User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Standard overpasses on interstate highways should be 13’6” in height all others should be marked. To be sure we check the Motor Carriers Atlas, they warn of the low bridges you may encounter off the interstates. FYI if a campground says to follow their directions not your GPS to their location heed the warning. Trust me, it’s a good thing.
    2017 F-350 Platinum CC Long bed SRW with the Ultimate Tow Package
    Pullrite 16K Hitch
    2019 Reflection 320MKS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Is this what you're thinking of? The GiraffeG4

https://giraffeg4.com
    Yes, I believe that is the one I had seen.
    Thanks.

P.s anyone on here every use this device? If so how did it work for you?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the GiraffeG4 I have seen are $249.00

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberFive View Post
    Standard overpasses on interstate highways should be 13’6” in height all others should be marked. To be sure we check the Motor Carriers Atlas, they warn of the low bridges you may encounter off the interstates. FYI if a campground says to follow their directions not your GPS to their location heed the warning. Trust me, it’s a good thing.
    Just a slight correction to this post. The standard on interstate highways is actually 16 ft. Anything shorter than that should be marked. The maximum regular height of a vehicle is 13'6". Once off the freeway system most public roads plan on a 14' height but you always need to watch for the markers.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I read as much as I could for my first trip from Maine to MD, I hit problems. Using Google maps did not help, there is no filter for clearances. As most know, parkways are out, thruways are vague,but reading in a few forums, people said that the Wilbur Cross in CT was ok, obviously not the taconic in NY.
    WCross is NOT OK, with low overpasses and I had to back up my trailer into oncoming traffic in rain. Another questionable point is the Baltimore Tunnel, which is I95. Called ahead and the kid initially said sure, we have big rigs come through here all the time, BUT, he later called me back to say that RV's cannot go through it due to the stupid 20lb. propane tanks...what do they do when RV's come up to the toll booth, you cant back up! I95 and you cant take it in an RV, go figure. MAny advise against using i95 over the GW bridge, some say OK. ITs a crap shoot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    But when not sure, use one of this https://www.truckntow.com/quickclick...oogle_shopping before the oops
    A very expensive stick!
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its NOT just a clernace issue. Some Parkways, Thruways, tunnels have special restrictions that include more issues that just height. I know of no app that address all, its a combo of them, along with research that is best. Who would think that I95 tunnel wont allow RV's? I've seen huge semis go through it, but they have no gas....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Road Navigation System for Low Bridges & Other RV Road Concerns

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyK View Post
    Its NOT just a clernace issue. Some Parkways, Thruways, tunnels have special restrictions that include more issues that just height. I know of no app that address all, its a combo of them, along with research that is best. Who would think that I95 tunnel wont allow RV's? I've seen huge semis go through it, but they have no gas....
    Restrictions on propane are quite common in tunnels, especially urban. As I recall the propane restriction on the Baltimore tunnel is prominently posted miles ahead and alternate routes posted. Your point that factors other than clearance enter in to route selection is well made. There are tools like RV GPS, truck atlases. and online planners such as Trip Wizard that help, but there is no substitute for situational awareness.
    Last edited by tortise; 03-12-2020 at 08:44 AM.
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    A very expensive stick!
    Not really - that was just an example. If you do a search on them (many different brands and models) and watch for sales and coupons, one can be had at over 50% off with free shipping when all is said and done. They do come in handy, especially in wooded campgrounds.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great question and I too am interested in learning more about what others do. I am aware of the various RV/trucker GPS systems. I don't have one at this time and have not used one of the RV or trucker systems. I currently use the Rand McNally 2020 Motor Carriers' Road Atlas and find it very helpful. However, if I tow into a residential neighborhood it provides no help there or on rural county roads. I do believe the following heights for utilities are generally adhered to in most areas but I suppose there is no guarantee.

Conductor Clearance Comments

A Phase 18.5 ft Applies to phase wires 22kV and below. .

B Neutral 15.5 ft Applies to neutrals meeting NESC Rule 230E1.

C Secondary 16.0 ft Applies to secondaries 750V or less meeting NESC Rule 230C2 or 230C3 (triplex, quadruplex, etc.).

D Communication 15.5 ft Applies to cable TV, phone, fiber optic cables, etc.

Essentially you should not encounter any aerial lines installed by utility companies lower than 15.5 feet across public roads. Venture onto private property and all bets are off.

I would be interested in hearing from users of the RV GPS units regarding what if any information they provide in residential areas or on county roads about tunnel and overpass heights.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast