User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unhitching/Hitching and leveling is really simple for units with auto level; less than 30 minutes to unhitch and level, and that is taking your time. Quick overnight stops are no big deal. Cardinal rule when hitching and unhitching; chocks in place before un-hitching and stay in place until hitched.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome soon to retirement.
    Now is the time to soul search what you want to do with the rest of your life. My wife and I wrote lists of where we wanted to go and what was important to us inside our traveling home. Things like staying in forest or national parks, boon docking in the middle of no where, rv resort living. Did we want all comforts of a house? All of this is interrelated. It may take a few units before you find “the best one” for you.
    We decided staying in NP and forest camping was important, that meant we were limited on length of RV. WE wanted to boon dock, so we got a small generator to charge batteries. We wanted living room space, so we chose a unit without an island kitchen but had double slides.
    We settled on a unit and I found one used, few milesand bought it last May at a considerable savings over new. Good luck, enjoy your time looking.
    PS. I had a friend tell me a quote for purchasing. “Sleeps 2, dinner for 4, cocktails for 6”.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post

As for what is accessible at rest stops - it depends on the model. Almost all give you access to the bathroom. Many give you access to the fridge. Some give you access to the pantry. ...
    We've got the rig that has no access to the bathroom or fridge without putting the slides out. Only thing we can access without putting slides at least partway out is 1/2 of the recliner sofa and the cabinets above it.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyGaaDo View Post
    5. And of course - Going down that road of search for adequate tow vehicle & hitch! Ford F350 4x4 SRW is my target. Suggestions on what I should be looking for as far as any additions that the tow vehicle should include???
    We have the F-350 SRW 4X4 that you’re considering, and the smallest of the trailers that you are considering (the 310GK).

We do not load the trailer very heavily - I believe less than average amount of “stuff” and rarely carry water or sewage with us.

IMO our truck is JUST enough to haul this trailer around. Better than my opinion, some people here (@CoChris is one) have carefully weighed and analyzed the F350/310GK combination and determined that they are, in fact, running close to the limits. It would NOT be a good idea to get one of the bigger models you’re considering and tow it with the truck you’re considering.

I let a Ford salesperson talk me OUT of the F-450 I went in to buy. Towing a slightly-lighter Reflection around mostly-flat Florida in our first year I felt pretty good about the choice. Couple years later with the bigger/heavier Solitude and some wider travel experience I wish I hadn’t listened to him. At LEAST get the DRW 350, but my strong advice is to spend the small additional money on a F-450, especially if buying new. The new ones have the several advantages that those up to 2109 have, plus they have a slightly-stronger motor and a ten-speed transmission... tower’s dream, and you’ll never find yourself wanting more truck as I often do.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can get behind a heavier truck any day of the week, but you must be careful to understand the total cost of ownership. In several States, you will get rocked back on your heels for fees for the 450/4500 versus a 350/3500.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Dealer Stock" is just that, what the dealer has in stock at that time. The buyer for our closest dealer only had the "Java?" (dark interior) in every 390RK-R on the lot (7 units between two dealerships). When asked why, the answer was that the linen interior doesn't sell. In deeper discussion, the salesman could only remember one and that wasn't a -R model. Two weeks ago, they only had one 390 on the lot in Java. Then the question became "what happened to the linen models you had for sale"? Seems that they are on the lot just over a month and get sold. Ordering dealer stock is an inexact science. Somethings may better in one region than another and options will vary. I look at logical progressions. I don't understand the process of ordering a higher end unit with gen prep and no generator. To me it's either / or. If you want a gen, gen prep has absolutely no value if the dealership isn't willing to do an install at purchase. We were very lucky that the next closest dealership had recently acquired a tech from Cummins / Onan in Charlotte and they did a ground up install (perfectly).

Dealer stock is usually what one person decides that it is.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So .... Comfort level moving from a "A Class" no slide to a S Solitude or Solitude will have your eyes wide open ... opposing sides are a great thing ... most questions have been covered I will comment on truck .... just my opinion ... a 2020 F350 SRW with 12500 GVWR will handle a S Class 2930 RL and a Solitude 310 GK without issue they are both max GVWR of 15000 lbs ... that is my cut off for SRW 3500 ... I pull my 2930 with a Ram 2019 SRW GVWR of 12300 and I am well within all capacities but we do not have a washer/dryer and Generator if you add these 3 would be nest to move up to DRW and I suggest any truck for towing to be 8' long bed ... later Frank
    Last edited by frank4711; 03-04-2020 at 03:40 AM.
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
    I suggest any truck for towing to be 8' long bed ... later Frank
    Thanks for the reply Frank! - What is the reason for suggesting the 8' bed? Didn't I see different hitches used to accommodate the short beds?

Could someone explain exactly what Truck & Trailer spec numbers I should be looking at to determine if the combo is adequate?
    GD Wannabe!
    RV Lover - Old Class "A" Owner
    Hack Artist - ScottyGaaDo.com
    ON THE BRINK OF RETIREMENT!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyGaaDo View Post
    Thanks for the reply Frank! - What is the reason for suggesting the 8' bed? Didn't I see different hitches used to accommodate the short beds?

Could someone explain exactly what Truck & Trailer spec numbers I should be looking at to determine if the combo is adequate?
    Long bed will be more stable towing and offer clearance when turning so nose of 5ver does not impact truck cab when turning ... many tow with shorter bed trucks and a slider hitch or Anderson it is your choice ... weights are easy GVWR for truck is determined by manufacturer and will determine how many lbs you can carry ... axle rating are the next weight you need to stay under .... published payload on the door sticker is a starting point but only a trip to the Cat Scales will determine your actual weights ... here are my weights on a simple app that shows the key capacities not to exceed ... to use it you need a weight of your truck loaded and ready to camp and then a weight hitch to camper also loaded ready to camp take a look here http://www.towingplanner.com/ActualW...5280&w2da=3040 ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I can get behind a heavier truck any day of the week, but you must be careful to understand the total cost of ownership. In several States, you will get rocked back on your heels for fees for the 450/4500 versus a 350/3500.
    Thanks Rob, I didn't know this. Not an issue for me in Ontario, Canada. I'll add the information to future advice.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast