User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tires... again... Balancing

Ok, lots of info and comments about tires... This may be somewhat different. I just got a 2020 GD 349M. Took the tire/wheels assembly to a tire place as the RV dealer did not have a tire machine. We had not even picked up the Unit yet. The RV dealer had the unit in his shop and took the wheels off so I could take them to have the TPMS units installed in the tires. When doing so I asked the Tire dealer to balance them as well. He checked all 4 and it would have taken 10.1 to 11.7 oz. of weight to balance them so he did not do so obviously.

I reported this to the dealer, that the tires are defective and needed to be replaced. The answer back from the GD place that supplies the tires... Cant remember their name... said they would not guarantee that the tires would every balance no matter how many set they sent to me. They said they would send me a set of tires though to try to make me happy. Again, no guarantee that they would balance.

I am a former diesel mechanic and large fleet manager, for me.... anything that turns needs to be balanced. I know no one will be in the 5r to feel anything... but that is not the point at all... the point is damage to the 5r itself from all that vibration.... screws falling out to say the least. Vibration causes premature damage to the entire unit and everything in it. Except for my pillow....

Some people say that trailer tires don't need to be balanced, RV dealers say that, RV manufactures say that, but they don't want to buy more expensive tires that can be balanced nor do they want to be responsible for tires that don't balance out..... but they do want to sell more RV's.

After that being said, Who knows of a 16" 14 ply G rated that will guarantee the tire will balance and replace it if it does not ?? I am not sure tire beads, Centramatic Balancers or the like can compensate for that much weight offset.
    Last edited by LAFRENTZR; 02-26-2020 at 10:48 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say that 10 oz. out of balance seems abnormal. When I had four new Sailun S637 installed, three of them balanced within an oz or two. The fourth required no weight after a slight rotation on the wheel. You might also investigate the balance of the wheels. 10+ oz. is a lot.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wonder. I've had a lot of places tell me the same thing about balancing tires. I've read that tire places must use lug centric adapters to properly balance trailer tires because they are not hub centric rims. Does using hub centric balancing equipment cause the balance to seem to be way off like that? I don't know. When I had our Imagine tires balanced at the dealership, they brought in a subcontractor who only does road force balancing so the tires are balanced on the RV axles. That cost $400. They said that is really the only way to do it other than using a balancing machine with the special lug centric adapter. My local Discount Tire said they never heard of lug centric balancing. Well I bought the centramatic balancers.

I whole hardly agree with you that running unbalanced tires will shorten tire life, cause all kinds of vibrations damaging the RV and its subsystems, and even shorten the life of the suspension components.
    Well like I said I bought the centramatic balancers @ $250 for 4. Do they work, don't know really for sure, but many here on this forum use them and I have read other accounts from other social media they they do. time will tell.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always have our trailer tires balanced no matter what the trailer is used for. Boy, I have never had a tire take 10 or 11 ounces that really sounds like cheap tires with no quality control.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also use Centramatic wheel balancers on our 26RLS trailer and its honestly hard to tell when towing if they make a that much of a difference of not. That said the trailer does seem to tow steadier and smoother. I will say this, we no longer have to move the furniture back into place when we get where we are going, so I have to assume that they are working.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    We also use Centramatic wheel balancers on our 26RLS trailer and its honestly hard to tell when towing if they make a that much of a difference of not. That said the trailer does seem to tow steadier and smoother. I will say this, we no longer have to move the furniture back into place when we get where we are going, so I have to assume that they are working.

I know what you mean, I don't really notice any difference in towing but I also know what was most likely going on back there in the coach without balancing. I thought the centramatic video they have was convincing enough. Well I bought them, we will see what happens.
    Another point that lead me to buy the centramatics was, I have absolutely no confidence in tire stores around my area, bunch of red neck idiots! They don't give a darn how they balance tires, and in the beginning they would tell you that you don't need to balance trailer tires and if you tell them to do it anyway, they will pound weights all over the rim. Also there is no way they will brake down a tire and rotate it on the rim and try again, they are not that smart.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbowman View Post
    We always have our trailer tires balanced no matter what the trailer is used for. Boy, I have never had a tire take 10 or 11 ounces that really sounds like cheap tires with no quality control.
    "...that really sounds like cheap tires with no quality control." Exactly! You nit the nail on the head. Why do they do this? Because it's the cheapest way to do it so the company makes more money.
    2019 GD Imagine 2600RB
    Maxxis M8008 ST Radial 225/75R-15 E 10-ply tires
    MoRryde CRE2-35 CRE3000 w/ wet bolt kit & X-Factor cross-member
    Furrion Observation camera with 5-inch monitor
    Equalizer WDH 1,000/10,000

2018 Toyota Tundra SR5 Extended Cab
    Michelin Defender LTX E-rated tires
    RoadMaster Active Suspension (in lieu of TRD sway bar and airbags)
    BakFLip MX4 hard-folding tonneau cover
    Putco Blade LED Tailgate Light Bar
    Westin stainless R7 running boards

Southern Arizona - We're close to Tombstone and can see Mexico (Mt. San Jose) from our backyard.
    US Army, Retired

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LAFRENTZR View Post
    Ok, lots of info and comments about tires... This may be somewhat different. I just got a 2020 GD 349M. Took the tire/wheels assembly to a tire place as the RV dealer did not have a tire machine. We had not even picked up the Unit yet. The RV dealer had the unit in his shop and took the wheels off so I could take them to have the TPMS units installed in the tires. When doing so I asked the Tire dealer to balance them as well. He checked all 4 and it would have taken 10.1 to 11.7 oz. of weight to balance them so he did not do so obviously.

I reported this to the dealer, that the tires are defective and needed to be replaced. The answer back from the GD place that supplies the tires... Cant remember their name... said they would not guarantee that the tires would every balance no matter how many set they sent to me. They said they would send me a set of tires though to try to make me happy. Again, no guarantee that they would balance.

I am a former diesel mechanic and large fleet manager, for me.... anything that turns needs to be balanced. I know no one will be in the 5r to feel anything... but that is not the point at all... the point is damage to the 5r itself from all that vibration.... screws falling out to say the least. Vibration causes premature damage to the entire unit and everything in it. Except for my pillow....

Some people say that trailer tires don't need to be balanced, RV dealers say that, RV manufactures say that, but they don't want to buy more expensive tires that can be balanced nor do they want to be responsible for tires that don't balance out..... but they do want to sell more RV's.

After that being said, Who knows of a 16" 14 ply G rated that will guarantee the tire will balance and replace it if it does not ?? I am not sure tire beads, Centramatic Balancers or the like can compensate for that much weight offset.
    LAFRENTZR

I see this is you first post - welcome to the forum

Lionshead - aka Westlake appears to be trying to help you out. What I question is your tire dealer and their ability to balance. Been around balancing tires a long time, and yes, to me, it is critical to balance, both for destructive vibration and tire wear. To install the TPMS did they just deflate and unseat the tire at the valve stem location? Did your dealer try and rotate the tire on the rim to put the heavy side opposite the valve and TPMS. Did they spin just the rim to check if the rim was true and not out of balance?

My Westlakes balanced up well, but tire guys did have to deflate and spin the tires on the rim.

As for lug-centric verses hub centric -balance machines most tire shops use are hub centerc machine's - IE spin a cone into the center of the wheel hub. If you do a search on this you will find a lot of information. Hub centric adapters are available, but cost prohibitive. Balancing wise in my opinion the hub centric approach is better to me. A good tire shop will have a dynamic machine that will give information on where to place weights on BOTH sides of the rim. Hover having tires that cant be balanced is still as common today as it was years ago

Back in 77 (when I had $$ to burn, I outfitted my F250 4/4 high boy with BFG Mud Terrains - (new to the market). Dealer went through 8 tires to find 4 he could balance. Goodrich had a manufacturing issue that they were able to correct, but even today the big tires and still be a pain to balance.

Bottom line, look around at the other tire shops and educate yourself. If you find one with a high speed dynamic balance (100 mph +) they probably know their stuff.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Well I bought them, we will see what happens.
    Hey Steve,
    We also have a Solitude...do you know the model number of the Centramatic you bought? I can't determine the correct one from their website.
    thanks
    RobM
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Hey Steve,
    We also have a Solitude...do you know the model number of the Centramatic you bought? I can't determine the correct one from their website.
    thanks
    RobM
    Sorry Rob late getting back to you. They are 300-318A for 16 inch rims 8 bolt "A" balancer. Yes there web site leaves some to be desired. You most likely will have to call them direct to order them, they only list the 300-318 on their web site and you need the 300-318 A.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 02-29-2020 at 06:09 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast