User Tag List

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free Spare Tire Cover

Not really a story about a spare tire cover more a story about a salesman and dealer.

A little more than a month ago I got a decent e-mail quote from Camperland in Augusta, GA. So the next day I contacted Leo the salesman and went in to look at the 2600rb. Leo turned out to be a pretty kewl guy. Mid 30's, great personality and easy to talk to. While there I was joking with him and generally harassing him. He took it all in good stride. Sometime during that day I told him I wanted a free spare tire cover with his dealership logo on it. He laughed, told me that they didn't have any but they had just ordered some. It would take a few weeks for them to come in. I told I didn't mind he could just box one up and send it to me when they got them in stock. He just lauged and nothing more was said about the spare tire cover.

A little over a week later we went and bought that 2600rb and brought it home, nothing was said about the spare tire cover. Now about three weeks later (today) I get a phone call from Leo, "Do you still want that spare tire cover?" I told him absolutely, I was waiting on him. He then told me "At this dealership when we tell a customer we're going to do something, we do it. I'll have my parts guy send it to you in the mail." It's nice that he remembered that spare tire cover without me having to remind him. Camperland Augusta, GA and Leo the salesman

Of course it probably didn't hurt that I gave Leo a little surprise. We picked the 2600rb up on a Saturday. Leo meet us at the dealerships back gate. We had a really good experience with everything that day (PDI, financing etc..) Right before we drove out of there with our new TT I pulled Leo off to the side and handed him a 12 pack of his favorite beer in a disposible cooler, iced down and ready to go. Well that put a huge smile on his face. I told him it wasn't for what he had done for me so far, it was a bribe for what he might have to do for me in the future. You see 6 months or a year from now I don't want to be vaugly remembered as just another customer he sold a TT to. I want to be remembered as the guy who gave him an iced down 12 pack so he could enjoy a cold, refreshing beverage after he got off work on a Saturday night.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new camper ckreef! I have been in sales for 35 years. Often it is the little things that make a big difference. A 12 pack costs almost nothing but will certainly ensure that he remembers you, which can only help if you need service at some point.

Also, sending you a free spare tire cover costs the dealer almost nothing but sure generated some nice free advertising here.

Hope you make a lot of great memories in your 2600RB!

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN-Mark View Post
    Congrats on the new camper ckreef! I have been in sales for 35 years. Often it is the little things that make a big difference. A 12 pack costs almost nothing but will certainly ensure that he remembers you, which can only help if you need service at some point.

Also, sending you a free spare tire cover costs the dealer almost nothing but sure generated some nice free advertising here.

Hope you make a lot of great memories in your 2600RB!

Mark
    Thank you Mark. Your reply was exactly how I thought about the situation. It's the little things that help build a good working relationship.
    Charles and Susan

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My deal/salesman was a little different. He was an older guy - a little younger than me. I didn't get him anything other than the nice commission he got on the sale. That isn't to say we had a bad experience with him. Not at all - he was a great guy, and it turns out he has a camp in our area (We were in Bath NY dealership but live in PA - about a 3 hour drive). We worked on the deal all day, and we left to make our decision out of 3 units. I called him a week later and let him know which one we wanted. When we went to pick it up, HE made sure everything went smoothly, and helped make some corrections to the paperwork. After the PDI we hooked up and did some test pulls in the parking lot, backing up and so forth (DW made me ). When we were ready to go He was with another customer. I pulled up outside his office and went in to thank him for everything and shook his hand. Not nearly as memorable as a 12 pack, but effective. I do wish I had thought of the 12 pack thing though... Ohh well, he probably won't even bee there for the next rig....
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    My deal/salesman was a little different. He was an older guy - a little younger than me. I didn't get him anything other than the nice commission he got on the sale. That isn't to say we had a bad experience with him. Not at all - he was a great guy, and it turns out he has a camp in our area (We were in Bath NY dealership but live in PA - about a 3 hour drive). We worked on the deal all day, and we left to make our decision out of 3 units. I called him a week later and let him know which one we wanted. When we went to pick it up, HE made sure everything went smoothly, and helped make some corrections to the paperwork. After the PDI we hooked up and did some test pulls in the parking lot, backing up and so forth (DW made me ). When we were ready to go He was with another customer. I pulled up outside his office and went in to thank him for everything and shook his hand. Not nearly as memorable as a 12 pack, but effective. I do wish I had thought of the 12 pack thing though... Ohh well, he probably won't even bee there for the next rig....
    Either way sounds like the two of you had a good working relationship and that's what counts. Give him a call sometime in the future so he doesn't forget you.

There are 2 really nice state parks less than a 1 hour drive from my dealer. We plan on going to one of those soon. When we do we'll spend some time going back to the dealership just to say hi and mess with the salesman. Nope he's not going to forget us anytime soon.
    Charles and Susan

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    Either way sounds like the two of you had a good working relationship and that's what counts. Give him a call sometime in the future so he doesn't forget you.

There are 2 really nice state parks less than a 1 hour drive from my dealer. We plan on going to one of those soon. When we do we'll spend some time going back to the dealership just to say hi and mess with the salesman. Nope he's not going to forget us anytime soon.
    We will be going to the New York Rally this year - in September. That dealership is supposed to have a presence there - rigs and people. If he isn't there the plan is to go to the dealership to see him.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    We will be going to the New York Rally this year - in September. That dealership is supposed to have a presence there - rigs and people. If he isn't there the plan is to go to the dealership to see him.
    Bob and Vicki, We attended that rally last year (first rally ever). It’s small, but popular and growing. Lots of Canadian neighbors. Last year, they pulled in Colton RV for demos, seminars, and repairs, and all those folks were friendly and very helpful. The wagonmaster handed the reins over to her trusted helpers at the close as she and family spent last year selling the house to go FT. It has been well organized, well attended and a lot of fun, so you should have a good time. First night dinner was catered, second was pot-luck. Have a great time
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure Sounds like fun! This will be our first ever Rally too. DW is a little apprehensive about it, people we don't know and all. Doesn't bother me in the least. I'm pretty outgoing by nature. Was last years in Bath? Dinners are the same this year I believe.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a bad looking spare tire cover.

Click image for larger version.