User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Thanks, Jeff. I think it would take me awhile to learn to trust the pro trailer backup assist. Can it get a toy hauler into a state park campsite with trees and concrete pylons placed by the devil?

And, holy comoly! Just called our county tax commissioner. Personal property tax on the 450 is estimated at $4k. A new Solitude or Momentum is gonna be in that tax ballpark, too, maybe more on the Momentum. That would be in addition to all the other vehicles/trailers on which we pay taxes. Better stop now before I start searching for which state has the lowest tax burden and spending the rest of the day on Zillow instead of trucktrader.com or rvtrader.com. I blame it all on growing kids.
    I've got 2 words for you.

"Montana LLC".

You're welcome.

What really burns me up in SC, the tax on a 450 is almost double that on a 250 class truck. So, you want to be safe/legal/do it the right way? Good for you, now here's your monster tax bill for.. What exactly? How does my 450 cause more burden for the government than the 250 did? That is why, incidentally, the 250 exists at all. A 250 is 99% a 350 with a different sticker on it. The magic number is <10K GVWR, which, in my area; roughly 1/2's the taxes. The 250 is a "registration beater" 350.
    Last edited by Overtaxed; 02-26-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in the Tax State of California and tax and registration fees are one of the reason I got the F250 with the 10,000 payload. At the time I couldn't find a 350 like I wanted. My registration on a 15 is over $700 a year. and my 03 SOB is $200. I don't pay property tax on these but fuel here is $1 more than the national average. We also pay 9.6% sales tax. This is the reason I didnt go over the 10,000 payload. I would have to pay more and I already pay enough.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
    I live in the Tax State of California and tax and registration fees are one of the reason I got the F250 with the 10,000 payload. At the time I couldn't find a 350 like I wanted. My registration on a 15 is over $700 a year. and my 03 SOB is $200. I don't pay property tax on these but fuel here is $1 more than the national average. We also pay 9.6% sales tax. This is the reason I didnt go over the 10,000 payload. I would have to pay more and I already pay enough.
    Government, making us safer one undersized truck at a time. Not saying your truck is undersized, but, how many people do that mental calculus in my (and sounds like your) area and wind up in a truck that's not suited for the task because they don't want to/can't pay the government enough? I know that's why I bought a 250 initially, because it was almost 1/2 the personal property tax of a 350/450. Never would have even considered it if that wasn't the case. And certainly did some illegal and possibly unsafe towing because of it. Not because I couldn't afford a 350/450 (the price difference, as most of us know, is pretty marginal), because I didn't want to lock myself into 1000's per year in additional tax. Really F'ing stupid, if you want my opinion on it, especially given that RV's and personal vehicles aren't even subject to weigh station requirements. So, you're gonna make me pay 2X, and you're never going to weigh me if I'm using a "too small" truck? I'm sure a ton of people look at that and think "I'll risk it" rather than the right answer "Get the right truck for the load you're planning to haul".

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Government, making us safer one undersized truck at a time. Not saying your truck is undersized, but, how many people do that mental calculus in my (and sounds like your) area and wind up in a truck that's not suited for the task because they don't want to/can't pay the government enough? I know that's why I bought a 250 initially, because it was almost 1/2 the personal property tax of a 350/450. Never would have even considered it if that wasn't the case. And certainly did some illegal and possibly unsafe towing because of it. Not because I couldn't afford a 350/450 (the price difference, as most of us know, is pretty marginal), because I didn't want to lock myself into 1000's per year in additional tax. Really F'ing stupid, if you want my opinion on it, especially given that RV's and personal vehicles aren't even subject to weigh station requirements. So, you're gonna make me pay 2X, and you're never going to weigh me if I'm using a "too small" truck? I'm sure a ton of people look at that and think "I'll risk it" rather than the right answer "Get the right truck for the load you're planning to haul".
    We're on the road now and have been moving south to reach some warmer climate from the Pacific Northwet. There's always been the discussion of right sized truck and whatnot, but since upgrading to a 1ton DRW I've been looking closely at what others pull with. I've been really surprised at the number of 3/4 (all brands) pulling trailers that just make no sense to me. I've seen several Solitude's being pulled by 3/4 trucks and always wondered why? I don't think there's a Solitude that I would pull with a 3/4 ton truck, a 1 ton SRW sure. I never thought about taxes until this thread and it makes perfect sense. I live in Washington and I don't even remember what I paid for my tags on my RAM 3500 DRW. I think it was about $130-$140 and next year it'll be even less because of a new bill that was passed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a 2020 model. You get the 10 speed, more hp and torque and better fuel economy. On top of that you get the new elec/hydraulic steering.
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
    One of the benefits of being a Floridian are low registration fees, low sales tax and NO state income tax.

My 2019 F-350 with 11,500 gross annual registration is $140
    My Grand Design 337RLS tag fee is $37 annually
    We owned private airplanes for over 30 years her. There are ZERO State or Federal registration or annual fees for private aircraft
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    One of the benefits of being a Floridian are low registration fees, low sales tax and NO state income tax.

My 2019 F-350 with 11,500 gross annual registration is $140
    My Grand Design 337RLS tag fee is $37 annually
    We owned private airplanes for over 30 years her. There are ZERO State or Federal registration or annual fees for private aircraft
    My sister lives in Florida. Hmmm, maybe there is a way I can register everything there. Except need one of our vehicles registered in VA and our county so we can use the trash collection centers (no rural garbage collection). County tax commissioner sends out county windshield decals once you've paid ALL of your personal property taxes, not just for the specific vehicle in question. My wife tried to renew our farm/business license. No go. We hadn't paid the $29 tax on our 1966 Shasta that is sitting in one of barns waiting for the restoration fairies to pay a visit.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    My sister lives in Florida. Hmmm, maybe there is a way I can register everything there. Except need one of our vehicles registered in VA and our county so we can use the trash collection centers (no rural garbage collection). County tax commissioner sends out county windshield decals once you've paid ALL of your personal property taxes, not just for the specific vehicle in question. My wife tried to renew our farm/business license. No go. We hadn't paid the $29 tax on our 1966 Shasta that is sitting in one of barns waiting for the restoration fairies to pay a visit.
    I don’t know how it works in VA but in Florida if police sees an out of state tag routinely dropping off a kid at school or going to work they will warn you to register in Florida if you stay more than 6 months. That’s if the vehicle is registered to you.

I suppose you could gift your vehicles to a Florida relative and register it in Florida and use it in VA. If you gift it to a relative there’s no sales tax. You would need to sign an affidavit that it was a gift to a relative. I honestly “gifted” our Toyota to my brother in law and there was no sales tax required.

Just remember that the registered owner of the vehicle is liable if there’s an accident.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good afternoon; I do TONS of research before I buy anything, one thing I’ll say is in early 2019 when I was researching the 10 speed that ford was going to use I got real excited. Later in the year I heard about the HP gain as well as the torque increase, an now I got really excited!!! Well in February of 2020 I started looking for a F 350 platinum, which I could not find and of course the dealerships wanted to sell me there 2019s. The difference between the two is literally night and day!!! I found a 450 platinum with all the goodies I wanted that was on its way to the dealer. Well I pulled the trigger and traded my 2015 f 350 loaded lariat and let me just say it is a night and day difference. The power both from the motor as well as the 10 speed is incredible!!!! I tow a solitude 374THR-R with a gross weight of 20k lbs. The difference in price between the two was insignificant to what you got.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ordered a 2020 F350 Lariat January 11(Newly christened 'Big Blue 2.0). Believe it or not, it arrived at our dealer Feb 21! We love it. We gained 1500lbs in cargo capacity. My CPA DW has crunched the numbers to the point they are begging for mercy Anyhow we're feeling a lot better with the F350 over the F250. I've not had a chance to hook it up to the 5er yet & see how it tows. The most notable difference so far has been the 10 speed transmission. From a stop, it goes thru the first 5-6 gears rather quickly. Ford said it can/will skip some gears depending on a number of factors. I had Air Lift airbags on the F250 and am wanting to put them on the F350 just for some added stability. Right now, Big Blue 2.0 has about a 1" clearance getting in the garage door. Anybody know if adding the airbags(min of 5lbs in bags at all time) will allow us to still get in the garage? I'll update on the towing experience later.
    Stephen & Kerri
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 4X4 Lariat
    Reese Goosebox

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast