User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

R230 150 series tow vehicle new

Hello I have a 2018 Grand design R230 150 series fifth wheel. and am looking in to purchasing the truck to pull it. Am thinking of a 2019 Ford F250 super duty with 6.5 length bed. The wheel base is 148in and it is a 6.2 liter gas engine. with all the tow package and trailer sway stabilizer etc. My question is do you see any problem matching this truck to the fifth wheel. anything I should be aware of? Since it has the Turning Point hitch so not thinking of getting a slider. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW when I was faced with the same choice I went with a F350 diesel and auto slider.

I can't say you're wrong, but I like the security of my rig.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick, I think our 5th wheel is a little lighter than yours. 7100 -10400 lbs.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine just bought a ‘19 F250 CC , 4x4 , short bed to tow the slightly larger 260RD. Has plenty of payload. He did opt for the diesel for a bit more power. He’s already made several trips , including Tx to the Carolinas. He couldn’t be happier with the way it handles the weight. Unless you plan on trading up or doing a lot of towing in higher elevations, I would probably stick with the gasser. It should do just fine.
    Good luck , Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Charlie I appreciate the encouraging word. I think I'm on the right track so far so good.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased a 260RD, pick it up Friday. The biggest challenge I had matching a truck to the 5er wasn't total towing capacity but the payload of the truck. Our dry pin weight according to GD is 1325, yours is 1195. However, our total trailer GVWR loaded could go as high as 9495, the same as yours. A reasonable estimate of loaded pin weight is around 20% of the trailer GVWR. The manual for ours suggest not exceeding that if I remember correctly. At 20% that gives us a loaded pin weight of about 1900lbs. Add 350 for driver passenger, 250 for hitch, 250 for miscellaneous in truck, now you're at 2750. Many F250s aren't configured for a payload that high. I ended up going with a RAM 3500 to get enough payload. Be sure to check the yellow sticker in the driver side door frame of any truck to be sure you have enough payload capacity.

By the way, try to avoid the lure of the Andersen hitch. As much as I wanted to love it both GD corporate and Lippert say the Andersen king pin adapter will void the Turning Point and frame warranties. I went with the BW hitch that fit in the RAM in bed puck system. The slider BW and the auto slider Pull-Rite aren't recommended for the Turning Point.

Good luck with the new trailer!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost Supercrew 4x4 with 7.2kW generator
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I have a 2019 F-250, 6.2 liter, 4x4 Crew Cab, short bed and I tow a 290BH without issue. I also use the turning point feature. My hitch is a fix Husky hitch. I also use the custom wedge for the turning point feature. If you are going to use the turning point feature on the King pin, I would suggest getting the matching wedge plate for the hitch you select. I have not had any problems.
    Dan
    F-250
    Reflection 150 Series 290BH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like you’re on the right track. Payload is the only thing that really “gets” people anymore but you’ve likely got plenty without the diesel. You’ll want a puck-mounted hitch or a hitch that mounts to rails since you intend to use the turning-point feature.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mccartne2000 View Post
    Hello I have a 2018 Grand design R230 150 series fifth wheel. and am looking in to purchasing the truck to pull it. Am thinking of a 2019 Ford F250 super duty with 6.5 length bed. The wheel base is 148in and it is a 6.2 liter gas engine. with all the tow package and trailer sway stabilizer etc. My question is do you see any problem matching this truck to the fifth wheel. anything I should be aware of? Since it has the Turning Point hitch so not thinking of getting a slider. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    We have a 230RL with a 2019 F250 6.2 L gasser with 3200 lbs of payload, we have plenty of extra payload with our pin weight being about 1600 lbs. One word of caution if you decide to go with diesel don't get the 250 because the payload is about 2200 lbs because of the heavier engine, go with the 350 instead.

We use the turning point hitch set to swivel even though we tried it in the locked position as well. Having it set to swivel gives you alot more flexibility, with the same stability.

See my signature for all the details
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be fine with that set up. We have the same camper. This winter we upgraded from a 2017 F-150 to a GMC 3500. The F-150 was just to light a truck for the camper, got pushed around a lot on the highway. You shouldn't have that problem with the F-250. The other consideration for us is that we plan on doing a lot of long trips, several thousand miles each trip. With that in mind, just wanted a lot more truck than we needed.
    Mike, Linda, and Shady (terrier mix rescue)

Reflection 150 230 RL with free standing dinette (swapped location of the dinette and the recliners)
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali
    B&W Companion Hitch and Turning Point Pin Box locked out

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast