User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverter install from the converter

I spent over an hour looking through other posts, but couldn’t find one that answered my specific question. So hoping someone can help!

I have a 2018 Imagine 2150RB and looking to install an inverter. The dealer suggested pulling 12v from the converter panel. I was hoping to run the wire from the converter up through the entertainment center and have the inverter installed in the upper storage area behind the entertainment center. There are empty slots in the converter panel.

Is this something that is recommended? If so, what size fuse would be needed? I’m installing a Xantrex 806-1210 PROwatt 1000 SW Inverter.

I’d be using it mostly to power the tv, a mifi device and maybe a laptop. I wouldn’t be running the microwave or any power hungry device like that.

My second option is to put it in the front storage compartment and plug the 30 amp cord into the inverter to light up all the outlets. I’d make sure to not use the converter while doing this.

I’ve also purchased two 6v golf cart batteries.

Appreciate any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
    2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 5.7L Hemi with 3.92 Gears

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On my inverter, the documentation/installation manual specified the wire size and the fuse needed for installation.

Jim

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say 2nd option is probably better.
    For the 1000W, Xantex's Owner's Guide recommends no more than 6' wire between batteries and inverter, large size wire 0 Awg, a 150A ANL type DC fuse between them.

It's because the inverter requires much more DC amps at 12V to convert to the smaller amps at 120VAC.
    Devices requiring 180VA (watts) of power (1.5 Amps at 120VAC) would have the inverter drawing about 18 Amps DC.
    And there's more voltage drop in the wire with DC amps than AC amps, so a longer DC cable will drop the voltage available to the inverter's input.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info! It’s all over my head, but I’ll pass the info on to the friend that was helping me with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
    2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 5.7L Hemi with 3.92 Gears