has a pump on it and plugs into the trailer plug. I connect it as a city water connection and it takes care of itself.

I know I wasn't the first... Just messin.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the replies and ideas. So much for my creative math with the pin weight. The trailer I looked at must have been 60 pounds heavier than they advertised based on the sticker so it makes sense the other weights like the pin weight will be off too but I'm surprised to hear it could be in the 500 lb range though. Sure glad I went with a 3/4 ton and not a 1/2 ton so payload increases wont be a problem. I can see keeping 15-20 gallons of fresh water in the tank while traveling so that frees up 250-300 lbs. 900 lbs give or take of cargo capacity is a lot better than 600. I'd like a lot more but I think it might be doable. Thanks!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    COLOR="#0000FF"]Hopefully somebody may come along with actual numbers. In the middle of the thoughts of "why not?" is why not spend the $14 or $20 for an actual weight of each trailer? Then they can put the actual empty weight on them, those, "i only weigh" stickers I've been looking at all weekend.[/COLOR]
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by It's about time View Post
    Thank you all for the replies and ideas. So much for my creative math with the pin weight. The trailer I looked at must have been 60 pounds heavier than they advertised based on the sticker so it makes sense the other weights like the pin weight will be off too but I'm surprised to hear it could be in the 500 lb range though. Sure glad I went with a 3/4 ton and not a 1/2 ton so payload increases wont be a problem. I can see keeping 15-20 gallons of fresh water in the tank while traveling so that frees up 250-300 lbs. 900 lbs give or take of cargo capacity is a lot better than 600. I'd like a lot more but I think it might be doable. Thanks!
    A top tip... When you are looking at RV trailers ask for the weight sheet or weight sticker. With Grand Design a sheet with all the data as it left the factory is in with the manuals ( KZ puts a sticker on one of the storage doors ). Remember these are DRY WEIGHTS taken before you fill or load up anything. Because of this pin weights both in the brochure and on the sheet are just imaginary numbers so to speak. Not to say they aren't true but something you will only see when you drive away unloaded the first time. I have found with the 1/2 ton towable class of 5W 18% of trailer GVWR is a good place to start. Bigger, higher class trailers go up accordingly. How and how much you load your trailer is a factor too. Weighing on a scale is the best way to get accurate information but you can get close with careful analysis. Use this link, fill it out to find your truck. When you get to the one that best suites your tow vehicle click on the link and it will take you to a work sheet that will help determine if you are in spec of the trucks capabilities. It is better to know than to be swayed by advertising or salesman claims.
    https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/towing-help-fifth
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 02-23-2020 at 03:11 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the fresh water tank on my Reflection sits above and slightly behind the rear axle.... The pin weight will not change whether it's full or not! The grey & black tanks are forward of the axles.... always try to travel with them empty....
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast