User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - it's 3217. If you call Andersen and select tech support you can talk to them about it. The expert they had me talk to is Archie and he's the one that sold it to me directly and shipped it out (full package, in box). He said the ball in the lowest position on the 3217 is the same as the ball in the highest on the 3220. And in the tallest position it's 2.5" higher than the 3220. It looks like their website is updated with the new base now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve95628 View Post
    I have the standard aluminum AUH that I use with the standard pin box on my '21 3550BH. See the pics of what happened doing a uturn in a cul-de-sac that is slightly off-camber. It scrapped it pretty bad but didn't affect the function. If I really want to I guess I could get a new rail. But I don't see the need. Rather that happen than the truck get damaged.

I called AUH and my dealer to complain. The dealer basically said too bad, with enough articulation it will always hit. AUH said yeah, we know that's why we just released a 2.5" taller version, model 3217, we can ship you one for $1000. Ugh. The good news is the one I have is basically brand new and I can sell on CL probably for close to what I paid for it. I went ahead and purchased the taller AUH. Will try that for a while. I had to get it directly from them as the dealers don't have it and aren't aware of it (at least mine was not).

Attachment 31484

Attachment 31485
    What truck do you have? I have a 2021 F450 with the factory retractable cover on order and was planning to use my Andersen Ultimate Hitch 3220 TBX that I used in my previous truck. I had considered getting the Goosebox until I saw the reports that it could hit the rails and now am wondering if my AUH 3220 will not work either.
    Jerry & Patty
    Ordered: 2021 Ford F450 & 2021 Solitude 390RK-R
    SOLD: 2012 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB & 2018 Solitude 377MBS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 F350 Tremor model. It may be slightly taller (stance) but the bed rails should be exactly the same as your F450. The factory retractable cover is made by Retrax so you're likely to have the same issue (eventually) that I had with the 3220. You should get the 3217 I think. Andersen will tell you the same thing if you call them.

One thing you should consider, and I don't know yet as I've not pulled with the 3217, is how the trailer will stand. I hope I can get it level and not have it tilted back and putting more weight on the rear axle. This is my first fifth wheel and I have to say I'm very surprised by how dismissal the dealers were around here about getting the right setup for height from truck rails and leveling the trailer. I suspect it's more complicated than they let on but don't want to lose a sale. One did tell me that if the trailer is not tall enough they can "flip" the suspension around to raise it. I have no idea what that means or entails. Ugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 F350 Tremor model. It may be slightly taller (stance) but the bed rails should be exactly the same as your F450. The factory retractable cover is made by Retrax so you're likely to have the same issue (eventually) that I had with the 3220. You should get the 3217 I think. Andersen will tell you the same thing if you call them.

One thing you should consider, and I don't know yet as I've not pulled with the 3217, is how the trailer will stand. I hope I can get it level and not have it tilted back and putting more weight on the rear axle. This is my first fifth wheel and I have to say I'm very surprised by how dismissal the dealers were around here about getting the right setup for height from truck rails and leveling the trailer. I suspect it's more complicated than they let on but don't want to lose a sale. One did tell me that if the trailer is not tall enough they can "flip" the suspension around to raise it. I have no idea what that means or entails. Ugh.
    Thanks for the reply. If you have the chance can you measure the height of the bed rail from the bed floor? I had heard that the Tremor does sit higher because of the extra off road setup, I hope you are able to get your trailer level for towing.
    Jerry & Patty
    Ordered: 2021 Ford F450 & 2021 Solitude 390RK-R
    SOLD: 2012 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB & 2018 Solitude 377MBS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Tremor has a factory lift kit I believe. Combined with the taller AUH, it may very well be that the trailer will be nose high. If that's the case, your alternative is to have a subframe built to raise up the trailer. This is what I'm going to do since I want to install 35" tires on my truck, which will raise the bed height 1.5". My plan on the trailer is to install an independent suspension with shocks and have a subframe built.

Yep - it's 3217. If you call Andersen and select tech support you can talk to them about it. The expert they had me talk to is Archie and he's the one that sold it to me directly and shipped it out (full package, in box). He said the ball in the lowest position on the 3217 is the same as the ball in the highest on the 3220. And in the tallest position it's 2.5" higher than the 3220. It looks like their website is updated with the new base now.

2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corgi1 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. If you have the chance can you measure the height of the bed rail from the bed floor? I had heard that the Tremor does sit higher because of the extra off road setup, I hope you are able to get your trailer level for towing.
    I can do that but I believe all the specs are on ford.com and for all the Super Duty trucks, it's the same. I looked into this. As someone else mentioned the Tremor as a factory lift so overall the bed may be higher than non-Tremor Super Duty trucks.

The bed rail height from bed floor looks to be about 21.5" without the Retrax rails (retractable bed cover), Ford specs it at 21.1". With the rails it sits at about 22.5". The rail height from ground on the Tremor is about 58.25" or so (unloaded).

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Your Tremor has a factory lift kit I believe. Combined with the taller AUH, it may very well be that the trailer will be nose high. If that's the case, your alternative is to have a subframe built to raise up the trailer. This is what I'm going to do since I want to install 35" tires on my truck, which will raise the bed height 1.5". My plan on the trailer is to install an independent suspension with shocks and have a subframe built.
    I hope I can avoid that. If that's necessary, who would do this kind of work? I really doubt the dealer would do it and not sure I'd be trusting of them. Hmmm.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope I can avoid that. If that's necessary, who would do this kind of work? I really doubt the dealer would do it and not sure I'd be trusting of them. Hmmm.
    I would never trust the dealer for this kind of thing. Best bet would be a commercial trucking suspension shop. They deal with all sorts of trailer issues, so fabricating a subframe would be a simple task. In fact I'm going to look into this for my trailer which I have an independent suspension installed. I'm going to go with either a Timbrens or Dexter Torflex IS as they are literally less than 1/2 the price of the MorRyde. I figure an IS with shocks will be a big step towards dampening the vibrations in the trailer and I'll also have a lot more suspension compliance.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bhop,

Good looking setup and exactly what I'm looking to do on my 397TH-R when I finally get it delivered. Is the measurement from the rear of the blue pin plate to the bottom of the pin box the same as the front? I can't tell if it is an optical illusion or of because the AUH ball sits behind the pin, it is actually putting more pressure on the plate back there and wearing those white bushings quicker.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USN_Ordi_LDO View Post
    bhop,

Good looking setup and exactly what I'm looking to do on my 397TH-R when I finally get it delivered. Is the measurement from the rear of the blue pin plate to the bottom of the pin box the same as the front? I can't tell if it is an optical illusion or of because the AUH ball sits behind the pin, it is actually putting more pressure on the plate back there and wearing those white bushings quicker.
    There is an excellent You Tube video where the guy who created the Anderson 5th wheel hitch provides graphics to show install and measurement.
    He shows how to measure "A" vs. "B" and the ultimate orientation of the adapter. The hitch itself (part that connects to the truck bed) points to the tailgate so you can orient that easily.

Google You Tube Video Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection Installation - Andersen Hitches Apr 5 2018. Let me know if you cannot find it. Good luck!

Word of advice if I may, make sure the push/pull cable that connects to the slide pin (that goes under the ball neck) is tight. Mine was loose and not connected to the cable well. Also you will need a torque wrench for the hitch bolts (3) and the adapter bolts (4). Always tighten the TOP hitch bolt FIRST. I've had zero problems with mine and been FT over a year now.
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK - FB Paint, 300W Solar, Onan 5500 Gen, DP Windows, Samsung R-Frig, Splendide Stacked W/D.
    Tow Vehicle: 2020 3500 Silverado, DRW, HC Pkg., D-Max 6.6L Diesel, 10 Spd. Allison Trans.
    Hitch: Andersen 3220 Ult 2 With Safety Chain Package.
    Satellite: Winegard Pathway X2/Wally Rec. RV Tow Camera Rear: Furrion Sharkfin 7" Monitor.
    Autoformer/Surge Protect: Hughes 50 AMP

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast