Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet Fence

Site Sponsor The_Traveling_Neelys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pet Fence

When we are at campgrounds, we see several kinds a pet fences used to contain their dogs. I've looked and found a company that charges $999 for a RV pet fence. I know I can get it done cheaper, but don't know how.

I am looking at something lightweight with a gate that can contain our 40lb beagle. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Truck: 2012 Ram 3500
    5er: 2018 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many several options on Chewey.com and in pet stores for a lot less $. I would shy away from any that require securing to the ground via stakes, as many campgrounds do not allow stakes to be set because of utility lines, unless you are a boondocker. For our 2-dogs we hook rope leads I made up to stationary objects, even less $ any easy to pack and store.
    Last edited by BB&LAB; 03-01-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also depends on how much your dog likes to challenge a fence. Our little dog never tries to push against or jump over a fence. So the cheap folding pet fences would work well for us. But because she is so non-aggressive we don't bother with fences. We clip her collar/leash to a camping chair. She jumps up in the chair and is quite satisfied. Also look at the campground rules, some places don't allow pet fences.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our little guy is trained to a harness and lead, so we do the same at the campsite. I have tie-offs mounted to the camper frame. Nonetheless, that is not your question but I can answer that there are a ton of less expensive, collapsible pet pens out there for RVers. Can make them DIY too with 1x, critter wire, and hinges. For an active pup, you can reinforce them by driving rebar into the ground to firm things up. You can pull the rebar with the help of a pair of pipe wrenches.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Our little guy is trained to a harness and lead, so we do the same at the campsite. I have tie-offs mounted to the camper frame. Nonetheless, that is not your question but I can answer that there are a ton of less expensive, collapsible pet pens out there for RVers. Can make them DIY too with 1x, critter wire, and hinges. For an active pup, you can reinforce them by driving rebar into the ground to firm things up. You can pull the rebar with the help of a pair of pipe wrenches.
    Driving rebar into the ground is not a reliable solution because many campgrounds because of shallow utilities do not allow, or at a minimum frown on driving stakes and such into the ground.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    Driving rebar into the ground is not a reliable solution because many campgrounds because of shallow utilities do not allow, or at a minimum frown on driving stakes and such into the ground.
    WoW! I personally have never encountered such a restriction. What are folks anchoring their EZ-ups and tents with? I have been using ground screws for at least 15 years. Code requires particular burial depths, but I can see your point with private campgrounds that may not be inline with Code.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WoW! I personally have never encountered such a restriction. What are folks anchoring their EZ-ups and tents with? I have been using ground screws for at least 15 years. Code requires particular burial depths, but I can see your point with private campgrounds that may not be inline with Code.
    Except for specified areas within campgrounds, most of the campgrounds we've been in do not allow tents, stakes, E-Z ups, anything that's staked to the ground in the RV areas. I think it's more to do with there's often not that much space in any given site, and if everyone wanted to put up something that requires staking in the ground, they would always be in the same spots, damaging the grass/landscaping.

Unlike boondocking where people are not not necessarily in the same place all the time.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 03-01-2020 at 07:02 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased our pet fence at Petsmart. It comes in sections and is approximately 28" high. I have 3 sections of it that join together with clips. It will surround the majority of our roll out mat. I believe it was less than 40.00 per section back when I bought it.
    Chuck & Robin, LuLu and Georgie
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2019 2670MK
    5.7 Toyota Tundra TRD with Towing Package
    TRD sway bar & Firestone air bags

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe this is a geographical difference. Even a private campground would have to follow code for buried electrical. We’re just used to the 4’ code (with sand bed) just to get it below frostline. Most CGs in the Northeast don’t even comment on staking, as it’s pretty routine in CGs. I imagine that includes Ohio. These are interesting things to think about when traveling in different regions of the country, though.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Site Sponsor The_Traveling_Neelys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The picture below is what I am thinking. I looked at Chewy.com and PetSmart for the gates you all suggested. Just trying to figure out how it will work for us.

@cforman61 I think I want it to go around our mat also... great idea!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dogpen.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	25124
    Truck: 2012 Ram 3500
    5er: 2018 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast