Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many batteries does a 311bhs have?

Now this is a new one for me. I took the 311BHS to be checked out for this camping season. Since the battery (the one in the black box) I ask them to replace it. Service guys just called and ask if I wanted both batteries replaced. I never thought that there were 2 batteries and where is the second one. I have only charged one battery.

Okay all you 311BHS owners run out to your rig and see if there are 2 batteries.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe that GD ships their trailers with batteries. They are a dealer supplied item. Some dealers include a standard 12 volt, others give you options. I elected to have my dealer install two 6 volt Interstate batteries as the price was very reasonable and I have been running that setup on various trailers for years.

If you have two batteries, they would be right next to each other. Sounds to me like the service guys are confusing you with someone else.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They call for a single, Group 27 battery to be installed.

Even if a second one was installed, it should be right next to the original one in the front compartment.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (1) Grp 27 deep cycle 12v

We paid for the extra one and have been glad we did

Although I am not a fan on how they did the install so I’ll be redoing their crap work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab Patriot bus
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Steve,

After 3 years of ownership, I would think that if a 2nd battery was required I would have found it!

I'm going to the dealership this week and have them show me what they have done. I'm thinking that - since they do have so many 5th wheels in for service and make ready - they had the paperwork for mine and another one mixed up. No big deal, but I'd hate to not have my new battery (and pay for a new one) and the other guy have a new battery that he didn't want or need or pay for.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I thought it was a group 27 deep cycle 12 volt, but when the service guy said it had another battery in the front basement in the back right I just couldn't picture where or how a battery that size could go unseen for 3 years.

Not a big problem, I told them not to do anything until I got there and they could show me the other battery.

Just shows how the service department and techs can be overwhelmed with units to make ready and repair work this time of year. But also brings out the importance of making the service department show you the completed work. You could pay for someone new battery or something else.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 as well, and I agree, they did a crap job on second. I redid it.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well guess what. ExploreUSA Seguin installed a second battery on all 311BHS.

I went down to pick it us yesterday and the service guy showed me where they installed the battery. In the front compartment about 6 inches right of the single battery. It is in a little sunken area and covered by a plastic top. So all this time that I was charging the battery at home and then putting it back into the 311, it was immediately discharging to charge the other battery. I'm surprised that the batteries lasted so long.

Also found out something else that probably everyone knew but me. When you are backing up the trailer if you press on the trailer brake in the truck it will adjust the breaks in the trailer. Reminder just don't do it to much because there is no safety. It will adjust the breaks so much that they will over heat.

Always learning something.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    Well guess what. ExploreUSA Seguin installed a second battery on all 311BHS.

I went down to pick it us yesterday and the service guy showed me where they installed the battery. In the front compartment about 6 inches right of the single battery. It is in a little sunken area and covered by a plastic top. So all this time that I was charging the battery at home and then putting it back into the 311, it was immediately discharging to charge the other battery. I'm surprised that the batteries lasted so long.

Also found out something else that probably everyone knew but me. When you are backing up the trailer if you press on the trailer brake in the truck it will adjust the breaks in the trailer. Reminder just don't do it to much because there is no safety. It will adjust the breaks so much that they will over heat.

Always learning something.

The brakes will not over adjust from applying the brakes too much in reverse. The star wheel only moves 1 click per brake application in reverse. If they ever got adjusted up all the way it would quit turning. I don't think you will ever find brakes adjusted p that are touching the drum after driving a little ways. In fact I believe the brakes on our trailers our forward and reverse adjusting.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/