Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to the Grand Design family.

After months of research (a lot on this forum) we set our sites on a Reflection 315RLTS. A GD fifth-wheel was our original direction and we had purchased a 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie turbo diesel, bed ready for a fifth wheel. But then I learned about "payload", which I never thought about since I saw 2500s pulling huge fifth wheels all over the place... With the diesel, 4 wheel drive, short bed, power running boards I was able to tow 18,920 but limited to a max 1920 payload weight. But a deal came our way

So after looking at local dealers and searching online, we found a 2019 Reflection 315RLTS that had been purchased 4/2019 and used twice. Owner had added dual pane windows, Auto Search Travler Dish / Bell antenna, awnings over the 3 slideouts, rain guards on all vents, upgrade fridge, and king size bed. Wow, we could not believe we found this trailer in this condition and we are excited to get this on the road.

This forum has answered so many of my questions. I''ll continue to review the posts appreciate the wealth of knowledge this group possesses.

Now to figure out how to add my info to the signature line

gyoung360
    Washougal WA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny thing about the way they compute towing with trucks these days.
    Now any manufacture pick one. I got a Ford. Now my truck is capable according to Ford of towing 16,000 pounds yet my payload (yellow sticker) gives me 2,300 pounds payload. The numbers just don't add up. A 15,900 trailer has a pin weight of 3,200 @ 20% + or -
    Now with my truck I can't tow to max towing capacity. According to the yellow sticker. No one can explain that one.
    Now the yellow sticker ONLY pertains to the truck by itself. The max load a truck can carry (my truck again ) 10,000 pounds. It has to do with the truck being able to stop by itself. Now you can add a trailer and of course it has brakes capable of stopping the trailer by itself. Combined they (truck & trailer) both are capable of stopping safely. The other sticker is white. That one is the safety sticker. It tells you the actual weight the axle can carry. Check the load rating on the tires. Add the numbers up and that is the total load the tire is capable of carrying at max tire pressure.
    When towing you use the white sticker to determine the load on the truck.
    When you just put a load of dirt in the truck you need to go by the yellow sticker.
    I found all this information in my truck manual. All these guys talking about the yellow sticker don't know what they are talking about.
    The only other number to be concerned about is the gross combined vehicle weight rating. That is the weight of the trailer and truck together.
    Simple way to calculate truck weight is take the payload number in my case 2,300 pounds and subtract from the 10,000 pounds rating and my truck weighs 8,700 pounds.
    I have a combined towing weight of 23,500 - 8,700 and that leaves max trailer weight of 14,700 pounds.
    I hope this helps enplane some of the mystery.
    I hear all this yellow sticker crap and the numbers don't add up.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply.. that's the problem with the internet - some many different views and opinions. Thought I would error on the side of being safe and conservative especially when a few comments mentioned the liability you would have if an accident was to occur.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the site and enjoy both the forum and the new rig. As you know, there is plenty of info on here. All of it is helpful in one way or another.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
    Now my truck is capable according to Ford of towing 16,000 pounds yet my payload (yellow sticker) gives me 2,300 pounds payload. The numbers just don't add up. A 15,900 trailer has a pin weight of 3,200 @ 20% + or -. Now with my truck I can't tow to max towing capacity. According to the yellow sticker. No one can explain that one.
    The numbers add up for trailer (bumper pull) towing but not for 5th wheel towing. The tongue weight for a 16,000lb bumper pull trailer would be around 10-12%. That would put your payload at 1,600-1,920lbs which is within your 2,300 payload rating. If folks want to stay within the payload rating of their truck for 5th wheel towing, they either need to get a light 5th wheel or an F-350. Having said all of this, many people just buy an F-250, tow whatever they want and ignore all the ratings.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    The numbers add up for trailer (bumper pull) towing but not for 5th wheel towing. The tongue weight for a 16,000lb bumper pull trailer would be around 10-12%. That would put your payload at 1,600-1,920lbs which is within your 2,300 payload rating. If folks want to stay within the payload rating of their truck for 5th wheel towing, they either need to get a light 5th wheel or an F-350. Having said all of this, many people just buy an F-250, tow whatever they want and ignore all the ratings.
    Do they make a bumper style hitch that can pull 16,000 pounds? Another thing wonder how that would work? Thats a lot of tail for a dog. LOL
    I did however get my numbers from the 5th wheel towing guide. I also know the guide is for a XL truck which is also misleading for some folks. I think adding that yellow sticker confused a lot of people. They need to read the towing section in the manual that came with the truck. It explains what both white and yellow stickers are fore.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gyoung360 View Post
    After months of research (a lot on this forum) we set our sites on a Reflection 315RLTS. A GD fifth-wheel was our original direction and we had purchased a 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie turbo diesel, bed ready for a fifth wheel. But then I learned about "payload", which I never thought about since I saw 2500s pulling huge fifth wheels all over the place... With the diesel, 4 wheel drive, short bed, power running boards I was able to tow 18,920 but limited to a max 1920 payload weight. But a deal came our way

So after looking at local dealers and searching online, we found a 2019 Reflection 315RLTS that had been purchased 4/2019 and used twice. Owner had added dual pane windows, Auto Search Travler Dish / Bell antenna, awnings over the 3 slideouts, rain guards on all vents, upgrade fridge, and king size bed. Wow, we could not believe we found this trailer in this condition and we are excited to get this on the road.

This forum has answered so many of my questions. I''ll continue to review the posts appreciate the wealth of knowledge this group possesses.

Now to figure out how to add my info to the signature line

gyoung360
    Washougal WA
    To update your signature line just press “Settings” in the upper left hand corner of this site the select “Edit Signature”. Shout out to me or any of the moderators is you need help.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods