User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Is the M349 underdesigned for it's own useful weight?

So, based on the cargo capacity on the stickers on 2 different loaded M349's (2874lbs and 2966lbs) I've seen recently, it seems that when loaded with even a small toy, water and gas, that there's minimal remaining capacity for anything else.

Example:
    2966lbs capacity
    155g water = 1302 lbs
    60g fuel = 360lbs
    50" trail rzr with gear and full tank = 1275
    3 mtn bikes and gear = 120lbs

So this is 3057lbs in cargo, so already 91lbs over the cargo capacity with no dishes, clothes, food, tools, or really anything else.

Now, I wouldn't normally travel with the water and fuel tanks full, but that's really beside the point. Especially since when you get near your boondocking site with a full load, and you do fill all the tanks, now you're driving the worst roads to get in, and by my numbers i'd be several 100's of lbs over the 349's 17k GVWR.

Am I mathing this up wrong? Seems even the smallest Momentum could use 8K axels.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikegeek311 View Post
    So, based on the cargo capacity on the stickers on 2 different loaded M349's (2874lbs and 2966lbs) I've seen recently, it seems that when loaded with even a small toy, water and gas, that there's minimal remaining capacity for anything else.

Example:
    2966lbs capacity
    155g water = 1302 lbs
    60g fuel = 360lbs
    50" trail rzr with gear and full tank = 1275
    3 mtn bikes and gear = 120lbs

So this is 3057lbs in cargo, so already 91lbs over the cargo capacity with no dishes, clothes, food, tools, or really anything else.

Now, I wouldn't normally travel with the water and fuel tanks full, but that's really beside the point. Especially since when you get near your boondocking site with a full load, and you do fill all the tanks, now you're driving the worst roads to get in, and by my numbers i'd be several 100's of lbs over the 349's 17k GVWR.

Am I mathing this up wrong? Seems even the smallest Momentum could use 8K axels.
    A big issue I have with most Manufactures, under rated suspension. GD no different...
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just went to Denver RV show today.
    2 different dealers told me any Momentum ordered today moving forward will be a 2021 model and will have the option for 8000lb axels and disc brakes.
    That's pretty neat...

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overweight 349M

I'm a recent new owner of a 2021 349M. Just got back from a recent trip out to the dezert with a turbo rzr in the back, 40 gal of fuel, 150 gal water and trailer weighed in at over 20K lbs. I pull it with a SRW 2011 LML duramax shortbed crewcab and total rig came in at 28.6Klbs. Overweight all the way around. Not good!!!!! Truck pulls fine but just cant' get over how much this model 5ver really needed a 3rd axle. I have minimized tools and other items that add weight to the rig but these are the weights loaded with what I consider a minimum amount of stuff to camp comfortably in the dezert.
    8K axles would help but I'd still be over weight, especially on the SRW truck GCWR. Trailer does have H-rated tires but @ 20Klbs, trailer tires are also under-rated. I love the floorplan of the 349M but its really intended for lighter toys and a minimalist approach to camping.

Gotta think hard about upgrading to the 8K axles and figuring out how to lighten the camping payload
    Last edited by BarrySmith; 12-02-2022 at 09:17 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarrySmith View Post
    I'm a recent new owner of a 2021 349M. Just got back from a recent trip out to the dezert with a turbo rzr in the back, 40 gal of fuel, 150 gal water and trailer weighed in at over 20K lbs. I pull it with a SRW 2011 LML duramax shortbed crewcab and total rig came in at 28.6Klbs. Overweight all the way around. Not good!!!!! Truck pulls fine but just cant' get over how much this model 5ver really needed a 3rd axle. I have minimized tools and other items that add weight to the rig but these are the weights loaded with what I consider a minimum amount of stuff to camp comfortably in the dezert.
    8K axles would help but I'd still be over weight, especially on the SRW truck GCWR. Trailer does have H-rated tires but @ 20Klbs, trailer tires are also under-rated. I love the floorplan of the 349M but its really intended for lighter toys and a minimalist approach to camping.

Gotta think hard about upgrading to the 8K axles and figuring out how to lighten the camping payload
    The H tires @ 4800# capacity are not overloaded. They are figuring on some of that weight being on the pin. I personally do not like to figure it that way... But the industry does this all the time.
    What is the GVW, and payload of your trailer?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    The H tires @ 4800# capacity are not overloaded. They are figuring on some of that weight being on the pin. I personally do not like to figure it that way... But the industry does this all the time.
    What is the GVW, and payload of your trailer?
    349M has a GVWR of 17000lbs. Trailer, as weighed last trip, was 20,150lbs by itself with a a pin weight of 3200lbs.

Good to know on the H-rated tires. I'm not a fan of using the pin weight to derate the load on the axles and tires. IMH opinion, tires and axles should support (with margin) the total weight of the trailer as it sits on the scale by itself.

It's worth mentioning the 349M is a dual axle trailer, not a triple.

If the trailer was only loaded with the Rzr and a full tank of water, I'd be just under the max GVWR of the trailer......and that's with nothing else in the trailer!! What payload did they think somebody was going to haul in a 13ft garage??

This rig should never have been built with 7K axles! The 8K axles should have been standard equipment for this model.......heck, for all GD toyhaulers!
    Last edited by BarrySmith; 12-03-2022 at 06:40 AM.
    2021 349M, 2011 LML Duramax Denalli (still rockin' the CP4 with FASS-165 and lots of Optilube)
    Maggie the fox-red Lab
    2017 Rzr Turbo with lots of goodies

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a fan of using the pin weight to derate the load on the axles and tires. IMH opinion, tires and axles should support (with margin) the total weight of the trailer as it sits on the scale by itself.
    They are not derated. Tires and axles are rated for what they carry. They will never see the full weight of a trailer, it’s impossible. 20% +/- of the load will always be on the pin or front landing gear. If the tires and axles were always rated to the full weight of the trailer. Every unit above 16k would be triple axle. Which includes almost every solitude model. I would prefer not to have the unnecessary extra axle/tires/brakes,etc to maintain or replace. I’m not aware of anyone using 9k axles or if they’re even available for an rv, maybe that would be an option. But the suspension would still be much stiffer than needed transferring unnecessary shock to the unit.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    349M has a GVWR of 17000lbs. Trailer, as weighed last trip, was 20,150lbs by itself with a a pin weight of 3200lbs...
    Did you mean a dry weight of 17K? Online, it shows a GVWR of 20K for the 349M.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    349 is 16,800
    394 is 20,000
    2022 Momentum 351M
    2022 F450

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    Here's the sticker:

17,000 GVWR with 7K axles

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	349M Sticker.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	44061
    2021 349M, 2011 LML Duramax Denalli (still rockin' the CP4 with FASS-165 and lots of Optilube)
    Maggie the fox-red Lab
    2017 Rzr Turbo with lots of goodies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast