User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold 2118 behavior

So I decided to track the temperature on our Norcold 2118 fridge and freezer and found some odd behavior. To the best of my knowledge, these models don't have a defrost cycle yet the data shows that approx every other day, it seems to go through a warm up cycle. It doesn't get warm enough to do any defrosting though.
    The data also shows that it's cooling cycle is usually quite a bit longer than its resting cycle which is something I have known for a while. We have gone through all the normal checks such as door seals, door flapper, etc. and they are fine.
    This data is all on 110V but results are similar when on propane.
    Norcolds doc doesn't give any indication of what 'normal' operation of these things is supposed to be.
    Bottom line is this thing is a fuel hog regardless of what that fuel is!
    -Rob-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 10.00.48 AM.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	25060
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KamFlyer View Post
    So I decided to track the temperature on our Norcold 2118 fridge and freezer and found some odd behavior. To the best of my knowledge, these models don't have a defrost cycle yet the data shows that approx every other day, it seems to go through a warm up cycle. It doesn't get warm enough to do any defrosting though.
    The data also shows that it's cooling cycle is usually quite a bit longer than its resting cycle which is something I have known for a while. We have gone through all the normal checks such as door seals, door flapper, etc. and they are fine.
    Norcolds doc doesn't give any indication of what 'normal' operation of these things is supposed to be.
    -Rob-

According to my conversations with Norcold a year ago, the 2118 does have a defrost cycle roughly every 48 hours. On mine, it appears to be roughly 42 hours and lets the refrigerator warm up to the upper 40's. Norclod customer service person I spoke to quite literally told me "if it cooling below your outside temperature, it is working fine". He did finally tell me their internal spec was 43 F max temperature (FDA says 40 F is max safe temp ). I am not very pleased (nor happy) with the performance of the 2118.

What are you measuring and recording the data with?

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 02-28-2020 at 12:14 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    What are you measuring and recording the data with?

Chris
    AcuRite Access and remotes. We had it at our S&B and brought it with us when we went full time.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01006...s%2C347&sr=8-5
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AcuRite Access and remotes. We had it at our S&B and brought it with us when we went full time.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01006...s%2C347&sr=8-5
    Thank you. That looks like a handy setup.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -Rob-

Would you mind sharing the data file that produced these graphs? I'd like to review the performance against the 2118 in my rig.
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -Rob-

At 3000 BTU for the burner, I wouldn't hardly consider that number being a fuel hog.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mraplx View Post
    Would you mind sharing the data file that produced these graphs? I'd like to review the performance against the 2118 in my rig.
    I don't have that data set any longer, but will try and get a new one tomorrow.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    At 3000 BTU for the burner, I wouldn't hardly consider that number being a fuel hog.
    Well, when it burns through a 30# propane tank a week for just the fridge, that to me is a fuel hog.

According to Norcold, this model >does< have a defrost cycle that runs approx. every 48 hrs. It doesn't defrost the freezer though. All I can think of is it to defrost any ice on the refridge compartment evap fins.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, when it burns through a 30# propane tank a week for just the fridge, that to me is a fuel hog.

According to Norcold, this model >does< have a defrost cycle that runs approx. every 48 hrs. It doesn't defrost the freezer though. All I can think of is it to defrost any ice on the refridge compartment evap fins.
    A typical 30 lb cylinder of propane contains approx. 7 gallons of propane. Each gallon of propane will provide 91,000 BTUs. The total BTUs in a 30 lb tank is approx 637,000. Divide that number by 3000 BTUs and you get 212.33 hours. That number divided by 24 (hours in a day) would equal 8.84. So if the tank were full of propane, and the refrigerator has continuously and never shut off the entire time, it would take almost 9 days to empty that tank. So does your refrigerator run 24/7?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have that data set any longer, but will try and get a new one tomorrow.
    Here you go.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 8.05.21 AM.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	26827
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast