User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grand Design - the end of warranty work.

As I stated I would post, here is a follow up related to my warranty work on my 2019 312 BHTS. The first part is my 3 appointments, each was a drop off and pickup trip so actually 6 trips, to General RV in Jacksonville. The second part will be my final 2 appointments, 4 trips, to General RV in Ocala. The warranty trips have cost me right at $900.00 for diesel and tolls. That backs the theory of buying close to where you live. Although I never expected to have this many issues, stress and spent time. GD has approved all issues as warranty work, as they should. I suggest for your last warranty work submitting a list explaining in detail the issues to your dealer and Grand Design. Also, request on your list to the dealer that any issues “not covered” are noted as denied by GD. (I believe this cuts out any possible B.S. and will get a lot of items fixed).

Jacksonville Appointments:
    Entry door hard to latch closed. FIX- dealer adjusted latch.
    Bathroom sink dented in front. FIX- dealer replaced sink, did a sloppy caulk job.
    3 skirting braces unattached due to broken screws. FIX- dealer reattached.
    Broken screw in slide trim. FIX- dealer replaced screw.
    Outside kitchen door wouldn’t lock, damage to drawer. FIX- dealer adjusted and replaced drawer front.
    Stove top not flush with countertop. FIX- dealer adjusted stove.
    Finger pulls on both pocket doors fall out. FIX- I hammered tabs further into wood.
    Latch on drop down bunk missing part. FIX- dealer repaired.
    Sewer cap cracked. FIX- dealer replaced.
    Fresh water tank drain valve leaked. FIX- Dealer cleaned glue out of valve.
    Hot water heater door not closing properly. FIX- Dealer straightened bent door.
    Shower enclosure wall bulging at bottom. FIX- dealer added plastic attachment fitting.
    Master bedroom door had cracked trim and jamb, not closing against stop. FIX- dealer replaced wood, I pulled jamb and shimmed/ adjusted in both directions for door to close against stop.
    Shower curb framing or enclosure slightly crooked. FIX- none.
    Frame and welds rusting at delivery. FIX- I undercoated rusting areas.
    Living room slide noisy. FIX- dealer lubricated.
    Shower track leaking. FIX- small visible gap, I removed caulk and re-caulked while on trip.

Ocala Appointments:
    Driver side equalizer can’t be greased in center. FIX- dealer greased with electric gun.
    Broken slide trim screw. FIX- dealer replaced.
    Shower enclosure walls installed with double sided tape (not holding), walls have bulged at top in two places. FIX- dealer ordered attachment fittings.
    Four shades short and deforming at top. FIX- dealer ordered new, longer shades.
    Loose ceiling trim in bunkroom. FIX- dealer secured.
    Top carpet at living room slide was crooked front to back by 1 ˝”. FIX- dealer ordered carpet.
    Awning retracting off center. FIX- dealer ordered awning fabric.
    Light above docking station not working. FIX- dealer replaced light.
    Gas leak at tanks. FIX- dealer replaced lines and regulator.
    Recliners attached at one point and not secure. FIX- dealer attached properly.
    Refrigerator leaking water outside at vent. FIX- dealer routed drain line properly.
    Refrigerator causing intermittent audible vibration. FIX- dealer pulled refrigerator and attached plywood properly.
    Water leaking between gutter and roof, FIX- dealer sealed leaking areas.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly, Brewhead, I could cut and paste your list and only have to add/subtract here and there to have my own complete list of warranty repairs for our 312.

The warranty repair list, as generated by the dealer, is now 51 or 52 items long.

The two biggest items that you have not experienced, knock on wood, were:
    -Warped outside kitchen door - finally completely replaced under warranty after adjusting struts and latch and GD denying initial claims it was warped. New decals, however, are less than perfect and that bothers me.
    -Kitchen slide gouged floor (occurred while at dealer for other repairs) - repaired floor, replaced glide blocks with rollers. Can see repair. Replacing entire floor would result in installing transition moulding at bathroom, bedroom and bunkhouse doors. Island would have to be removed. I
    still haven't decided if I want to go that route, but have a little time left to make a decision.

We still have to make another trip to the dealer to get new wood panel inserts for the refrigerator installed. Both lower panels were damaged somehow while it was in the shop last time. Probably during replacement of the eyebrow board. Replacement panels on order.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many of those are thing GD should have found in their factory inspections and it's got to be frustrating for you. With 2 of the same trailers having the same issues , if there are 2 here there are sure to be more. To me that points to poor production on that particular line and GD slacking on QC at the end.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least half the list I would have taken care of myself instead of spending all that time at the Dealer. But I've got a little Red Green in me.

Sent from my old rotary phone using Tapatalk [emoji3513]

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it didn't require new parts, I made the repairs myself - I'd estimate another 10-12 items to add to the list of 51.

Just off the top of my head,
    I repaired the skirting braces due to broken screws.
    I repaired screen door latch. Twice. Screen door was finally replaced under warranty because it was not square.
    Spent over an hour working on main door latch to get it to close properly. That was after selling dealership worked on it for about 2 hours following PDI.
    Undercoated rusty welds.
    Secured bunkhouse door trim.
    Adjusted cabinet latches.
    Replaced outside kitchen drawer fronts once after new fronts were shipped directly to me - delivered to dealer with damage. Then, after I replaced, drawer catch mechanisms were too weak to keep drawers in place while underway. Dealer just replaced both
    drawer fronts again. I added cupboard latches to solve problem.
    Kitchen sink caulk was missing in some areas. Dealer re-caulked. Poor job so I redid it.
    Replaced shower door track caulking.

Several more, but you get the idea.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever you do on your own is fine. I choose not to repair most issues because of what I paid and I shouldn't have to. It has been frustrating, a PITA and surprising. What it amounts to is GD has build quality issues just like every other manufacturer. As you can imagine, I don't buy the marketing claims that they are "head and shoulders" above the rest in the industry, I believe that's called "puffing". Having said that, they have not tried to dodge fixing any issues. Their warranty has a couple of "outs" they could have used but I was told issues are evaluated on a case by case basis. Bottom line is: It is what it is and I'm through with any complaining, the interior looks nice, the floor plan is just what we were looking for and onward to more travels.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    Whatever you do on your own is fine. I choose not to repair most issues because of what I paid and I shouldn't have to. It has been frustrating, a PITA and surprising. What it amounts to is GD has build quality issues just like every other manufacturer. As you can imagine, I don't buy the marketing claims that they are "head and shoulders" above the rest in the industry, I believe that's called "puffing". Having said that, they have not tried to dodge fixing any issues. Their warranty has a couple of "outs" they could have used but I was told issues are evaluated on a case by case basis. Bottom line is: It is what it is and I'm through with any complaining, the interior looks nice, the floor plan is just what we were looking for and onward to more travels.
    It is a shame but you end up getting to a point of where you just move on or get a different trailer. With the odds of getting anything better is slim what good will that do. At least with GD you do get some support for taking care of the problems that you do get.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    I'm understand what you are saying and agree completely. I too have a long list about 20% I've done out of frustration. I'm still trying to get to an end of the issues. Right now I've found half of the wet bolts to be non- greasable again.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 02-27-2020 at 04:03 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I'm understand what you are saying and agree completely. I too have a long list about 20% I've done out of frustration. I'm still trying to get to and end of issues. Right now I've found half of the wet bolts to be non- greasable again.
    Yeah the greasing thing must require a lot of pressure. I needed a new grease gun and found this and it is a quality piece with a unique feature that locks onto the zerk.

https://locknlube.com/collections/gr...grease-gun-kit

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it sucks but $900 out of pocket. I think I would have took care of most of that myself maybe got it down to just one trip to the dealer to finish up. Its a shame that it is this way after we pay good money for these things.. I think this industry would benefit greatly by moving to mexico. Wonder why they havent? The workforce in Indiana is not qualified or sober enough to build these things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast