User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    I decided I wasn't going to mess around with it and bit the bullet on a DRW. While technically not needed with our current 5er, it will be with the next. I went with the 2019 F450 and it is my daily driver - I love the turning radius and the huge breaks. I do avoid going into downtown Nashville with it, but have done so. Car washes are a no-go, and you do need to park further out in the lots, but that is an area I can use more exercise in.
    Awesome good choice! I just got the same truck only a 2020 model and everything you described is absolutely correct, it's an awesome tow rig! enjoy.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last April (one yr. ago) we bought a Solitude (weight 12,650) and kept the same truck which was a SRW. We assume the trailer is about 15,000 pounds ready to travel. With this set up, we had an uncomfortable experience. It only happened a couple times, but it was unsettling each time. As we would navigate a curve or tighter corner, we felt the back of the truck quickly jump a few inches to the outside of the curve. My impression was that the tire was trying to slide off the wheel. That probably wasn't actually happening, but that was the sensation. After driving in that fashion for 10 months we purchased a DRW truck. We are very happy for that purchase. The difference in stability is amazing, DRWs are rock solid. Now, our entire towing experience is enhanced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you can see in our avatar, we opted for the DRW. It is not something we needed to pull our Reflection 150 but it will be needed for our next one. I was actually hoping/pushing for the SRW, particularly for being able to park it in our garage. But now that I've driven the DRW, wouldn't change it. Yes, there are parking issues but the stability we will have towing is worth it. Oh and btw..... it does fit, albeit snugly, in the garage.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we bought our 2017 323BHS we had a GMC 2500 diesel, which handled it with ease. We thought we might upgrade to a toy hauler and found a great deal on a GMC 3500 dually. Never got the toy hauler but pulling the Reflection is a different experience. I’ll stay with the dually no matter what we get. It’s also my daily driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With these fifth wheels getting bigger and nicer they are really pushing the limits of the TV. When i read if people should get a dually or not, i never see people mention the ram mega cab SRW that has over 5k payload. I think this would be a good middle filler for a lot people not wanting a dually. I mean it has 5k+ payload and like 32k towing capacity. Am I missing something?
    2019 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel CC SB SRW, payload 3680
    2018 Rockwood Roo 233
    Next Year - Reflection 340RDS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotime4 View Post
    With these fifth wheels getting bigger and nicer they are really pushing the limits of the TV. When i read if people should get a dually or not, i never see people mention the ram mega cab SRW that has over 5k payload. I think this would be a good middle filler for a lot people not wanting a dually. I mean it has 5k+ payload and like 32k towing capacity. Am I missing something?
    Probably missing a diesel engine if you have that sort of payload on a SRW. Even then, that number seems way to high. MegaCab means short bed which is less than ideal, and SRW is inherently less stable due to the narrower wheel base. If you have a trailer that calls for that level of payload, then the odds are a DRW hands down will make more sense.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Probably missing a diesel engine if you have that sort of payload on a SRW. Even then, that number seems way to high. MegaCab means short bed which is less than ideal, and SRW is inherently less stable due to the narrower wheel base. If you have a trailer that calls for that level of payload, then the odds are a DRW hands down will make more sense.
    you can go to this website and see https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html, they have a 4.10 axle ratio
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 3.13.01 PM.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	26083

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is missing is towing capacity versus the STABILITY that the DRW provides....KLR650 mentioned it in his response....if you've ever had a big boat or rv trailer move the rear end of a 2500 or 3500 SRW around in a corner, at highway speeds, it will make a believer out of you.

Sure your 2500 can negotiate the hill up and down, but that 50 mph curve to the left at the bottom of the hill will make you a believer.
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That means you will have a ~7000# truck trying to control a 15-20k trailer. The heavier truck is a GOOD thing to help maintain control.

I am have grown to be extremely skeptical of website claims for towing and payload. The door sticker from a truck on a dealer lot would be a lot more telling to me.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calnca View Post
    Sure your 2500 can negotiate the hill up and down, but that 50 mph curve to the left at the bottom of the hill will make you a believer.
    That pretty much sums up the whole SRW vs dually debate right there. Great post and so true.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast