User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running multiple electric heaters?

In my last travel trailer i would run one 1500 watt electric heater and it would do just fine. I plan on using the same heater in my 311BHS along with the electric fireplace. I was thinking about adding a small tabletop one to the master bedroom. I have seen a photo or tow online of these burning outlets. All 3 would only be on during the night when most other big draw items are off.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big concern is that they need to be on different circuits. A 1500 watt heater draws about 12A and the outlet circuits are 15 - 20A depending how GD wired them. Just figure out what's is powered by each circuit and make sure it's not overloaded. There is no standard how GD wired your trailer, so best bet is to operate each circuit one at a time and see what has power and what doesnt. Make your own diagram or write it down and you should be good to go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps while you’re at it, check that all your labels are correct on your panel. Not one of ours was correct! It’s as if they were put on after the trailer was wired and the person who wired it already left for the day (this label looks nice here and this one there....)!
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the first things we did was to buy and install more smoke detectors. If you take any of the electrical outlets apart, you may be shocked at how cheap they are !!!!
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could run a cord from the 110 on the pedistal to a dedicated outlet.......
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good advice... I have a progressive industries EMS installed inside that I believe shows the two separate circuits separate. I could plug the heater into a couple different outlets and see which one is taking the load to determine putting the two plug in ones on two separate circuits right?

I like the idea of two additional smoke detectors.

Other than running the 110 off the pedestal through an open window, I do not see no easy/practical way to do this? I do like the thought.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by av8er79 View Post
    All good advice... I have a progressive industries EMS installed inside that I believe shows the two separate circuits separate. I could plug the heater into a couple different outlets and see which one is taking the load to determine putting the two plug in ones on two separate circuits right?

I like the idea of two additional smoke detectors.

Other than running the 110 off the pedestal through an open window, I do not see no easy/practical way to do this? I do like the thought.
    You could use the EMS to monitor Amp draw, but I meant use separate circuits off your main circuit panel, not the pedestal breakers.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    You could use the EMS to monitor Amp draw, but I meant use separate circuits off your main circuit panel, not the pedestal breakers.

Further expand on this please.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I did in the first post.

Turn off all circuit breakers in your camper, not at the pedestal. Turn on one breaker, see what is powered then turn it back off. Do this for each circuit so you can see which outlets are on isolated circuits, then you can safely plug the heater in to an outlet on a circuit that you know can support the 12A load without causing an overload.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Circuits" are the individual breakers on your AC power panel - they serve X number of outlets and/or appliances each. The EMS shows you the amp draw and voltage on each leg of your power coming in from the pedestal outside. They are two completely different things. Each leg from the pedestal can provide 50 amps of service. Each circuit from your panel can serve (typically) 15 - 20 amps depending on what's on it and what the circuit breaker is rated for.

Rob

PS - Make sure you're not depending on electric heaters in sub-freezing weather. Only your propane furnace will keep the basement/underbelly thawed out and your water lines and utilities from freezing.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast