User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just replaced my Westlakes today with Sailuns. Probably had 2500 miles on the Westlakes but wanted a better tire in hopes of preventing a blowout.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you said not to tell you to do both, I'll say just do what you want.

Your Westlakes should hold up fine IF you keep them up to proper pressures and check them every time you stop.

Don't bother with a TPMS either, since you apparently don't believe you need it. Just remember, a TPMS is like insurance and brakes, a waste of money until you need them.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    We purchased our first RV in May of 2019, so its not yet a year old. Last season we put over 4000 miles on it without any tire issues, but I watched them like a hawk. Well after reading all of the negative posts about Westlake tires I'm a tad nervous. Especially after reading the post quoted below, where GD claimed the failure rate in "only" 1/2 of a percent!! Well to me, that is an insanely high failure rate! So I need some advice from you more seasoned RVing experts (We're still newbies). I'm considering replacing my Westlake tires with Goodyear Endurance tires or should I keep them and get a TPMS so that I can monitor them better? My Transcend 26RLS trailer has ST225/75R15 E rated tires and its GVWR is 8465 but we currently weigh about 7500 lbs. Please don't suggest both, even if it is the obvious solution.

Your opinions are appreciated!

Thanks
    I purchased a 260RD the last day of October after ordering it a few weeks earlier so we could get the white 2020 Reflection with a different interior vs the dark brown. Part of the deal was that the Westlake tires would be replaced with Goodyear Endurance...same size etc the RV called for. I was not interested in running the Westlake that had a speed limit of 65...which told me it heated up quickly..thus the lower speed. The Endurance is rated for 80 mph..which told me they handled the heat better. Let me say, 70 is my max speed..but knowing they would handle the heat better..it was my only path in the purchase. Even with this change, I still run a TPMS monitor regardless of the tire to watch for leaks or other warning signs, should it occur. Eight years ago I lost a fifth wheel due to tires and a poor bearing packing job.. It was going to take Dexter fourteen weeks to build and get the replacement axle to us..some two thousand miles away from home. We came home with a different RV. So, yes change the tires and run TPMS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote TPMS. In the short-term, it'll give you monitoring of temp and pressure on the tires and add peace-of-mind. It's also probably a little less than a new set of tires.

In the long-term, EVERYONE should be running a TPMS. Mine saved my MOTORHOME twice and my Jeep once. Paid for itself with the first problem and has been "making me money" since. Ironically, when I changed to a 5er and installed it on my truck, it saved me potential disaster when it helped to diagnose a dragging brake caliper on my front of the truck... which then needed to have new rotors installed due to heat cracking.

Get a TPMS, maintain your tires and let the monitor do its job. When the age/wear says to replace, get a new set of tires and drive knowing that even a good brand will blow out if you don't catch a leak or wheel bearing issue (yes, they help catch those too!).

JMHO...

P.S. My personal preference is EezRV TPMS. I'm not affiliated, but I've run theirs for a few years now and I trust it. Its "proactive", because it will actually notify you if it fails to receive updates. Nothing worse than driving along thinking the pressures are good when a sensor has actually stopped sending data. It also catches fast and slow leaks. All 3 of my "problems" were slow leaks and caught the change in pressure before the tire was able to completely deflate or even get hot... which is where tread separation and damage occurs.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Every post I’ve seen online said that when their Westbombs failed there was zero warning so their TPMS was useless.
    The highest rated ones are about $400 so you’re better off just buying good tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replaced my OEM G-Rated Westlakes after approx. 25,000 miles (luckily without incident) at America’s Tire/Discount Tire. I went with: Taskmaster Provider, G-Rated ST235/85R16 132M, Load Index @ 4409# Single, Speed Rating M = 81mph. These were the closest direct spec replacement tires I could find at a reasonable price with a great warranty. (Discount Tire can also be found in most states!)

They mounted & balanced my new tires with no issues & have thus far given me no issues (knock on wood) after more than 5,000 miles. The Westlakes didn’t want to give up their rims though & went down with a fight!

I also have TPMS installed & love them. They add an extra level of safety & awareness so I would recommend them on any tire you choose. Good luck! -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    Since you said not to tell you to do both, I'll say just do what you want.

Your Westlakes should hold up fine IF you keep them up to proper pressures and check them every time you stop.

Don't bother with a TPMS either, since you apparently don't believe you need it. Just remember, a TPMS is like insurance and brakes, a waste of money until you need them.
    Regardess whether you decide to get new tires or not, a TPMS system is a safety system well worth having. As to Westlakes they are not as bad as the internet would have you believe as long as you follow the basic safety checks, airing up to proper inflation, have the correct load range for the total weight of the trailer and keep your speed down to at or under the rated speed rating all of which you should do with any tire. Westlakes are not the best tire on the market, but not the worse either, more like mid range. We have over 7K trouble free miles on our G rated Westlakes and the only I will be replacing ours this spring, is because we are headed to Alaska and we are full time travelers, otherwise I would wit until the 5-year mark or worn tread .Any tire rated for a lower load capacity, not properly inflated or frequently driven over the rated speed of the tire is subject to failure. Often Endurance tires are recommended and they are a very good tire, but a word of caution, if I recall correctly Endurance highest load rating is E. If that is correct and you put them on a trailer weighing more than they are rated to handle and you run the risk of a failure.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westlake Tires

We purchased our first RV in May of 2019, so its not yet a year old. Last season we put over 4000 miles on it without any tire issues, but I watched them like a hawk. Well after reading all of the negative posts about Westlake tires I'm a tad nervous. Especially after reading the post quoted below, where GD claimed the failure rate in "only" 1/2 of a percent!! Well to me, that is an insanely high failure rate! So I need some advice from you more seasoned RVing experts (We're still newbies). I'm considering replacing my Westlake tires with Goodyear Endurance tires or should I keep them and get a TPMS so that I can monitor them better? My Transcend 26RLS trailer has ST225/75R15 E rated tires and its GVWR is 8465 but we currently weigh about 7500 lbs. Please don't suggest both, even if it is the obvious solution.

Thanks
    I had a TPMS system right up until the minute one of my Westlake tires blew. Tread separated completely from the tire. Only had about 8000 miles on my 2018 rig. I replaced them all after all the negative reports online and discussing it with my RV dealer.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who knows but...

Thanks
    Brought our 3000bh home and made the decision of replacing all the Westlake. Saw too many comments about tire separation on this and other forums. Decided 780 for new tires, goodyears, was cheap insurance. Damage to trailer can get real expensive quick. Other trailer had 80,000 miles and think we replaced three times. You just never know but I haul more comfortably now. Thats my opinion and my decision. Good luck
    2013 Chevy 2500 Silverado Diesel
    2020 3000QB
    Glen,Barbara and
    Dottie O'Doran the Wonder Dog

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought an update is in order. Last Thursday I ordered 4 new tires (Goodyear Endurance) and a Eez-RV TPMS for our trailer. Replacing our Westlake tires with only 4000 miles on them was a bitter pill to swallow, but its done! Well, it will be done when the local tire shop gets the tires in. I'm keeping the Westlake spare tire for now and I hope I don't regret it.

Thanks for all of your inputs! They were very helpful.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast