User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating parking space - advise on my plan please!

First time 5th wheel owner picking it up in May. I am making plans to move my fence to make a spot for the camper and would like some experienced 5er owners advice on what I am planning on having for a spot to park it. See the image, but the spot will be 12 feet wide at the last 20 feet of space (between my garage and fence). Driveway is about 50ft long with a fence down the entire length of one side. I am on the alley and my neighbors driveway across the street is wide open to the alley. My RV is a GD Reflection 311BHS 37ft long.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camper Parking.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	25046
    2020 Reflection 311BHS
    2017 F350 CCSB 6.7L
    B&W Companion non-slider Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks doable. Your 3 pt turn from driver's ed, will more likely be a 13 pt turn to get the trailer lined up straight for your 12' slot. It'll help if your's and across the street driveways actually abut the alley. Can you post satellite or street view from google maps? Be sure and use a spotter with a strong voice so if or when they say "stop" you hear them and immediately stop. It also helps to get out of the truck and see for yourself what's going on back there instead of relying on "go left, no the other way, my left not yours" or a variation thereof. If you have experience towing bumper pull trailers you will do fine.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFSolitude View Post
    It looks doable. Your 3 pt turn from driver's ed, will more likely be a 13 pt turn to get the trailer lined up straight for your 12' slot. It'll help if your's and across the street driveways actually abut the alley. Can you post satellite or street view from google maps? Be sure and use a spotter with a strong voice so if or when they say "stop" you hear them and immediately stop. It also helps to get out of the truck and see for yourself what's going on back there instead of relying on "go left, no the other way, my left not yours" or a variation thereof. If you have experience towing bumper pull trailers you will do fine.
    Yeah I have experience with a 20ft bumper pull. In the Google Maps Sat pic below is my bumper pull that normally parks next to the garage (to the south, north is the alley). The fence is currently about 8.5ft from the garage and I back that camper in that spot usually alone or with a teenage son or daughter helping. I have about 4-6 inches clearance on both sides with my current camper setup.... I am not too worried about fitting in 12 feet but have 0 experience with a 5er and with the cost of these things I am bit nervous. I wish winter would just end so I can get it home and get it going!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-26 125754.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	25049
    2020 Reflection 311BHS
    2017 F350 CCSB 6.7L

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO you will be just fine. You'll soon learn that a 5th-wheel tows much differently than a bumper pull. The pivot point is directly over your rear axle & is easier to control when you are backing. I personally enjoy towing & backing a 5th-wheel more than a bumper pull. You'll also benefit from having your RV at home as opposed to at a storage yard. You'll be able to wash, clean, and load all your necessities without having to make repeat trips to the storage yard. Good luck!

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely can be done. You’ll have some learning pains to go through. 5th wheel responds slower to direction changes at first, then faster. Takes a little getting used to. The fence and garage will give you a nice guideline so you’ll know when you are square. People trying to help you will likely just be waving their arms uselessly because of the delayed response time of the fiver
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only that that could make it more complex is if your alley is a big dip between you and the neighbor.

Your ability to pull forward to straighten out will be the key here. I had the same sort of thing and asked my neighbor if I could remove a bush on the alley to allow me to pull forward onto his area to get square.
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiceman View Post
    Only that that could make it more complex is if your alley is a big dip between you and the neighbor.

Your ability to pull forward to straighten out will be the key here. I had the same sort of thing and asked my neighbor if I could remove a bush on the alley to allow me to pull forward onto his area to get square.
    My confidence level has gone way up with all the responses. No dip anywhere, besides maybe in the driver seat...
    2020 Reflection 311BHS
    2017 F350 CCSB 6.7L

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If using a spotter have some walkie talkie's or cellphones' much more reliable than hand waving.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be good to go. Looks like plenty of room.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackwagon, if I have my bearing straight based on your picture, my advice is to travel north on 17th St past your driveway, hug the east side of the road and be sure your whole trailer is beyond your driveway by a reasonable distance. When you start backing, you can see the trailer much better because you're looking mostly out your driver's side window. As others reccomended have a spotter or two for your first few times. Turn your radio off and open both front windows so you can hear better. Remind spotters that if they can't see you in the mirrors, then you can't see them. Looks like you have enough open area to make multipoint turns. Take your time and you'll do fine. And if required, don't be afraid to ask neighbors move vehicles if you need a little extra space.

Exciting times ahead!
    Jason

p.s. I sent you a private message
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS