User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 or 2020 F350 DRW

I hope this doesn't disappoint, but this isn't a SRW vs DRW or a Ford vs Chevy vs Ram question. I've searched the forums and haven't seen a recent discussion about the 2019 vs 2020 F350 pros and cons or pricing. There may be some good info on Ford forums, but I wanted to start here.

We're looking at up-sizing our RV due to growing kids that are about to outgrow their bunks in our 312BHTS. I've only looked online at a few of the Solitude BH models and the 397/398TH in order to accommodate our growing kids (and maybe some friends of theirs). I'll probably start another thread with regard to the actual models we are considering.

In anticipation of a new 5'er, we are looking at '19 or '20 F350 DRWs, maybe a F450. Very few 2020 F350s on the lots around here in exterior colors I like. Some leftover 2019s, but not exactly equipped with what I think I want, and hence, the left overs. Plus, many of those left overs are equipped with snow plow prep which I think results in stiffer springs - I don't want that for my daily driver right? I haven't found a single F450, other than chasis cabs within 200 miles. Looks like those would be order only or I'll have to extend my search radius. In addition to towing a new Solitude or Momentum, I do tow a stock trailer, occasionally our 26' flatbed hay trailer, and rarely, our equipment trailer to haul the farm tractor - all of which are in the 10-12K lb GVW range. We live in the Blue Ridge mountains and our farm is located off 3 miles of gravel roads that get potholes that magically appear seemingly 30 minutes after being graded. As I mentioned before, this will be my daily driver. Those pot holes rattle my brains now in my 2013 F350 SRW long bed. Also, the washboard makes the rear end kind of squirrely when unloaded Not sure what the effect will be like in a 350 DRW or the 450 with 19.5" wheels.

I haven't gotten too deep with pricing yet, but online prices on the 2019s don't reflect discounts as deep as I would think they should be, but then I'm often overly optimistic on how much money I think I should save or what is the final sales price. I read some threads about x-plan pricing and others about targeting 20% off MSRP. Does that hold true on the 2019s at this point? What about target pricing on the 2020? (I am a USAA member, Costco member and my company offers a buying program - haven't looked into any of those yet, either.)

The questions I really struggle with are: Will the 2020 10 spd prove to be reliable? What price difference warrants pulling the trigger on a 2019 vs ordering a 2020? Does the 2020 truly offer something beyond the 2019? What is the meaning of life (well, besides a beer, a campfire and family)?

Oh, I do have to make a 800-1000 mile R/T drive from VA thru WV to OH about every 7-8 weeks. There is a portion on I-77 where the expansion joints are set up perfectly for my longbed SRW to nearly bounce me out of my seat. I can't even speak on the phone during that 70-80 mile span of highway. We experienced something similar in Iowa last summer when pulling the 312 - it was brutal.

Thanks for reading my long post.
    Last edited by Fsalmy; 02-25-2020 at 11:11 AM.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of pluses for the 2020 model. You get the higher hp and torque rating on the diesel, pro trailer backup assist etc. Plus if you go 450 you get the much better turning radius on the wide track front axle. You won't see many huge discounts or big rebates on the '20's for a while yet, the Super Duty's never have more than 1-2000 rebates anyway. If you order a 2020 model expect it in about 8 weeks. I ordered a '20 F450 in late December and it is due here next week. I have the ability to track it and it's currently held in Illinois on a broken train I say unload it and let IT pull the train here lol. Good luck in your search!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Lots of pluses for the 2020 model. You get the higher hp and torque rating on the diesel, pro trailer backup assist etc. Plus if you go 450 you get the much better turning radius on the wide track front axle. You won't see many huge discounts or big rebates on the '20's for a while yet, the Super Duty's never have more than 1-2000 rebates anyway. If you order a 2020 model expect it in about 8 weeks. I ordered a '20 F450 in late December and it is due here next week. I have the ability to track it and it's currently held in Illinois on a broken train I say unload it and let IT pull the train here lol. Good luck in your search!
    Thanks, Jeff. I think it would take me awhile to learn to trust the pro trailer backup assist. Can it get a toy hauler into a state park campsite with trees and concrete pylons placed by the devil?

And, holy comoly! Just called our county tax commissioner. Personal property tax on the 450 is estimated at $4k. A new Solitude or Momentum is gonna be in that tax ballpark, too, maybe more on the Momentum. That would be in addition to all the other vehicles/trailers on which we pay taxes. Better stop now before I start searching for which state has the lowest tax burden and spending the rest of the day on Zillow instead of trucktrader.com or rvtrader.com. I blame it all on growing kids.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Thanks, Jeff. I think it would take me awhile to learn to trust the pro trailer backup assist. Can it get a toy hauler into a state park campsite with trees and concrete pylons placed by the devil?

And, holy comoly! Just called our county tax commissioner. Personal property tax on the 450 is estimated at $4k. A new Solitude or Momentum is gonna be in that tax ballpark, too, maybe more on the Momentum. That would be in addition to all the other vehicles/trailers on which we pay taxes. Better stop now before I start searching for which state has the lowest tax burden and spending the rest of the day on Zillow instead of trucktrader.com or rvtrader.com. I blame it all on growing kids.
    Wow that's crazy! Come to Texas and join the party, no personal property tax on our vehicular toys, no state income tax, and license fees about $ 100-130 year on Super Duty's.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost 10 percent here, Tax and registration. 900.00 year truck registration. 600.00 year Rv registration....
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Move to Oregon. No personal property tax, no sales tax and the registration fees are around $268 for two years for for my 2500 and my 31' TT is 222.25 for one year. Oregon doesn't care what the vehicle is it goes by mpg's.
    If I had to pay $4K in taxes on a truck and close to the same on a 5er I'd find something else to do for fun. I hope thats not yearly.
    Last edited by goducks14; 02-25-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Move to Oregon. No personal property tax, no sales tax and the registration fees are around $268 for two years for for my 2500 and my 31' TT is 222.25 for one year. Oregon doesn't care what the vehicle is it goes by mpg's.
    If I had to pay $4K in taxes on a truck and close to the same on a 5er I'd find something else to do for fun. I hope thats not yearly.
    Just the 1000 a year registration, almost.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Yes, that is yearly. Based on assessed value and class. There is a personal vehicle tax relief of some percentage. Can't recall what, though.

For example, a current model year RV tax assessment is determined at 85% of cost. And then $4.25/$100 value. So, let's just use $100K on our imaginary new RV. 0.85 x 100000 = 85000. 85000/100 = 850. 850 * 4.25 = $3600 After the first year, NADA loan value or something like that is used in subsequent years. Keep it 10 years and you've probably paid $20,000 in personal property tax on top of the sales tax and registration fees (latter are low on trailers).

Plus sales tax. Plus state income tax. Plus real estate tax. Oh, man, I need an Excedrin. Or a scotch.

My wife says its worth it to live on a farm in the mountains....
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that is yearly. Based on assessed value and class. There is a personal vehicle tax relief of some percentage. Can't recall what, though.
    I found the info on personal vehicle tax relief in Virgina: ​The Personal Property Tax Relief Act of 1998 provides tax relief for any passenger car, motorcycle, or pickup or panel truck having a registered gross weight of less than 7,501 pounds. It's up to the first $20,000 in value. Both the F350 DRW and F450 exceed the weight limit for tax relief.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the info on personal vehicle tax relief in Virgina: ​The Personal Property Tax Relief Act of 1998 provides tax relief for any passenger car, motorcycle, or pickup or panel truck having a registered gross weight of less than 7,501 pounds. It's up to the first $20,000 in value. Both the F350 DRW and F450 exceed the weight limit for tax relief.
    Ouch. Well I guess you can look on the bright side in that RV's depreciate pretty fast so your tax on it will drop at a good clip.
    I hear ya on the farm in the mountains thing. We pay more for some things here in Oregon, but the location is hard to beat. Hour to the pacific ocean, 2 hours to the mountains and another 30 mins and you're in the desert. No hurricanes, tornadoes, hail storms, no big snowfall, big bugs or high humidity. Just a dreary 4 months from Nov 1st til March 1st.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast