User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Model Recommendations to Accommodate Growing Kids

Looking for recommendations for models that can accommodate our family of four and our travel dog. Our kids are tweens and are growing rapidly. I think they both got the tall genes from my wife's side of the family - her father and brothers are all 6'3"+. My wife is 5'10".

We purchased the 312BH primarily for the bunkhouse and ability to give them their own room while mom and dad can stay up. The opposing kitchen and living room slides make for a nice plan. However, my son is now < 2" from outgrowing his 72" bunk. Same for my daughter who is in the 70" flip down bunk. There is a love seat trifold sofa that we use for friends that come along on a few outings per year.

Since we missed most of the nearby RV shows this winter, I've been looking online for bunkhouse models. Hard to say for sure, but some of the models appear to have the same xx" x 72" bunks. Others like the Solitude 3550BH and 3740BH may provide a little large bunk option. We take our 4 bikes with us and have a RV-rated bike carrier for the receiver on our 312. That same bike rack would make accessing the rear strorage on the 3550BH impossible without unloading bikes AND removing the bike carrier. That makes think about something with mid and loft bunks. Or even something like the Momentum 397 or 399. For the THs, can you (i.e. kids) sleep comfortably on the flip-up couches of the Happi-Jack? Would a mattress topper work/fit/improve the sleep surface? What about the loft area in the 397 or 399? I've never been in any of the models mentioned.

My wife and I really like that our current setup allows us to get up in the morning, make some coffee and sit in the living area without waking the kids. If weather is good, we head outside in the morning. Although I suppose in just a few years when they become teens, we can probably play Metallica at full volume while not disturbing them one iota.

The only dealer within 150 miles of us and with the 3550, 3740 and 3950 is General RV in Richmond. They do not have any 397s or 399s on the lot. Lazydays in Knoxville has a 397 and I think all of the Solitude BH models, but that's 4+ hours away.

What are your thoughts?
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tents!!!! Lol. I think that’s our plan.

I’m a fan of using what you have. Do you have enough room for cots on the floor in the bunk room if you pull the bottom bunk? Coleman makes a nice 76” cot I’ve used several times.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip94ta View Post
    Tents!!!! Lol. I think that’s our plan.

I’m a fan of using what you have. Do you have enough room for cots on the floor in the bunk room if you pull the bottom bunk? Coleman makes a nice 76” cot I’ve used several times.
    Lol. We've considered tents! Some RV parks allow them on same spot, some don't. If we boondock and weather is good, it's definitely an option. We have three Eno hammocks and one Eno stand. Some campgrounds allow attachment to trees, some don't.

We also have two or three cots from our tent camping days, including one bunk cot. It will fit in the bunk house, but not where the trifold sofa is located. It would have to be in the middle of the floor. An option, but not ideal. Especially with friends along.

On RV Trader, my son found a Prevost and a Newmar with 76"+ bunks. Perhaps he should also search for the winning lottery ticket numbers. And a job. And a growth inhibitor.

Edit: Forgot to add that he made a good argument for a diesel pusher or a super c - all of their friends and our dog can fit in the same vehicle. So, there's that.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I see Prevost or Newmar’s with bunks I think rock band. A black light inspection may be required. My son is really good at searching Lamborghinis and Ford GTs for some reason.

CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may be best served by the larger bunks in a toy hauler with the happi-jack system. Additionally you will have the storage space for bikes and stuff as well. However, the living area tends to be a lot more limited. These also tend to have the additional bathroom which can be useful. Do not forget the Momentum G-Class Fifth Wheels as these can work well without the much higher cost of the full blown Momentums (-TH and -M models).

If your kids don't mind sleeping on a sofa bed - the 376THS could check a lot of boxes for you but you will hit a hard upper limit on sleepability.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I see Prevost or Newmar’s with bunks I think rock band. A black light inspection may be required. My son is really good at searching Lamborghinis and Ford GTs for some reason.
    Both kids play the fiddle and my wife plays clawhammer banjo. Does that mean we qualify for discounted band pricing?
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have much input on the bunkhouse types. Ours has 73" bunks - which it sounds like your kids will outgrow quickly.
    what the heck is a clawhammer banjo? My dad, uncles, grandfather, and great grandfather played darn near every stringed instrument around. Never heard of it....
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bob,
    It is a regular banjo. Just a different style of playing it or (playing style).

Cheers,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as it sounds like this I’m down.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_n9prNixjbg

CRE3000, Sumosprings

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as it sounds like this I’m down.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_n9prNixjbg
    Well, sounds more like this: https://youtu.be/BTDUDRIEifQ

My wife plays an open back banjo in clawhammer style like Sarah does in the video. And wife and kids play this song. My wife used to be associate director at a outdoor music venue. We got to hang out several times with the band in the video. Also with Aoife and her band. My daughter aspires to be Aoife v.2 (the blonde guitarist in the video). My wife's voice is very much like Sarah Jarosz. In fact, if I'm in another room and my wife is practicing, I often can't tell the difference except by volume. I'd post a video but my wife might kill me. And I'm the only one that can back the trailer right now, so that would be counterproductive.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast