Thread: Off to Alaska

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off to Alaska

Obvioius newby here.
    I have been searching thru this section looking for information on cold weather traveling, in our case to Alaska in August and September. We are going to be boondocking off grid for much of the trip up and back. Stopping at a few campgrounds along the way. It sounds like the heat and insulation in our 18RBE will be adequate to keep the fresh water pipes flowing even if it gets down in the 20s. And the waste water tanks freezing isn't really a problem unless I have to empty them in below freezing temps (which I won't). I'm not seeing many threads on our specific trailer. Should worry much about the fresh water freezing when we are traveling? It sounds like the fresh water tank won't freeze as long as we run the propane furnace while underway.

Am I missing something here? I was worried that I'd have to drain and wintize while traveling between camp sites.

FYI, I have 2 30 gallon propane tanks.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy your trip, we are headed to Alaska as well end of May and plan to return towards the end of September. As to cold weather, specifically freezing, if you find yourself having to travel at or below freezing, set and run your propane furnace at the lowest setting or above, you will be fine.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a generator?

A pair of 30 lb tanks won’t last as long as you think. Closer to days than to weeks, so be frugal and fill when you can.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to Alaska before September you will be fine. I used to live in Fairbanks for 6 years. Starting around sep-oct temps will start to fall. 2x30lb propane tanks will last less then a week in freezing temps. I did do some 3 day winter camping in Jan in the Fairbanks area. It was in an 06 Wildwood and I never had any issues with anything freezing up.
    2018 Ram CC,LB DRW Longhorn 6.7, AISIN, 4.10s

2021 Momentum 397TH-R