User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I failed to immediately replace Westlakes on my 2019 285BHTS, and a month ago I had 3-4k miles on the trailer when the tread separated on one on the way to Disney. Tires were 80 psi cold, I was checking tread temp with a laser every stop, the trailer is stored on concrete, under an RV carport, with tire covers and I had the tires off the trailer/visibly inspected them two weeks before the trip. I guess going 65 mph on a 67 mph speed rated tire was too much. So we spent our time at Ft Wilderness climbing into/out of the trailer like a hobo jumping into a box car because the stairs were bent up. $4k in body work later I will be putting on 4 new Goodyear Endurance 2 miles down the road from the body shop. Tire that tread separated from is still full of air currently riding in the spare’s position. Be advised Westlake’s “No Excuse” guarantee excuses consequential damages, so we’ll let the insurance company have at them. Disappointing is an understatement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We returned earlier this month from South TX in our 2017 Reflection and had 3 blow outs over 3 days with the Westlake tires. I have a TPMS and I also checked the pressure with a good gauge every morning before leaving camp. They didn't just go flat, they blew up. The second one wrapped around the axle and I like to never got it unwrapped. The third one took a chunk out of the fender and the fender brace. The tires still had plenty of tread and had about 6,000 miles on them. Next problem was trying to buy tires during the shut down. Some tire stores wouldn't even open the door yelling out they "Do Not" do RV tires? One tire store waved us away as we were pulling into their parking lot (in Louisiana). I bought 1 Endurance in TX and 1 off brand Chinese tire in MS. Since the last blow out occurred 5 miles from home I just put the spare on and went home. I'm now shopping for 4 new Endurance tires. I will never never trust Westlake again.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Discount tires. I have used discount tires for over ten years, probably 15. They only once had to order and paid attention to my request for fresh tires. Goodyears on three different trailers and michilenes on all tow vehicles. They are widely available and have rotated in texas, utah, Florida and Colorado. Never a problem. I'm happy with them. Just my experience.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I need advice should I replace my Westlake tires or get a TPMS?

Quote Originally Posted by Hakker View Post
    We returned earlier this month from South TX in our 2017 Reflection and had 3 blow outs over 3 days with the Westlake tires. I have a TPMS and I also checked the pressure with a good gauge every morning before leaving camp. They didn't just go flat, they blew up. The second one wrapped around the axle and I like to never got it unwrapped. The third one took a chunk out of the fender and the fender brace. The tires still had plenty of tread and had about 6,000 miles on them. Next problem was trying to buy tires during the shut down. Some tire stores wouldn't even open the door yelling out they "Do Not" do RV tires? One tire store waved us away as we were pulling into their parking lot (in Louisiana). I bought 1 Endurance in TX and 1 off brand Chinese tire in MS. Since the last blow out occurred 5 miles from home I just put the spare on and went home. I'm now shopping for 4 new Endurance tires. I will never never trust Westlake again.
    Yep.
    The odds of a blowout drop significantly if you have better tires, keep them at the proper pressure, AND don’t overload them.
    When those Westlakes go they just GO!
    TPMS is only good for slow leaks, so not worth the hassle and expense for me.
    I had Goodyears installed as soon as we got our Reflection. I’ve scaled our trailer several times and each tire is actually carrying 900 lbs under the capacity of the tire, so our trailer is almost two full tons UNDER the tire capacity.
    I check the pressure before a trip using a $5 gauge and have never used TPMS.
    I’ve had one blowout in my life so the odds of me investing $300-$400 in a decent TPMS is unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 04-26-2020 at 12:15 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this is my 2 cents . 2016 303 RLS been from VA to Alaska and back on Goodyear Endurance tires. About half wat through the trip I had to put on my spare tire. Yes it was a Westlake, but was also running 3 Goodyear Endurance 2225/85/15. As of right now the spare is still on I estimate I ran about 5000 miles on the spare with no problems. I do have a TPMS and it worked like a champ..
    John & Joan
    w/Dakota & Cooper
    Tidewater VA
    2016 303 RLS (#7608) Build 3/16
    Dodge 2004.5 S/B
    B & W Companion Slider Hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have made a number of trips to Florid over the years. One of the trips a couple of years ago we had a tire develop a small leak. With out the tire pressure monitors we could have been in trouble. After that trip I changed the tires to the Goodyear Endurance and also installed them on a couple of other trailers. I attached a link to the last TPM that I purchased. It is designed to work with the higher pressure G tires. Also I don't fill the tires to the maximum pressure. Normally 5 to 10 LB under, when on the road with the tire heat they build up the above the max pressure.Ed
    https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/l...l_create_title

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should never run you tires under the rated tire pressure. Tire Mfgs have already figured in the heat rise in the tire. I keep my Good Year Endurances at 80PSI.
    John & Joan
    w/Dakota & Cooper
    Tidewater VA
    2016 303 RLS (#7608) Build 3/16
    Dodge 2004.5 S/B
    B & W Companion Slider Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumpster View Post
    You should never run you tires under the rated tire pressure.
    Tire Mfgs have already figured in the heat rise in the tire. I keep my Good Year Endurances at 80PSI.
    Exactly!

---------------------------
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 04-26-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eleosky View Post
    We have made a number of trips to Florida over the years.
    One of the trips a couple of years ago we had a tire develop a small leak.
    Without the tire pressure monitors we could have been in trouble.
    After that trip I changed the tires to the Goodyear Endurance and also installed them on a couple of other trailers.
    I attached a link to the last TPMS that I purchased. It is designed to work with the higher pressure G tires.

Also I don't fill the tires to the maximum pressure.
    Normally 5 to 10 LB under,
    when on the road with the tire heat they build up the above the max pressure.Ed
    https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/l...l_create_title
    Oh Geez. No! You shouldn't do that.
    Your tires are at far more risk of exploding from being under-inflated!
    The manufacturers factor in the rise in temps from traveling.
    Please do yourself a favor and do some research.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumpster View Post
    You should never run you tires under the rated tire pressure. Tire Mfgs have already figured in the heat rise in the tire. I keep my Good Year Endurances at 80PSI.
    A lot of people including some very knowledgeable tire industry veterans would disagree that you should always run your tires at the maximum rated pressure. Instead they recommend that tire pressures should be based upon the load and inflated to the pressures recommended in Goodyear's load charts for the Endurance tires. Here is a link to a thread I started with the load chart and questions about using this chart and the responses. You can also do a search and get more opinions on this. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-E-rated-tires
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast