User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elevating head of bed

Both my wife and I would like to elevate the head of our king bed some. Not drastic but maybe 8" or so. I am pondering how to perhaps fashion a ramp of sorts to do this.

I would be curious to know if anyone has done this and, if so, how. I know there are some after market devices that can automate the bed but not sure if they would work in our situation.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want it to be fixed at the angle, a simple wedge out of plywood would do. There are flat box, motorized adjustable bases that can be put into a camper. You will need to do some reconstruction and reinforcement of the bed platform, but it is doable.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If just modifying the existing bed, you may need something to restrain the mattress as it may want to slide down hill with that kind of angle.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would build a wedge out of plywood with either 2x6's or 2x8's depending on the angle you want. That way if you get tired of it then you can simply remove it, or change out the 2x's for smaller ones if you decide you want less of an angle. I would also suggest using 3 or 4 4x4 L brackets at the bottom to keep the bed from slipping. Get a can of plasti-dip and dip one side of each bracket to help protect the mattress. Just my suggestion.
    Chuck & Robin, LuLu and Georgie
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2019 2670MK
    5.7 Toyota Tundra TRD with Towing Package
    TRD sway bar & Firestone air bags

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were looking at doing the exact same thing and I was trying to work out the logistics and carpentry angles to accomplish this when I found this...

https://www.amazon.com/Avana-Mattres...8-7&th=1&psc=1

There are a couple different different sizes depending on the angle you want too. We chose the smaller one and dont even notice it anymore.

Its probably more expensive than building your own but it was worth it for me without a proper workshop and ability to construct something myself.

Hopefully I am not breaking any rules by linking to 3rd party sites.

Mike

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once had to build a platform to raise an RV bed at the head. It was quite a project. I used a piece of 3/4 plywood (covered in carpet) and hinges. I manufactured 2 feet to screw to the bottom to keep the mattress in place. Then DW had surgery to correct her problem so I had to reverse the whole thing.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramafic View Post
    We were looking at doing the exact same thing and I was trying to work out the logistics and carpentry angles to accomplish this when I found this...

https://www.amazon.com/Avana-Mattres...8-7&th=1&psc=1

There are a couple different different sizes depending on the angle you want too. We chose the smaller one and dont even notice it anymore.

Its probably more expensive than building your own but it was worth it for me without a proper workshop and ability to construct something myself.

Hopefully I am not breaking any rules by linking to 3rd party sites.

Mike
    This looks like a good option. I am curious how it affects the ability to raise the bed to access the storage area.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have outs on our home mattress but its quite skinny as it gets to the foot of the bed so might still work to get to the under storage but i am afraid i cant answer that exactly.

It was a non sawdust option for me.

mike

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a foam wedge that sits on the bed (lots of different ones available on Amazon). No construction, does not affect access to the area under the bed.
    Works for me.
    Jerry and Gail
    2012 F250 6.2 Pac-Brake bags Blue OX Sway Pro
    2017 Reflection 29RSTS Build Date 17624

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramafic View Post
    We have outs on our home mattress but its quite skinny as it gets to the foot of the bed so might still work to get to the under storage but i am afraid i cant answer that exactly.

It was a non sawdust option for me.

mike
    OK. How heavy is the wedge? We have a mattress plus a 3" memory foam topper so lifting the bed is now a chore. If the wedge adds much weight, it will make lifting the platform more difficult.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast