User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TOOLS Storing Grease Guns in RV

Anybody found a good clean way of storing your grease guns? The kids bought me a grease gun caddy for my shop once for xmas, they meant well but the plastic just isn't strong enough and deforms over time. A metal one would be much better mounted to a wall and you could tie strap the gun to the holder/caddy. Would be a nasty thing to keep in the RV storage compartment. I actually have three guns two large guns one is pneumatic and a small 3oz gun. I was just going to put them in our truck bed tool box but you know how greasy and slimy they can get over time (Texas 110 degree heat) even if you wipe them down after use.

Ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2293.jpg  
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey just found an idea on line, guy used a 3 inch diameter piece of PVC pipe @ 12 inches long with a cap on the bottom for the gun, the another piece of 3/4 PVC capped on bottom, glued to the side of the 3 inch piece for the hose, could do the same with the smaller 3 oz gun!! If you have a gun with a rigid heck you could make some sort of cap to fit it. Heck you could strap the PVC to the storage compartment wall with some metal tape punched with holes like you might use to hold exhaust pipes up..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msHjSMwg6ew
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-06-2020 at 11:53 AM.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a heathen that leaves it in a plastic bag. I make sure to remove the cartridge when before storing. I'm going to consider the PVC idea as that seems way more elegant
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoot I have most all the PVC pieces now left over from other projects. One of my guns has the needle valve for the Ram's U-joint, one is for the RV wet bolts and the small 3 oz has lithium grease in it. I keep telling people the internet does have good stuff on it!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol! I too use PVC, except mine is all electrical conduit scraps. Been doing this as long as I can remember too! Have 6 in my garage with grease for different purposes and 2 in the 5er (Red n Tacky for running gear and full synthetic to lube the hitch). My tip is to NOT glue the caps on but to instead use a single sheet metal screw. This will let you take them apart to clean to seeped grease out.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the best solution, but I wrap mine in an old tshirt, then put that in a plastic shopping bag and keep it in my truck tool box. It works for me and doesnt make a mess.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a farmer, I’ve always carried mine in a plastic tool box. More convenient than a pipe IMO. Won’t roll. Room for extra tubes of grease along with the gun, though I probably go through more grease on farm equipment in a day than you would on an RV the entire time you own it. I buy my grease by the case.

It is a nasty mess inside, but I use Harbor Freight nitrile gloves before I even open the box.

If we go on a long trip, I would probably take one of the small guns in a smaller box. I’ve thought about a “wheel box” with grease, spare seals, cotter pins, locking devices, bearings and races for all of my trailers.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well got my grease gun caddies installed the the RV yesterday. Now don't start on me not making them pretty,LOL. I already got that from wifey, With all the other crap in the storage compartment, functionality is my priority, making things pretty isn't. I used plastic bands to attach to wall instead of metal banding. I usually find tubs/cans of different kinds of grease I use, then just refill the guns with a putty knife, purge the gun. Moving forward probably just buy new tubes and keep them in a parts bin, less messy.

One thing I would add, I like the plastic band instead of the metal band. I can use it for all kinds of things. Bought it in a roll of 25 ft at Lowe's. I can cut off a length with scissors and install snaps through the holes and make holding bands for water hoses, electrical cords and sorts of things,.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2297.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-08-2020 at 10:06 AM. Reason: additional

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Well got my grease gun caddies installed the the RV yesterday. Now don't start on me not making them pretty,LOL. I already got that from wifey, With all the other crap in the storage compartment, functionality is my priority, making things pretty isn't. I used plastic bands to attach to wall instead of metal banding. I usually find tubs/cans of different kinds of grease I use, then just refill the guns with a putty knife, purge the gun. Moving forward probably just buy new tubes and keep them in a parts bin, less messy.

One thing I would add, I like the plastic band instead of the metal band. I can use it for all kinds of things. Bought it in a roll of 25 ft at Lowe's. I can cut off a length with scissors and install snaps through the holes and make holding bands for water hoses, electrical cords and sorts of things,.
    That looks nice. good idea on the bands too. Not sure I would have thought of that.

I see an air powered gun. My mind is going nuts: Do you grease things that much on an RV? Is it different kinds of grease? Some kind of special fittings? Lots of farm work? Full timer? All I have to grease is shackles; so one gone, one kind of grease.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    That looks nice. good idea on the bands too. Not sure I would have thought of that.

I see an air powered gun. My mind is going nuts: Do you grease things that much on an RV? Is it different kinds of grease? Some kind of special fittings? Lots of farm work? Full timer? All I have to grease is shackles; so one gone, one kind of grease.
    Yes we are getting ready to go fulltime. The pneumatic gun contains red-n-tacky for the shackles and leaf spring bushings, I installed wet bolts all around the suspension. I do them about every 3000 miles. I use the same stuff for the RV wheel bearings but pack the bearings by hand, at least once a year. The second gun also has red-n-tacky but has a grease needle and its used specifically for the U-joint on the Ram trucks and its special fitting, a little more difficult to get to and you need to use a rigid tube. You can still use the gun with the needle tip on regular grease fittings, you just have to place the needle right on top of the spring ball, hold pressure on it and pump. The smaller 3 oz gun has white lithium grease for use on like door hinges, tail gate, hood latch and general purpose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast