User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    nguyenbio

How to fill fresh water tank for dry camping!

First of all….

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all

We are headed on our first camping trip this weekend where only electricity will be provided. Had to talk the wife into this one!. I bought a 42 gallon Barker for these occasions.
    I have a quick question regarding the filling of the fresh H20 tank. How do I know when the fresh H20 tank is full? Once it is full, do I leave the water pump switch on the entire time I am camping? Any help and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

aktravler
    Hi Joe and Samantha,
    You will know when your fresh water tank is full by watching the overflow that will come out of the top of the tank and down a tube to the underside of the trailer! Yes you will leave the water pump switch on all the time while you are camping. The pump is a "demand type" that will only run when a faucet is opened. Do not leave the switch on while driving, there is the possibility of a line coming loose and the pump sending all the water out of the tank and on to the floor! If you are camping and the pump runs on occasion without having opened a faucet there is a good chance there is a leak on the system!
    Hope you have a wonderful trip this weekend!
    Aktravler

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "How do I know when the fresh H2O tank is full?" - There is an overflow hose near the axle. When water starts to come out of it, it's completely full. Another way is to watch the panel and shut off the water when it shows full. However, it may not be completely full when you do this.

There is no need to leave the switch on the entire time, but it won't hurt anything either.

Jim

nguyenbio
    Thanks for the quick replies guys!!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyenbio View Post
    First of all….

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all

We are headed on our first camping trip this weekend where only electricity will be provided. Had to talk the wife into this one!. I bought a 42 gallon Barker for these occasions.
    I have a quick question regarding the filling of the fresh H20 tank. How do I know when the fresh H20 tank is full? Once it is full, do I leave the water pump switch on the entire time I am camping? Any help and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Merry Christmas to you too.

I see you got your answers but first, where are you going? We have a County mountain campground down here that is electric only as well. I can't imaging you will ever go through a completely full fresh water tank nor will you fill your gray or black tanks on 2, 3, 4 or even 5 days not matter how much you use! I've carried our big gray portable waste tank on endless trips over the last 5 years and have never, ever used it even boondocking for 5 or 6 days!

I'm envious that you get to go out camping! We were supposed to go beach camping over New Years but had to cancel but we have 4 days reserved at San Clemente for mid-January.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

nguyenbio
    Poppy,
    We got back from Jalama on Monday afternoon. Believe it or not, I dumped our grey water each morning. Between the five of us, we go through quite a bit of water. I love the Barker tote btw! It's so easy to use and tow! I highly recommend Jalama. Here are pics from our site and out our rear window.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	1178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	1177

We also love San Clemente. We get out there once or twice a year. My sis lives on the beach there and we spend a few days there hanging out. Have you tried Chula Vista Rv Park? That's our favorite by far. My kids love it!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Five of you? Crazy. I see what you mean.

Looks fabulous. We spent a week at Refugio in September and also some time in San Simeon and even Avila Beach. We were headed to Jalama but the wind was bad.

Haven't tried the Chula Vista Resort. I'll check it out. We have reservations at the KOA in Chula Vista for Valentine weekend though.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joe,

I don't know how to link another thread, but look in the tech corner for "holding tank size".
    The Reflection (and maybe others ?) holding tanks will take only about 2/3 of their stated capacity. Probably because the vent pipes are inserted too far into the tanks. It will be next spring before I get our unit back to the selling dealer to look into this further.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Joe,

I don't know how to link another thread, but look in the tech corner for "holding tank size".
    The Reflection (and maybe others ?) holding tanks will take only about 2/3 of their stated capacity. Probably because the vent pipes are inserted too far into the tanks. It will be next spring before I get our unit back to the selling dealer to look into this further.

Rob
    Well that blows! The increase in holding tanks was one of my big interests in the trailer. Are you saying we can only carry 40 gallons of fresh water? Really?? That is NOT GOOD at all for me.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Paul,

I have not tried to figure out actual fresh water capacity, since we are usually hooked to city water. This could be a similar situation, depending on how far the overflow line is inserted into the tank. The only way that I can see to measure this would be to fill the tank to overflowing and then measure what can be drained out with a known capacity pail under the drain valve.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS