User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lube plate checking

I bought 12" lube plate with the slotted hole, thinking it would be easier to install, which it was. It is a Camco make. During the trip down to Texas, the bottom side of the lube plate ended up with a lot of cuts to the plastic suggesting that it had been moving back & forth. I sent a picture to Lippert and they declined comment. I also sent it to Camco and they declined comment. One of them suggested that I should put grease on the lube plate to avoid the checking during towing.

I thought the purpose of the lube plate was exactly for the purpose of not having to use grease. I am thinking that the slotted hole is not that stable, so the solid hole would have been a better choice.

Do any of you use grease on the lube plate, or have had this problem with the checking suggesting the lube plate is moving more than it should.

Rich

2019 Solitude 310GK
    2016 GMC Sierra 3500 DENALI
    2019 310GK
    2016 GMC 3500 DENALI SRW DURAMAX

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never greased using a lube plate
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No grease on the lube plate for me I only grease the jaws of the hitch. I suspect some lube plate movement is normal. It is a consumable item that will typically last for 3-5 years so you are going to notice some wear.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My lube plate is scratched up a bit, I dont put any grease on it. The purpose of the lube plate is so you dont need grease.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the one with the solid hole and not the slot. They are cheap. I have had mine for a while and it doesn't look new but it's doing a fine job.
    I would however inspect the hitch when hooked up to make sure that it's holding the pin correctly. You should not have any chucking.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for your responses. I suspected those would be the responses. On a previous 5th wheel when I had some emergency repairs done at a large truck repair shop, they applied grease to the kingpin, as that is what is done on big trucks. What a mess. It took a while to get it all cleaned off.

I agree with 'The Bone's' suggestion of the solid hole which I will do shortly for a spare. Interesting that both the engineers at Camco, and the service rep at GD both suggested grease. Here is a picture or the hitch side of the lube plate. I would attach a picture but I can't figure out how to do that.

Thanks.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1071.jpg  
    2019 310GK
    2016 GMC 3500 DENALI SRW DURAMAX

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The name lube plate is kind of a misnomer for some that maybe have never had a 5th wheel. But its to take the place of greasing the hitch plate. I have the non slotted smaller diameter one and after a year looks pretty much as it did when I put it on. I have a spare (the larger diameter one) in the storage compartment I found for IIRC $5.00. As others, I only grease the hitch jaws or use a small paint brush, dip it in grease and paint the recessed part of the pin.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CLARKR4 View Post
    Thanks to all for your responses. I suspected those would be the responses. On a previous 5th wheel when I had some emergency repairs done at a large truck repair shop, they applied grease to the kingpin, as that is what is done on big trucks. What a mess. It took a while to get it all cleaned off.

I agree with 'The Bone's' suggestion of the solid hole which I will do shortly for a spare. Interesting that both the engineers at Camco, and the service rep at GD both suggested grease. Here is a picture or the hitch side of the lube plate. I would attach a picture but I can't figure out how to do that.

Thanks.

Rich
    I would suggest that you look at the condition of the hitch plate in the truck. I see lots of rust on the lube plate in your image. For the lube plate to work properly the contact surfaces on the pin box and hitch plate need to be smooth. If they are rusted or damaged I would expect damage to the lube plate. It is only plastic. I had a previous trailer that would wrinkle the lube plate within a few thousand miles. The problem was that the pin box plate was slightly warped. Not much just a few thousands. After grinding, sanding and file work while checiking with a straight edged I fixed the problem. Ran it 20k miles after that with no problems. I just looked at my lube plate on my cuent trailer, 12” with slots just like your image, and it looks used and has circular scratches where it has been turning back and fort. Scratches no gouges. Exactly what I would expect.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with J&J. It looks like your hitch plate must not be clean & smooth. I'd clean up both the hitch plate and the pin box and then try again with a new lube plate.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with everyone here,....no grease. I do not grease mine at all, but I do give it a shot of Silicone Lube when I do the front jacks.
    Another point made by Backtrack2015 and J&J, which I think is the BIG one: Keep it clean and smooth. I inspect the Kingpin, Plate and the contact surfaces of the hitch in the truck before every hitch-up. Wipe clean if it doesn't look good.
    I have the exact plate that is in the picture and it only has a few minor scratches.
    The marks in the posted picture look way more severe than I have seen on other rigs. Something is biting into that plate. I would replace it and inspect the hitch for gouges, burrs and jaw engagement. Something is not right.

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast