User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PiperDi

Hallway Cabinet Door Fix

Some Grand Design owners have come to refer to that upper cabinet door in the hallway as "the death door." You all know why--how many times have you left it open only to turn around, go up the hall stairs, and bang your noggin? We've hurt ourselves so many times (just CAN'T remember to close that door) we decided a fix was in order.

Jerry threatened to rip off that door so many times! But we decided that wouldn't look too nice. We toyed with the idea of some kind of spring to automatically close it. (The door will already close itself if it is only partway open, as will the kitchen cabinet doors. But we always have the door all the way open to get at the switches and circuit breakers and it won't close in that position.) Regular screen door closers are way too big. But, lo and behold! We ran across a small door closer in Home Depot! It was designed to work with a regular door flush to the wall, and since this is a cabinet door raised above the wall, we needed some modification. Jerry installed a block of wood on the wall so when the door closer was installed it was flush with the door as it is supposed to be. It wasn't without some trial and error, but the end result is that the door will not remain open and will close on it's own! Yes, you need to hold it open while you are turning a switch on or off or while you are operating the slide switches, but, hey! We love it! We just stained the block of wood to match the wall and it looks nice, we think. For those of you who can see pictures on this forum, I have attached a couple of pictures showing what we did. If you do not subscribe to the forum and can't see the pictures but would like to see them, just e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll be glad to send them to you.

Just thought this might help someone else who is wondering what the heck to do with that door! Hopefully, Grand Design can do something better with that door in the future.

Diane Lewis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cabinet Door 1a.jpg   Cabinet Door 2a.jpg  

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you, thank you, thank you - And in case I didn't say it loud enough THANK YOU! The "Death Door" is very appropriately named. Ginnie and I have both banged our noggin so many times because of this design. This looks like the perfect fix. I just ordered one. If anyone else wants the info:

Manufacturer - Prime-Line
    Model Number: KC17HD (Brown)
    Home Depot: SKU 492238, Price $12.98
    Also available on Amazon: $12.98 (Prime vendors), $8.99 (Non Prime vendors)

Seriously, thanks again. If our paths ever cross, I own you a cool adult beverage..

Jim and Ginnie

PiperDi
    Wow! We couldn't be happier that you also find this useful! It does take some adjusting, and the door will slam pretty hard if you're not careful. We're probably still in the adjusting stage. But as long as we do not have the ability to leave that darn door open we're satisfied. You must live in Tucson? We are currently in Florida headed toward home (Oregon)--we have been traveling since the rally in September and haven't been home yet. We may be in Tucson to visit friends on our way back. Perhaps we might get together if we make it. We're always looking forward to an adult beverage.... Good luck with your door, and let us know how you make out with it! Diane and Jerry

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has a number of cabinet doors that she wants to put kid proof door locks on. The death door may be a good one to limit its opening.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I thought I was the only one who left the door opened then turn around and run into it. Thank you.
    Joe - Dallas, Texas
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ 4x4

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered one for our 369RL after Laura hit her head on the "death door" last night. 2nd time for her and 2 times for me as well after about two weeks of camping.
    Thanks ever so much for the tip PiperDi!

PiperDi
    You are welcome, Laura and Barry! Ours is still serving its purpose well. No more head hits. Will you be attending the rally?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Death door x4. Great idea
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Moving this one to Mods and DIY.

Steve

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thank you! I, too, have banged my head so many times. We are new at full timing, so I have not had time to think about a fix for this silly problem just yet. This is a great way to save my head.
    Gary

2017 Solitude 374TH-R
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually
    2010 Honda NT700V
    2014 Sherco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast