User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is constant whine coming from the gas regulator common? 2020 367MBH

We began hearing a whine of sorts whenever a LP gas appliance was operating. I couldn't figure out which compartment it was coming from at first, but narrowed it down to the LP tank storage are. It is definitely coming from the pressure regulator. I have had campers for many years and never heard this before. I am going to replace the regulator, but am curious if this is a common issue.
    MichiganMarty
    2002 GMC 2500HD DuraMax
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    Upgraded 2014 337RLS to a 2019 311BHS, Then Upgraded 2019 311BHS to 2020 367BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMarty View Post
    We began hearing a whine of sorts whenever a LP gas appliance was operating. I couldn't figure out which compartment it was coming from at first, but narrowed it down to the LP tank storage are. It is definitely coming from the pressure regulator. I have had campers for many years and never heard this before. I am going to replace the regulator, but am curious if this is a common issue.
    Our Solitude does and our old Cameo did this occasionally as well. Still not sure why.
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just close the valve on both bottles. Light the stove to reduce the pressure in the gas line. turn off the stove then slowly open the valve on the bottle and that should stop the noise. You should open the valves slowly that way you don't have all that pressure hit the regulator all at once. The regulator will vibrate and that is the noise you hear.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a issue similar to this. It ended up being the bottle on the street side was touching the front hydraulic jack just slightly and the vibration was creating a whine while a gas appliance was running
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so today, I removed the LP tank on the passenger side. That is the tank that had the regulator singing.

I removed the regulator, cleaned the surface behind it, and applied a 1/2" thick piece of neoprene foam pad.

This is an effort to isolate the regulator and prevent it from resonating the sound into the steel panel inside the tank compartment. The regulator was making direct contact with the sheet metal panel and we could hear it outside, inside, *everywhere*!

Anyway, we ran out of gas on the tank on that side a few days ago, so we switched over to the driver side and no more issues.

Today I refilled the tank and performed the mod as per above, and need to switch over to the fresh tank and see if the sound disappeared.

I promise to provide an update.
    MichiganMarty
    2002 GMC 2500HD DuraMax
    2014 Reflection 337RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my fix worked! No more whine! The neoprene foam pad worked flawlessly. Thanks to all for your help.
    MichiganMarty
    2002 GMC 2500HD DuraMax
    2014 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMarty View Post
    Well my fix worked! No more whine! The neoprene foam pad worked flawlessly. Thanks to all for your help.
    We often hear the whine from our passenger-side tank too. It is not related to opening the tank too quickly. I'll try your fix, thx.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch