User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone add a third AC unit?

We are thinking about adding a third AC unit to our 2018 Solitude 377MBS. I am curious if anyone on the forum has explored this idea on a Solitude?

Thanks
    Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would require opening up the roof, reframing to support the weight, making it clean inside, tying into the ducts, running power and thermostat wiring. Very involved to do after the fact if the trailer is not "prepped" for it. Not likely any have done it.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've considered the same thing. We are not satisfied with the cooling ability of our rig and wish GD had prepped for a third AC. They are now offering a third AC on 2020 models, finally realizing that 3 AC's may very well be needed on larger rigs (and maybe because one of their engineers left to help start Alliance RV who does put 3 AC units on their 5th wheels).

I thought of sacrificing the ceiling/roof vent in the galley but would have to get power to it. Also, getting a wire from another thermostat to the location is an issue. I would not be concerned about attaching to existing ductwork since dumping the air directly into the coach from the AC would be fine. Since we keep our rig on a permanent site, I've also wondered about just installing a small mini split unit but there is just no decent place in our rig for the inside unit.

I kick myself for not asking about this when we looked at this rig. We came out of a 42' motorhome with 3 AC/heat pumps. Our Solitude is 41' and I should have realized that two AC units may not have been adequate.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the possibility of using a portable A/C venting through a window? I know we have done it in the past but our rig is a little smaller. If your roof isnt prepped for a 3rd roof air this might be a possibility.

Mike

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The interesting thing about the 377mbs floor plan is the overhead vent located in the loft area which is the typical 14x14 crank up vent. It happens to be about dead center of the roof and likely in between the existing duct work.

I think the most difficult part of the install would be the romex and thermostat control wires assuming you could duct the unit.

Should the unit not be able to tie into existing ducting, it could be used as a straight dump unit with roof controls. I suppose the only complication here would be possible compressor short cycling due non-directed airflow at the loft area

I think I am going to do some NDT to check out the bracing and possible wire routing locations I’ll repost back with findings.

2018 Solitude 377MBS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ordered my parts and hope to start the project in a week or two. After some exploration it looks like the unit will fit in the kitchen just forward of overhead light box but before the loft area. I’ll respond back with photos of the finished project when I’m done.
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a post on this forum called (ac cooling issues with 379 Solitude) in the general discussion area for Solitudes. He added a third ac. What he did looks and works great. I’ve seen the results of the job.
    2018 Reflection 337RL / 2022 GMC Denali 3500HD CC LB Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone add a third AC unit?

All done, third ac successfully added! It was installed between the kitchen hutch and the lights over the island. Overall not too big a deal. If anyone wants details, please let me know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	26124

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	26125

Last edited by mraplx; 04-22-2020 at 09:00 PM.
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want details! Please all you have lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=mraplx;290237]All done, third ac successfully added! It was installed between the kitchen hutch and the lights over the island. Overall not too big a deal. If anyone wants details, please let me know.

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	26124

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	26125

I would love details. Considering it on our '20 367BHS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast