Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westlake Tread Separation

Well Westlake got me. 6 month old trailer, approximately 2500 miles of use, keep it under an RV carport with tire covers, had the tires off before the trip and visually inspected them all, 80 lbs air pressure cold, checked tire temp with a laser each stop (tread temp was never over 117 F), and the tread on one separated. Tire still has air but no tread. Initial estimate to fix trailer damage, $3K. ...It’s all good though because Westlake has my back with a “no excuse” guarantee, so a “free” replacement tire awaits. It is 100% ridiculous to have a tire failure on a new trailer when you properly care for and use the tires,...frustrated is an understatement. Shame on me for not dropping $800 on 5 new tires at the time of delivery, but that should not be a requirement.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog1 View Post
    Well Westlake got me. 6 month old trailer, approximately 2500 miles of use, keep it under an RV carport with tire covers, had the tires off before the trip and visually inspected them all, 80 lbs air pressure cold, checked tire temp with a laser each stop (tread temp was never over 117 F), and the tread on one separated. Tire still has air but no tread. Initial estimate to fix trailer damage, $3K. ...It’s all good though because Westlake has my back with a “no excuse” guarantee, so a “free” replacement tire awaits. It is 100% ridiculous to have a tire failure on a new trailer when you properly care for and use the tires,...frustrated is an understatement. Shame on me for not dropping $800 on 5 new tires at the time of delivery, but that should not be a requirement.
    Sorry for your troubles. I agree that we should NOT need to replace tires, nor several other "cheap/least-expensive" items (i.e. plastic spring bushings). Good luck with your insurance claim as well as your new tires. Maxxis and the new Goodyear seem to be the most recommended.
    2019 GD Imagine 2600RB
    Maxxis M8008 ST Radial 225/75R-15 E 10-ply tires
    MoRryde CRE2-35 CRE3000 w/ wet bolt kit & X-Factor cross-member
    Furrion Observation camera with 5-inch monitor
    Equalizer WDH 1,000/10,000

2018 Toyota Tundra SR5 Extended Cab
    Michelin Defender LTX E-rated tires
    RoadMaster Active Suspension (in lieu of TRD sway bar and airbags)
    BakFLip MX4 hard-folding tonneau cover
    Putco Blade LED Tailgate Light Bar
    Westin stainless R7 running boards

Southern Arizona - We're close to Tombstone and can see Mexico (Mt. San Jose) from our backyard.
    US Army, Retired

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is funny that trailer tires fail so often compared to truck tires.......
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. That kind of damage would make me sick. Hope the repairs make your RV "like new".

I'm assuming you have the "E" rated Westlake tires. I replaced mine when I took delivery of my 2016 Reflection. Too many reports of failures although many here have thousands of trouble free miles. The "G" rated Westlake tires actually have an excellent record - so far.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Insurance is covering it under comprehensive and may engage direct about the defective tire. I have a 285BHTS with E rated Westlakes. I believe I am going with Goodyear Endurance, considered the Hercules H901 but in a 15 inch rim the load improvement is less than 100 lbs on a tandem axle for the expense (and the Endurance is N speed rated).

Best part of the deal (roll eyes) was the family using a step ladder to get in and out of the trailer while camping at Disney. Bent stairs were unstable. Good news, upgrading to Glowsteps as part of the repair.
    Last edited by lawdog1; 02-22-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we picked up our second GD fifth wheel the company rep happened to be at the dealership. I mentioned tires and how I replaced the ones on our Reflection as soon as we got it home. He started in on the tire warranty so I asked if GD would pay for damage caused by a tire failure while under warranty , and he responded that they would indeed. One of the reasons I’m still running my G-rated Westlakes after a year and a half. Thankfully I haven’t had need to prove his claim , but it wouldn’t hurt to check.
    Good luck , Charlie
    Last edited by cfowler55; 02-22-2020 at 05:35 PM.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called GD, they passed me to Lionshead lightning quick. I may circle back, we will see how plays out...insurance has the lead for now.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lionshead gave me $105.00 for one tire, since that was all that went. I replaced all mine before we came back from our trip, as this happened on the way to Disney.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insurance is covering it under comprehensive and may engage direct about the defective tire. I have a 285BHTS with E rated Westlakes. I believe I am going with Goodyear Endurance, considered the Hercules H901 but in a 15 inch rim the load improvement is less than 100 lbs on a tandem axle for the expense (and the Endurance is N speed rated).

Best part of the deal (roll eyes) was the family using a step ladder to get in and out of the trailer while camping at Disney. Bent stairs were unstable. Good news, upgrading to Glowsteps as part of the repair.
    We, also, had a bad tire when the rig was only 2 months old. Went to pick it up from storage, and it was flat. We filled it up, and took it (slowly) to the dealer. No questions asked, they just replaced the tire. Then at about 6 months, we were starting to pack up in a campground to head home, and when my husband checked the tire monitors, one of them showed 20 pounds of pressure. In checking the tire, there was a big bubble on the inside of it. We took it off and went into town and bought a Goodyear Endurance. We had already done some researching on new tires. Once back home we bought 3 more Endurances and junked the remaining Westlakes.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased my 2019 Reflection trailer in may last year. I struck the deal with the salesman and then told them I would not pull the trailer off the lot with the Westlake tires on it. They replaced them with Goodyears and I paid for the mounting.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast