User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty seasoned. 9th season of full time Rv ing. My advice, do both. Get a TPMS no matter what. It's a great tool to have just for checking morning tire pressure before towing. Having alarms when things get out of spec is pretty important also. Really bad expensive things happen when trailer tires go boom and you don't notice.

Tire debates are always fun. You mentioned Goodyear Endurance, they seen to have a pretty good rep, as do Sailiuns. Me, I love my Goodyear G614's. Pricey. But when the day is done I haven't found any tire that is more robust and stands up to abuse. So I pay the extra bucks. Don't get me wrong, I've blown a couple of them also, but they stood up twice as long as any other tire I have tried.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I am pretty seasoned. 9th season of full time Rv ing. My advice, do both. Get a TPMS no matter what. It's a great tool to have just for checking morning tire pressure before towing. Having alarms when things get out of spec is pretty important also. Really bad expensive things happen when trailer tires go boom and you don't notice.

Tire debates are always fun. You mentioned Goodyear Endurance, they seen to have a pretty good rep, as do Sailiuns. Me, I love my Goodyear G614's. Pricey. But when the day is done I haven't found any tire that is more robust and stands up to abuse. So I pay the extra bucks. Don't get me wrong, I've blown a couple of them also, but they stood up twice as long as any other tire I have tried.
    Oh no debate here .... both Sallions and Goodyear G614's are very good tires, unfortunately I don't believe that they come in my size (ST225/75R15 - Load Rangel E). At that size my tire selection is a tad limited.

I'm leaning towards an EEZ TPMS and I'll replace the valve stems with metal ones.
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 03-03-2020 at 09:21 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would get TPMS; to me this is a must have anytime yours pulling camper. We have 2018 2250RK and have been running Westlake tires without problem but camper does not weight that much - see more failures on forum from heavier campers and 5th wheels. Next year will replace Westlake tires with Goodyear Endurance as camper tires usually never wear out they just go bad with age.
    Have used TireTraker system since 2018 and it has worked good. They have life time warranty. Just had tire sensor go bad on last camping trip and they are sending me another one - my advice is to keep one spare sensor on hand in case one fails.
    http://rvsafety.net/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodyear Endurance and TST TPMS 507 is the only solution .... sorry both ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've decided to replace the tires and to purchase a TPMS. We're not sure which one yet, but it will made in the USA and probably have cap sensors.

I've been reading quite a bit and it seams that most people recommend using metal valve stems. Not remembering what type if have now I went out the trailer in the yard and exposed one tire to see what type of valve stems we have and I was surprised what I found. So I snapped a picture. The end with the cap on it looks metal (brass), but the end that comes through the Rim looks like black plastic or rubber (I can't tell). I never saw valve stems like these. It almost looks like I have tubes inside the tires because the black plastic or rubber doesn't seem to be attached to the rim. They sort of pass through the rim and can be easily moved around. They look nothing like the valve stems on the truck or car that we own.

I'm planning to replace these but has anyone seen this before? Did GD put tubes inside my China bombs

PS: I removed the cap so it didn't block the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Valve Stem.jpg  
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 03-04-2020 at 07:44 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry my error...this posted twice
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 03-04-2020 at 07:45 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    ...has anyone seen this before? Did GD put tubes inside my China bombs
    Those are typical rubber valve stems used extensively. Your tires will not have tubes.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I know nothing of the 15" tire world...

When I first started out in 2011 there weren't many TPMS systems available. I went with Pressure Pro. They use the little round knobs on the end of the stems. The system has worked well for me without the need of a booster, both my 5th wheels have been 40'+.

I kind of wish I could buy the new 2020 ford, I read that it now takes up to 6 trailer monitors. The built in TPMS and backup camera would be the bomb, but not spending thousands to get it.

You will need to work with your tire guys. Metal stems are not the norm. The TPMS dongles will tear the rubber stems, may not happen right away, but it does happen. My first stem replacement the tire guy didn't understand what was needed and put little short stems on. Not enough room on them to put the dongles on and clear the edge of the rim. They will probably have to special order the stems, just plan ahead.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The valve stems are typically replaced whenever the tires are dismounted or changed. The higher pressure (load range E - 80 PSI and above) are metal valve stems. Most 1 tone (350/3500) pick up trucks use Load range E tires, so they are uncommon. If you tire shop does not understand that you are using stem cap TPMS sensors and want metal valve stems, find a different (more informed) tire shop. Note: The base area of a metal valve stem will still be black rubber. This is required to seal to the wheel.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my 337RLS in April 2015 and ran on the Westlake tires for 30,000 km before I changed them because they were getting close to the 5 year mark. I have a TPMS and it saved me once when I picked up a nail in an RV park. I would not go without a TPMS, as you can't tell when you are on the road if your tire has gone flat.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast