Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet shots

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Wasn't aware there's a rattlesnake vaccine. That's good to know.

Mike
    I was concerned about rattlesnakes when we traveled west a few years ago. You have to have a series long before you travel to gain full effect and it doesn't necessarily save the pet. It does buy time to get to a vet. We decided to not do it because the more I read the more I wasn't confident in a vaccine that was tested on very few dogs.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We travel with full records of our dogs health and shots but have never been asked to present them, not even crossing into Canada several years ago.
    The dogs go with us all the time and feel that having all the info could save needless testing and time at a new vet in a strange town. As they age (both are 14yrs old) the chances of needing a vet increase.

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We take our kitty with us every camping trip. He is an indoor cat and we dont let him out of the trailer. We have his rabies shots up to date and keep documents with his travel crate but have never been asked for them. Since he stays inside the whole time I dont usually tell we have him with us unless asked.

mike

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahriad View Post
    We keep all shots current and carry the records including bordetella and rattlesnake vaccine. Bordatella in case we have to board him and rattlesnake as we travel a lot in the West
    As a veterinary pathologist, thought I better jump in here with a little public service announcement.

The rattlesnake vaccine has no proven efficacy or safety. As far as I can tell, there have been zero controlled studies. I don't believe it is fully licensed for use in dogs or horses. The company that developed it is based just north of UC Davis College of Veterinary Medicine (where I did my residency and PhD). I have colleagues still at Davis. Not one of them recommends its use. And, pathophysiologically speaking, it is illogical for a vaccine to afford protection from an acute process such as a snake bite. It takes several days for the immune cells (specifically, memory T-cells) to mount an antibody response following the stimulus. Vaccines are designed to "preprime" immune cells to respond when a foreign agent is recognized. In the case of a snake bite, several days for an antibody response is too late. Antivenin, on the other hand, is proven to reduce the severity and long term effects of rattlesnake bites. Perhaps less so with copperheads. Steroids used to be recommended, but recent studies have shown little efficacy and improved outcomes, so most emergency vets and criticalists do not treat with steroids. Antivenin aint cheap. Depending on the supply and location in the country, figure $800-1000 per dose. Sometimes it takes more than one dose.

Bottom line for me on the rattlesnake vaccine is that our veterinarian's oath includes, "Above all else, do no harm". I can't say that is the case with this vaccine.

Edit: this is not medical advice. Just my opinion. As always, speak to your vet if you have questions or concerns.
    Last edited by Fsalmy; 02-26-2020 at 01:12 PM.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We travel with 2 indoor cats and have a folder with their latest records just incase, so far has not been needed. . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Site Sponsor The_Traveling_Neelys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We upload all of our doggie records to OneDrive so we always have them... even when we are at home.

On a related note, we were at a campground and needed to take our doggie to a local groomer (she got into something smelly). Groomers want to see vaccination records. We were able to pull them up on our OneDrive account and get her in for an appointment.
    Truck: 2012 Ram 3500
    5er: 2018 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. We take our dogs with us every time we camp. We have never been asked for any records anywhere. I just told my wife, after reading this, that we need to start carrying their records just in case. Thanks.
    Chuck & Robin, LuLu and Georgie
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2019 2670MK
    5.7 Toyota Tundra TRD with Towing Package
    TRD sway bar & Firestone air bags

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carry your dog or cat's recent shot papers and rabies certificate

We carry both our dogs and cat's recent vet papers, rabies certificates and history of shots. More camp grounds are asking for them. And if someone gets bite or says they were bite by your pet it is easier to show they had their shots. The only way to test a pet for rabies is to take their brains out and test them. For a human they give shots in the stomach, and there is a time limit after the bite. I used to work for a vet, so please carry your papers! Make it easier on you and you pet.

Quote Originally Posted by doublea View Post
    I am new to the RV and CG world. We are planning on taking our cat with us. Do Camp Grounds ask for vet records and what should we have with us for paperwork? I know a dumb question. Thanks for the help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doublea View Post
    I am new to the RV and CG world. We are planning on taking our cat with us. Do Camp Grounds ask for vet records and what should we have with us for paperwork? I know a dumb question. Thanks for the help.
    So glad you will be traveling with your fur baby! We have a Golden Retriever and carry a file with our vet’s name and the shots she’s had, especially rabies. Your vet could print you a copy for your records. Some campgrounds will ask, some won’t. As an aside to your question, I would also like you to be aware that campgrounds will not call you if their power goes out. Which means if you are out and about for a few hours and it’s hot outside it would be a dangerous position for your pet. We purchased a MarCELL Multisensor monitor to use inside the RV when we leave for a few hours. It monitors the temperature, electricity, and humidity. And will either text or email you if the power goes out or the temperature has risen. For us it is truly a piece of mind. Best wishes on your new travels!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way to confirm rabies is to evaluate the brain. If vaccination history is unknown or insufficient, the animal is quarantined and observed for 14 days. Post-exposure prophylaxis consists of 4 injections (combo immune globulin and rabies vaccine on Day 0, and then 3 rabies vaccine only on Days 3, 7 and 14) in the upper arm. The injections in the stomach are no longer given and haven’t been for years.

IMO, I find somewhat ridiculous that campgrounds ask for vaccination records beyond rabies. Based upon what expertise do they determine an animal is fully vaccinated? As a veterinarian, a pathologist and former professor of veterinary medicine, I can assure you we over vaccinate our pets by a country (vet) mile.

/soapbox off
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast