User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grand Design / 5r Newbie looking to learn!!!

Hi Guys!
    Posted this in the welcome section >
    Sooo glad I found this forum!
    Our background...
    (I RV'd since a kid with my parents) Wife & I spent two nights in a tent many moons ago & she said "that's enough of that"! Moved on to little class "C" for a couple summers. Fun, but with only overhead bunk for bed she said "that's enough of that"!, Have had a 2000 30' no-slide Class "A"ever since.
    Now heading towards retirement and looking to upgrade the rig for longer travel and extended stays.
    Hope to be able to travel while working my side biz remotely. Would like to escape tomorrow, but hopefully at least within a year or two!
    Super "C" was my dream! - But made the mistake of researching 5th wheels and taking the wife to the RV show to check them out!
    Seems like the bang-for-buck/living space (even with a new truck to tow) is impressive compared to newer MH.
    Now trying to decide on which type of travel we'd like - Truck & Fiver or MH & Toad.
    Research brought Grand Design to the top of my fiver list. So get ready for all my questions!

So I'm pretty impressed with what I've read on the Solitude's!
    From my online research so far I'm liking the 310GK, 2930RL, 3350RL, & 384GK floorplans shown in the 2020 models.
    My first (of many) questions:
    1. What is the difference between the Solitude & Solitude S-class?
    2. What is the "-R" designation signify?
    3. What are the models listed as "dealer stock"?
    3. Do 2018, 2019 models pretty much match the 2020 floorplans? Any big advantages/disadvantages in models a couple years old?
    4. Reflection vs Solitude models? I assume the Reflection is more of an entry level?
    5. And of course - Going down that road of search for adequate tow vehicle & hitch! Ford F350 4x4 SRW is my target. Suggestions on what I should be looking for as far as any additions that the tow vehicle should include???

Welp, that's a start! As you can probably tell I'll be driving you guys crazy!
    Any Replies/Suggestions/Tips greatly appreciated!!!
    GD Wannabe!
    RV Lover - Old Class "A" Owner
    Hack Artist - ScottyGaaDo.com
    ON THE BRINK OF RETIREMENT!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyGaaDo View Post
    2. What is the "-R" designation signify?
    3. What are the models listed as "dealer stock"?
    3. Do 2018, 2019 models pretty much match the 2020 floorplans? Any big advantages/disadvantages in models a couple years old?
    4. Reflection vs Solitude models? I assume the Reflection is more of an entry level?

Welp, that's a start! As you can probably tell I'll be driving you guys crazy!
    Any Replies/Suggestions/Tips greatly appreciated!!![/B]
    2. The rig has residential refrigerator.
    3. Those are the stock a dealer has on hand that are no longer being produced.
    4. Certainly no problem with an older model, if it's got the layout you want. Generally, layouts don't change that much within a model type. I believe the Reflection is more an "entry level". But many of us have them and have no plans to "move up".
    Last edited by livinthelife; 03-01-2020 at 12:17 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Solitude has hydraulic leveling and slides while the S-Class is electric. I prefer the latter. Minor suspension difference like MOR/ryde equalizers on the Solitude versus Lippert Equa-Flex. Pin boxes are different between the two (was no matter to us since I was going Goosebox conversion). Solitude has frameless windows while the S-Class are standard. The gel coat on the Solitude is high gloss while the S-Class is more akin to semi-gloss. Solitude can be ordered with some options not available on the S-Class like the remote/app control system.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies so far!
    Would love to hear people's normal hitching/unhitching process! That's something I'm not use to with the "A" (I'm sure hook-ups are basically the same?)

Also, some info on traveling...
    It appears that you need to be pretty well packed before closing things up.
    When making a rest stop it appears nothing but maybe the bathroom is really accessible?
    Is it possible to say put one slide out for a lunch stop, or do they all need to go out like when you set-up?
    It looks like a big difference between the 5r & an "A" would be that they're really not usable for the quick stops, WallyWorld overnight, type travel?
    GD Wannabe!

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When making a rest stop it appears nothing but maybe the bathroom is really accessible?
    Is it possible to say put one slide out for a lunch stop, or do they all need to go out like when you set-up?
    It looks like a big difference between the 5r & an "A" would be that they're really not usable for the quick stops, WallyWorld overnight, type travel?
    It's all about floorplan and how you pack it. In our 303 we can access the fridge, bathroom and bed while on the road. When looking to upgrade only a small handfull had the some of the on the road access, part of the reason we have stayed in our 303. The discontinued 3350 came the closest to what we want.

To us on the road access without opening slides is important . Rear lounges (RL) have the best on the road access. We on rare occasion have opened the dining slide in a rest area, depends on how/where we are parked.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to hear people's normal hitching/unhitching process! That's something I'm not use to with the "A" (I'm sure hook-ups are basically the same?)

Also, some info on traveling...
    It appears that you need to be pretty well packed before closing things up.
    I would recommend YouTube for videos on hitching and unhitching. It's very easy- especially if you have your spouse helping but you need to be very methodical. Take your time and think each step through. Don't hitch or unhitch if you have a camp site neighbor talking to you.

As for what is accessible at rest stops - it depends on the model. Almost all give you access to the bathroom. Many give you access to the fridge. Some give you access to the pantry. Yes, you can put just one slide out. With hydraulic slides, you'll need to turn the bypass valve in the curb side propane tank compartment in order to use one main slide at a time (if you have opposing slides).

As long as you're parked on level ground, there is no reason you can't do a quick overnight stop. There is no need to unhitch the truck and you can run the slides out individually if you want.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are dead set on SRW truck (doesn't matter which brand) I would advice you to keep the gross trailer weight to 14k or less. 14 to 16K you will be border line with a SRW or over you payload weight. Anything over 16K I would only recommend a dually.

Solitudes are generally on the heavy side as 5th wheels go. If you are truly concerned about weight (using a SRW truck) you should also expand you search to include the Reflection models. Yes, less bells and whistles, but generally lighter units. The build quality is the same as the Solitude.

FYI: I have had people try to tell me our Momentum was the top of the line over the Solitude. After viewing many different models and also taking the factory tour, the only thing our Momentum has over the Solitudes is the size of the chunk of money it takes out of your wallet.

Good luck with you choice. I don't think you will go wrong with any model. Just make sure you are happy with the one you (meaning your wife) choose.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I would recommend YouTube for videos on hitching and unhitching.
    Duh! - Why didn't I think of that? YT has just about everything!

Another question - Am I missing something? Do most 5th Wheels come without on-board Genny's?
    GD Wannabe!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^Toy Haulers usually come with generators. Usually an option on other 5th wheels.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Do most 5th Wheels come without on-board Genny's?
    Generators are an option on higher end 5th wheels.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast