User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fam5mel View Post
    So what do you guys use pulling with a standard bed truck?... Looking for real world suggestions from someone with a Solitude pulling with a standard bed truck. Thanks
    When I get to the point where I'm starting to turn too sharp while backing, I just pull forward and straighten it out a bit then resume backing up. I know that sounds simplistic but it works for me and it's better for the trailer suspension and tires.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Auto slider or long bed....Any other way can be a problem IMO. B&W companion can be adjusted about 3 inches to the rear, Curt, and others can not...And 3 inches can be a mile if it keeps your cab from getting smashed....
    I towed my brothers Solitude with my Max cab dodge, short bed, with the companion non slider hitch. At times, in gas stations for example, it was un nerving knowing how fast the corner of the trailer comes to the cab, All my opinion!
    Last edited by phonemannn; 02-26-2020 at 09:55 AM.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm not mistaken, my 25K Companion sitting on an F350 Dually (2016) puck system only has two adjustments as far as forward and backward. On position is dead center over the rear axle and the other is one inch behind dead center of the rear axle. Height adjustment has three...lowest, middle, and high.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway Duck Hunt Dobber's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI the 2020 GM HD "short beds" are 6'10" in length, and the puck system is centered 3" behind the centerline of the rear axle.
    Jason & Patti (plus 3 active sons)
    2020 Refection 311BHS 5th Wheel (7/2020 build date)
    2020 GMC Sierra 3500 HD SRW w/ Duramax Crew Cab Std. Box (6/2020 build date)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking for real world suggestions from someone with a Solitude pulling with a standard bed truck. Thanks
    I'm towing a 310GK with the 6'8" bed, GMC 3500 SRW. Specs show the 310GK is 7" longer than the 2930 and I have yet to have an issue including some tight State parks. I use a B&W Turnover Ball with Companion hitch.

If you take it slowly and carefully I really don't see any issues for you.
    Mark
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    Titan Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000 with X Factor Crossmember
    2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab, 4x4, SRW 6’ box
    Factory 5th/Gooseneck Prep with 20K Reese Goosebox

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the new truck has a 6’10” bed and hitch sits 3” behind axle centerline I should gain 5” more distance between truck cab and front cap. Would be a big gain. At present rear cab is 45” from center of front cap. Mark is your Companion hitch a slider? Called lippert waiting for there advice and haven’t called B&W yet. With present truck that front cap gets really close to cab in a turn. If not watching it will hit. Thanks for info. Will update when get more info

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't necessarily assume the center of the pucks being 3" behind the axle translates into the pin of the trailer being 3" behind the axle when hitched. The hitch manufacturers can place the pin where they choose. I'd check that out for each hitch you're considering.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark is your Companion hitch a slider?
    Mine is not a slider.

When I first got the truck (I bought RV first, then found a truck to match the payload), I drove around for a few hours making tight turns pulling in and backing out of places. Whenever I thought it might be getting close to touching, I simply got out and looked. After a few times of this, perhaps 20 minutes of trial & error I had a very good idea of how much I could get away with. After those initial 20 minutes it’s easy to look and determine if you’re close while sitting in the truck.

I keep the 310 in my driveway and start the back in process with about a 70 degree angle. No issues at all. You can’t jackknife the rig into a 90 with standard (short) bed, but as others have said not a good way to treat your suspension anyway.

Hope this helps.
    Mark
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    Titan Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000 with X Factor Crossmember
    2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab, 4x4, SRW 6’ box
    Factory 5th/Gooseneck Prep with 20K Reese Goosebox

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a PullRite automatic slider hitch with my Dodge Ram 3500 since 2014 and I have been very happy with that arrangement. The only caveat is, with the Ram back in 2014, I had to buy an adaptor frame from Dodge that, with the extra height of the slider hitch, put it pretty high in the air. This required remounting the king pin box to it's lowest setting to get a lower nose (if you look there are multiple bolt holes where the box bolts to the frame).

I've pulled this arrangement more than 40,000 miles in six years. Very happy.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2016 Crew Cab 3500 Silverado, regular bed, pulling Solitude 2930RL. Using a B&W Patriot slider hitch. Works great but I have to remove the tailgate to use slider. Getting ready to order a 2020 3500.
    I really don't want an 8 foot bed. So if I order one with regular bed what are my options to gain clearance between front cap and rear of cab and turning radius? Could I use an extended pin box. Have no experience with them. Contacted Grand Design for their input but have yet to receive a response. Thanks for any and all recommendations and your experiences. 2020 truck will use puck system.
    I'm not sure if it's the same but I discovered on my Reflection 337RLS I can maneuver 180* with the tailgate open and the hitch slid back. Same standard bed CC Silverado.
    Sue & Bill
    Lansing, NY
    2017 Silverado 2500 Duramax High Country
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast