User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just replaced the struts this weekend. The 12" memory foam completely overwhelmed the factory struts. We picked up a set of 120# struts and installed them Saturday, I can now lift bed with one hand and it stays up.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also went with the heavier struts. They did not keep my bed up until I moved the bottom bracket towards the foot of the bed. Works now but does not lift platform as high. Will probably keep this current configuration but move it 2 inches towards the head. Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by Jims94vmx; 02-25-2020 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Mispelled
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just checked, no way the struts the factory installed keep up the mattress... So I have another little project....
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same bed lift issue and I replaced the struts with stronger ones from Amazon. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

These struts were the same size (strike length, open length and were compatible with a 10 mm ball mount) as the original only they were stronger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I tried this moved it forward towards foot of bed about 6” our new mattress was heavy now works perfect and stays up! Thanks for the info.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I had the same bed lift issue and I replaced the struts with stronger ones from Amazon. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

These struts were the same size (strike length, open length and were compatible with a 10 mm ball mount) as the original only they were stronger.
    Did you need to order any additional mounting hardware?
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi... no used all the same hardware.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used all of the existing hardware as well. That said, I did replace the Wafer board under the mattress (the section that lifts) with plywood so it better fit the the mattress. I also added a 1x3 pine to edges so it didn't jab so much when you bumped into it. The original was a tad too short so we had trouble keeping the blankets tucked in. It was also very rough and it snagged on the mattress when I lifted it and it.

If you look at your existing strut there are part numbers on it. With these you can look up its specs and be able to buy a new one that fits, but has more lifting power. I hope this helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190618_105953338.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	25047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190618_110059282.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	25048

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went out the the trailer to move the mounting brackets to support the new mattress and found that the brackets holding the platform used machine screw inserts in the platform. Too much of a hassle to re-drill the platform since the foam mattress was already on it. Went onto Amazon and ordered up some 20" 120 lb. Hatchlift gas cylinders. They came the next day and I had them installed within 10 minutes. Cost about $40 with shipping. Longest part was figuring out how to release the retaining clips. Well worth the cost and works like a charm. Thanks to all for the suggestions on this.
    Allyn & Sue
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2016 F350 Lariat PS 6.7
    Andersen Ultimate Connection 2

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can just order heavier pistons. You don't even need to change the hardware. Look at the numbers and maker on the pistons, go on line and just order the same exact size with a slightly higher weight capacity.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast