User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyGaaDo View Post
    Thanks for the reply Frank! - What is the reason for suggesting the 8' bed? Didn't I see different hitches used to accommodate the short beds?
    To expand on @frank4711's advice, our F-350 is an SRW short bed and we therefore pretty much had to have an auto-sliding hitch for it. There are people who use a short bed to tow - very carefully - without a sliding hitch but I felt that the risk of a brain-fart in a busy gas station or tight campground was too high for me; I did not want to absent-mindedly crush my truck's cab.

The auto-slider we got (Pullrite Superglide 18K) has done its job at preventing that problem, but it has some heavy costs. First, the high cost to buy it. Second, it's heavy (225 pounds plus frame, so over 300 pounds in the truck all the time unless you have a lift or strong friends to help you put it in and take it out). Third, it's a filthy monster of a thing that occupies much of the bed of the truck, all the time. Fourth, it's twitchy to hook up and unhook at times, especially when truck and trailer are not the same plane together.

If you take the advice here to get at least the DRW 350 it will have the long box, you'll have many more choices for hitches that are lighter, cheaper, and more-easily removed from your truck when you don't need a hitch. I wish I'd gotten that advice when I was starting out.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark offers good advice from experience ... that is exactly were I have been having bought wrong truck when learning the hard way what we wanted and how we would do it ... Get enough truck the first time you will never say I wish I had a smaller truck!! .... lots of good advice ... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply Frank! - What is the reason for suggesting the 8' bed? Didn't I see different hitches used to accommodate the short beds?

Could someone explain exactly what Truck & Trailer spec numbers I should be looking at to determine if the combo is adequate?
    For the 2020 Ford SRW only the Long bed, crew cab model has the higher, 12,400# GVWR (and hence higher payload rating). The Super Crew long bed is 11,800# for 2020 and the other models (including all short bed Super Duty) are 11,500#. The long bed crew cab also gets you the larger 48 gallon fuel tank. Very nice to have.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some states require a special RV drivers license.
    https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...-requirements/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My several years old now F-350 is SRW, Long Bed and 11,500# rated. It pulls our 303 with ease and is a very stable setup.

We have the B&W Companion hitch that goes into the factory 5th wheel prep and it is easily removed by one person (me) as it breaks down in two pieces that together are only 165 lbs.

As others have said, the 8 foot bed is a good idea. It was a mandatory requirement for me. On the other hand, the turning radius leaves MUCH to be desired.

There are always trade-offs in truck purchases but we are quite happy with ours. We picked out the trailer we wanted and bought the truck to suit it before getting rid of our previous tow behind 3 years later.

The access to frig, bathroom and bedroom without sliding out was also a requirement for us and we do not regret it.
    Bruce and Lynn - South Central PA
    2016 F-350 Lariat Crew - 6.7L PS, 4WD, SRW, LWB
    B & W Companion
    2019 Relection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions

Hi Guys!
    Posted this in the welcome section >
    Sooo glad I found this forum!
    Our background...
    (I RV'd since a kid with my parents) Wife & I spent two nights in a tent many moons ago & she said "that's enough of that"! Moved on to little class "C" for a couple summers. Fun, but with only overhead bunk for bed she said "that's enough of that"!, Have had a 2000 30' no-slide Class "A"ever since.
    Now heading towards retirement and looking to upgrade the rig for longer travel and extended stays.
    Hope to be able to travel while working my side biz remotely. Would like to escape tomorrow, but hopefully at least within a year or two!
    Super "C" was my dream! - But made the mistake of researching 5th wheels and taking the wife to the RV show to check them out!
    Seems like the bang-for-buck/living space (even with a new truck to tow) is impressive compared to newer MH.
    Now trying to decide on which type of travel we'd like - Truck & Fiver or MH & Toad.
    Research brought Grand Design to the top of my fiver list. So get ready for all my questions!

So I'm pretty impressed with what I've read on the Solitude's!
    From my online research so far I'm liking the 310GK, 2930RL, 3350RL, & 384GK floorplans shown in the 2020 models.
    My first (of many) questions:
    1. What is the difference between the Solitude & Solitude S-class?
    2. What is the "-R" designation signify?
    3. What are the models listed as "dealer stock"?
    3. Do 2018, 2019 models pretty much match the 2020 floorplans? Any big advantages/disadvantages in models a couple years old?
    4. Reflection vs Solitude models? I assume the Reflection is more of an entry level?
    5. And of course - Going down that road of search for adequate tow vehicle & hitch! Ford F350 4x4 SRW is my target. Suggestions on what I should be looking for as far as any additions that the tow vehicle should include???

Welp, that's a start! As you can probably tell I'll be driving you guys crazy!
    Any Replies/Suggestions/Tips greatly appreciated!!!

R stands fir Residential Refrigerator

Reflection is a step down from Solitudes, solitudes are wider and taller, hardwood island panels vs luwan

Any dealer can stock what you currently have listed

Have Solitude 310 on order, trading in 2019 Reflection 303 Rls, reason being much bigger bedroom and bath con figuration

Item towing with 3/4 ton, Duramax diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the 310, you can get to, fridge, bath and bedroom with out opening it up

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Callahan View Post
    In the 310, you can get to, fridge, bath and bedroom with out opening it up
    ... which is everything you need to stay at everyone's favorite overnight spot, Cracker Barrel. Eleven dollars for a big southern fried chicken dinner and a place to park for the night is a Very Good Thing. Two nights there last week!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123