User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your troubles making your truck a comfortable tow for your TT. That seems like a lot of trailer for a half ton truck. The light duty trucks just aren’t what they used to be - marketed with creature comforts with lots of folks using them to commute to the office, etc. in a suit. Not much you can do with a half ton truck - obviously this is my opinion and many will disagree. I would not be comfortable traveling across the country from NC out west towing a 2670MK with a half ton truck.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The so called "Truck suck" is directly tied to the rear tires. Need stiffer sidewalls, or 2 tires on each side...
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVRunners View Post
    Sorry to hear of your troubles making your truck a comfortable tow for your TT. That seems like a lot of trailer for a half ton truck. The light duty trucks just aren’t what they used to be - marketed with creature comforts with lots of folks using them to commute to the office, etc. in a suit. Not much you can do with a half ton truck - obviously this is my opinion and many will disagree. I would not be comfortable traveling across the country from NC out west towing a 2670MK with a half ton truck.
    Agree^^^^^^^
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little late to this party and have no experience with that GD TT, but I chased squirms for 2 years with my Expedition EL and a 25' 6,000lb TT.

One cheap piece worth trying is a hitch clamp (in my case Amazon item B0001CMUV4) to see if getting your Blue Ox more directly connected to the truck helps at all.

What did make a world of difference for me was going from P-series tires to LT tires. I ran that combo for another 2+ years and roughly 10,000 miles. I'd be surprised if your HDPP did not include sturdy LT's, but worth noting that plus appropriate tire pressure made a questionable situation livable. But after living with that, there's no way I'd use less than a 3/4 ton truck for a 8,000lb TT.

Last August we upgraded to a fiver. In the past my wife would drive some legs out of a sense of duty. Now she isn't phased by much of anything while we're going down the road, and I don't always get to drive my 50% of the trip.

Good luck!

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a dually.

I've done a lot of towing in my day. Had a 150, then a 2019 250 and now a 2019 450. The jump between them all is huge. The 150 to 250 jump is very significant, but, honestly, unless you live in state that punishes you for it, you should go right to the 350, the 250 only exists to beat regulations/taxes and, in the future, if you look at a bigger trailer, you could be in the situation I was in with my 250, a truck that can mechanically tow it (because it's the same as a 350) but isn't rated to tow it because of the de-rating for taxing/registration purposes. The real steps, IMHO, are between 150 and 250 (with the 250 being much stiffer; it's a "truck" where the 150 is a really comfortable and capable vehicle, but it doesn't feel like a truck) and then from 250 to anything with dual rear wheels. Both jumps get you very significant increases in capacity which, in turn, lead to increased comfort and ease when towing.

If I'd known then what I know now, I really would have just bought a 450 years back when I bought the 150. It's not THAT much rougher, it's wildly more capable and I don't spend much time in places where the extra size/tires are bothersome. And now, I can tow pretty much anything that rolls that's not designed to be hooked to a semi. But there's just not that much downside going "bigger", even into DRW, and the downside, well.. Allow me to be a case study in that, spending 10's of thousands of dollars trading in/out to trucks to finally wind up with something that feels "good" when towing anything I've got.

People here say, and I've come to believe, if you're towing a lot, just go DRW. Not because you need it today, because you will very likely need it at some point in the future and then, when you do, you'll have it. Same reason I buy professional chainsaws, and high end tools for those I'll use often. More is always better.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the other hand:

I towed our 2017 2600RB with a 2015 F-150 5.0L and had no problems with it, at all.

Of course, I had a Hensley Arrow, but even with it performance was improved with LT tires and a Timbren Suspension Enhancement System (SES).

No wiggle, period.

Naturally, once I got the rig dialed in, Dearly Beloved wanted a larger trailer.

The 2950RL was stable, towed by the F-150, and within all specs (barely), but it had less acceleration than my 1965 Karmann Ghia with the 40hp, 1200cc motor.

Rather than fool around wasting even more money, we found a 2017 F-350 Diesel and have never looked back - except to make sure the trailer was still there.

Truck tires and Timbrens will do a LOT to make your life easier!
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!!! There have been some interesting opinions and good advice shared here. If money were no problem we could upgrade the TV to something larger. Life is in a state of flux. We just sold our house with no real direction for the next step/stop. Perhaps we can just travel for the next year or so. The P3 hitch I ordered will show up tomorrow. I'm excited to see what it can do to resolve the less than ideal towing situation for us. Maybe we are headed to a full time RV situation. It's really early to commit to that though. One thing I can state for sure is that the F 150 is a large vehicle. The thought of a F250 or F350 is going to put us in beast mode. Those trucks are huge!!! I'm excited to see where this all shakes out. Retired no house, no commitments, and of course no money. The next few months will be very interesting.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2670MK and tow with a Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4. I had some issues also but a little investigating revealed my equalizer shank wasn’t long enough (trailer was nose up 2” while towing). New shank, no more issues.
    Jay VT

2019 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Cummins
    2020 Imagine 2670MK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2670MK and am towing with a 2017 Tundra with an Equalizer WDH hitch adjusted with 7 washers. Just returned from 1500+ mile trip through the Appalachian's and it towed well. I do air the Tundra tires to 42psi and keep the speed at 60-65mph. I recently installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension and have it adjusted to 40%. On the Tundra, that helped firm up the rear end and eliminated what little sway there was. I will go with E rated tires when I need to replace the OEM's. The other suggestion I have is to make sure you do not load up the truck. My tongue weight is in the range of 920 lbs using the bathroom scale/plank method and 680 lbs measured by CAT scale with the WDH in place.

I think the Roadmaster Active Suspension helped on the Tundra. It's not too pricey, easy to install, doesn't require adjustment after initial set-up and has limited impact on the quality of your ride when unloaded. Maybe you should check into what other F150 owners have to say about it.
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on the F150 TV and the 2670MK TT. Yesterday I removed the Blue Ox Swaypro BXM1000 system and installed the Pro Pride P3. The install took some effort. The hitch assembly is no joke and the weight of it proves it. Had to modify the location the propane tanks and the trailer emergency brake as well as extend the chains, 7 pin connection and emergency cable. The system may need some slight tweeking but it really works!!! Did a test tow from Shelby to Charlotte on I-85. Lots of trucks and lots of traffic. No issues wiggles or wandering. Towed the 2670MK with traffic,... meaning the speeds got up to 80 mph. Seriously do not want to travel that fast towing anything, but for a short burst on a test run it did fine. Hitching and unhitching seemed to work without any problems. I give the Pro Pride 2 thumbs up and NO WHITE KNUCKLES.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast