Thread: 5er Bike Rack

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenD View Post
    All I read on Hollywood racks, they require 350lb hitch! 303RLs is 300
    Well, we’ve been using the rack for 3 yrs on our 303rls since 2020 and our Riverstone for 1 year and they do not budge or bounce

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fabricated some mounting steel and had a certified welder come to the house and install it on the back of my Momentum 394M two years ago. I purchased a HyperAX RV rated bike carrier for it. My ebike is a little over 60lbs without the battery and my wife's ebike is somewhat lighter, and it is holding up well so far. Seems like it is called a HyperAx Volt and it IS RV and trailer rated.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenD View Post
    All I read on Hollywood racks, they require 350lb hitch! 303RLs is 300
    The hitch on my 303RLS says not to exceed 300 lbs tongue weight as well.....as a person who's lost bikes off the back of a fifth wheel going down the road...I would re-enforce the hitch or do something different. The welds can start to crack or the metal fatigue and you won't know till after it's too late. In my instance....thank goodness...no one was behind me when the bike rack broke, hit the ground, and 3 of 4 bikes ground down to nothing before they fell off.
    Last edited by COGrandDes; 03-19-2023 at 07:46 AM.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    The hitch on my 303RLS says not to exceed 300 lbs tongue weight as well.....as a person who's lost bikes off the back of a fifth wheel going down the road...I would re-enforce the hitch or do something different. The welds can start to crack or the metal fatigue and you won't know till after it's too late. In my instance....thank goodness...no one was behind me when the bike rack broke, hit the ground, and 3 of 4 bikes ground down to nothing before they fell off.
    Thanks for that cautionary tale, what was the combined weight of those 4 bikes?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Thanks for that cautionary tale, what was the combined weight of those 4 bikes?
    Well there was a large men's bike, a medium sized women's bike and two smaller kid bikes for like 12 year old kids plus the weight of the bike rack. You can estimate based on those descriptions....

I had it happen twice. The first time on of my the campers...the hitch broke where it was welded in the middle and then the second time, the bike rack actually broke. I went to a much heavier duty rack the last time and have had no trouble since.....
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the front of the TV? I have a front receiver that I use for my snow plow in the winter. It is rated for 500 pounds. Has anyone put their bike rack on the front of the TV?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if the bikes are at or a little under the hitches rating, if they're not on a solid rack then you can get some problems from the bikes bouncing.
    IMO regardless of the rack they should be strapped on the ends down to the corners of the bumper or whatever is there to attach an eye bolt to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
    I have researched the Fat Tire ebike rack market and have found most tire holding bike rack for the fat tire ebikes are prohibited for use on TTs and fifth wheel RVs. I have a Overdrive Sport 2-Bike 2" Hitch Mounted Rack and am wondering what I need to beef up in order to use it on my Reflection 26RL 5er. Any help is appreciated.
    We have a oneup rack fast and easy to use 5th wheel approved.
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    What about the front of the TV? I have a front receiver that I use for my snow plow in the winter. It is rated for 500 pounds. Has anyone put their bike rack on the front of the TV?
    I use a rack on my front receiver to carry two aluminum frame mtb. My Thule rack that holds bikes by the wheels sits a little high. Doesn't block foreword view, but didn't want any hassles from LEOs. I ended up using an old rack I had that hangs bikes from the top tube. Put the front tires in the pass thru, bungee the bikes so they don't sway. They ride solid & don't have the bump factor like the back of the trailer.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The swagman eSpec rack is rated for TT use. Mine carries 2 54 lb e-bikes. The rack is 50 lbs. so 165 lbs with locks and cover. Receiver is rated at 300 lbs. I keep em as close to the trailers as possible turning the handlebars on the inside bike to clear the back of the rv. Also have the u shaped clamp to hold the rack solid to the receiver. Works great so far. 5000 miles. I do look over the welds frequently. And keep an eye on them via the rear camera. And I purchased a separate insurance e policy on the bikes. Mostly for theft risk.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast