Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electric Stabilizer jacks & friction doors

Recently picked up our new 2020 287RLTS. On the inspection I noticed that the pads on the stabilizer jacks will catch on a motor mounting bolt when letting the jacks down. It does not stop the jacks from working, just gets the pads out of alignment and will have to straighten them out before they touch the ground. The inspector agreed that did not seem right, but one of the techs said it was normal.

The temp fix is not to let the jacks go completely up. I stop just before they get to the motor area. When I take it in next time for any warranty work I plan to bring the jacks back up...if need be they can discuss with GD.

Anyone else have this issue?

Once I got the unit home I went to latch the doors open and noticed this unit did not have the outside door latches to hold the door open. I understand that the doors are "friction" doors? Suppose to stay open by themselves?

Already noticed that does not work! Pretty windy that day and the wind was blowing the doors shut. There any type of adjustment? Already bought door latches...thought I would ask before installing.

Thanks,
    2023 Rockwood Signature 2442 BS
    2022 Ram 3500 Longhorn Limited , 6.7 CTD, 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless I’m misunderstanding what you are saying, the pads will straighten themselves when they touch the ground.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Unless I’m misunderstanding what you are saying, the pads will straighten themselves when they touch the ground.
    No...the pads will almost become vertical to the ground by the time the pad gets by the bolt. Have to move the pad a little horizontal, then they will straighten out as they hit the ground.

Even if they did straighten out, I do not think it should be normal for the pads to be rubbing against a mounting bolt...IMHO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need a photo. My first thought is to cut off any access on the bolt to help the situation, but that's my "uninformed" suggestion.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A picture would be a big help. Maybe something got put on backwards.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about the newer trailers but on our 2014 if you run the jacks all the way up they are prone to blowing the fuse. The fuse is next to the battery so it is easy to replace but I still stop just before the jacks get all the way up so as not to blow the fuse.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krsmitty View Post
    Once I got the unit home I went to latch the doors open and noticed this unit did not have the outside door latches to hold the door open. I understand that the doors are "friction" doors? Suppose to stay open by themselves? Already noticed that does not work! Pretty windy that day and the wind was blowing the doors shut. There any type of adjustment? Already bought door latches...thought I would ask before installing.
    Thanks,
    I'm not a fan of the "friction door" having run into the same issue with wind blowing the door against the side or slamming it shut. Also it becomes a problem leaning out over the steps to fully open the door while my dog is in a hurry to get outside. I thought about a latch similar to the one used to hold up the front cargo door. I had that arrangement on my previous TT.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krsmitty View Post
    Recently picked up our new 2020 287RLTS. On the inspection I noticed that the pads on the stabilizer jacks will catch on a motor mounting bolt when letting the jacks down. It does not stop the jacks from working, just gets the pads out of alignment and will have to straighten them out before they touch the ground. The inspector agreed that did not seem right, but one of the techs said it was normal.

The temp fix is not to let the jacks go completely up. I stop just before they get to the motor area. When I take it in next time for any warranty work I plan to bring the jacks back up...if need be they can discuss with GD.

Anyone else have this issue?

Once I got the unit home I went to latch the doors open and noticed this unit did not have the outside door latches to hold the door open. I understand that the doors are "friction" doors? Suppose to stay open by themselves?

Already noticed that does not work! Pretty windy that day and the wind was blowing the doors shut. There any type of adjustment? Already bought door latches...thought I would ask before installing.

Thanks,
    Don't know about the jack issue but our 2020 337rls friction door came with a latch at the bottom of the door to attach to trailer for wind. Seems like maybe the factory forgot to install one on your unit?
    Tim & Terrie
    2018 Dodge 3500 SRW
    2020 GD Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilly1155 View Post
    Don't know about the jack issue but our 2020 337rls friction door came with a latch at the bottom of the door to attach to trailer for wind. Seems like maybe the factory forgot to install one on your unit?
    I saw a You tube video on my model (287RLTS) and they did not have latches on that one either. I bought a couple latches, will install them one of these days.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: the friction door
    We have a solitude it has a magnetic latch for the door, to hold it back. Handier than the plastic hook em-up standard type latches. Magnet holds very well. Every time i saw a new rig that has friction hinges i had envy, now hmmmmm.
    But we had a flagstaff microlite for a couple of years prior, and the wind blows like heck in Banff, Alberta, our favourite camping area back then, that friction door was awesome! And we are talking strong winds, not a breeze. We loved it so much, we moan about wishing we had friction door hinges on the Solitude. Don’t know if you can tighten these friction hinges, it wasn’t an issue for us.
    Now I question who made the ones on the microlite, to who makes them for the reflections. Seems like all good inventions start off great, then the idea booms, and many start making the product, cutting corners in manufacturing, thus the product becomes crappy. Gee I was seriously wanting to look into friction hinges....now I’m deflated on the idea.
    2019, Solitude 375RES
    2018, RAM 3500, Dually, Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, 4:10, AISIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast